PDA

View Full Version : need suggestions for a gun buy

LEWETHETIGER73
10-19-2012, 06:35 AM
So looks like I will finally be able to get some time off to go hunting next year and I need a gun. I have been thinking either a shot gun or pistol and I would like some suggestions. I know some pistols have the stopping power for deer but I don't know the accuracy at range and the same goes for shot gun. I am open to any shotgun right now but I was thinkg the remington 870 with pistol grip and collapsable stock or a 1911 style pistol.

Ok, learn me!! :durr

SSDude
10-19-2012, 07:57 AM
First if you were born on or after 1/1/1973 you are required to complete a hunter safety course before they will sell you a license.
In regards to the pistol it must be 22 cal or larger and with a minimum barrel length of 5 1/2" measured from the firing pin to the end of the barrel. If you're not an accomplished pistol shooter i wouldn't recommend going pistol.
The shotgun or rifle choice can be determined by the area you plan to hunt. I think it's safe to say all of the state hunting allows shotgun but from about midstate up rifle is allowed. (check the regs)
Shotgun will give you the most versatility. The 870 is a great platform that's been around forever. I have one set up, for when i hunt the southern part of the state scoped with a fully rifled barrel and shooting sabot slugs it can hit almost as good as a rifle at 100 yards.
2012 wisconsin regs http://dnr.wi.gov/files/PDF/pubs/wm/WM0431.pdf

Wagonbacker9
10-19-2012, 09:51 AM
Using a pistol to hunt deer is not going to be recommended by basically anyone. After 30 yards your chances of a humane kill are slim to none. As SSDude said, locally you'll need to hunt with a shotgun, but if you're going up north I would go with something in .243 or a similar caliber, a Remington 700 is a very fine deer rifle available in your choice of calibers.

A pistol grip and collapsable stock is more of a tactical shotgun than a hunting gun. I have a SpeedFeed IV stock (standard stock with pistol grip) on my Mossberg 500 which I feel works great for shooting clays, and it also holds 4 shells in the stock should I wish to deploy it in a home defence scenario (with a shorter barrel of course). Honestly, it sounds to me like you're a little confused as to what you want so I'd do a LOT of research before plunking any money down.

LEWETHETIGER73
10-19-2012, 03:44 PM
I don't plan on buying anything until next year, so I got some time to learn. I also plan on going with some friends to a range to see what feels the best. Thanks for the tips so far!

smokin'red35th
10-19-2012, 08:04 PM
The Rifle zone's have changed and you can now hunt in more areas of the state with rifle. Depending on what you plan to hunt, and the areas you hunt, will determine what kind of gun you'll need. Look at the map on page 21 of the gun deer regs for where rifles are legal to use (http://dnr.wi.gov/files/PDF/pubs/wm/WM0431.pdf). It's no longer divided into a north/south region.

If you're going for deer, most will recommend no smaller than a .243. For an all-around rifle I would go with a .308. it's more than capable of taking down any deer, plus many other species if you ever get a chance to hunt bear, elk, etc. The ammo is very abundant and inexpensive compared to many other rifle rounds, so that would be my recommendation.

A remmington 700 or Savage would be a great rifle and both are quite accurate right out of the box. You really cant go wrong with either.

Rocket Power
10-19-2012, 08:46 PM
Using a pistol to hunt deer is not going to be recommended by basically anyone.
The 8pt buck who antlers are mounted on my wall, may disagree. ;)
Fo a handgun, I would use a 10mm in an auto pistol or magnum revolver. Glock sells a 6" barrel for the G20. Hunting with a handgun is like bowhunting, choose your shot and don't try a longer shot than you should, and if they didn't change it this year the handgun barrel has to be at least 5.5".

For shotgun if you're talking the pistol gripped shoulder stock, then go for it. I like the controlability of the pistol grip shoulder stock. If you're doing the adjustable length pistol grip stock, don't get a POS ATI stock. Get a Knoxx style that reduces the recoil which I think Blackhawk is making now. The adjustability may help get it feeling the best for you if a standard length non adjustable is too long or short.

smokin'red35th
10-19-2012, 09:33 PM
If you decide on a shotgun, I would go with a Remington 870 pump in 12 guage. They are dead nuts reliable and will never fail you. You can use them for deer, turkey, duck, goose, pheasant, you name it. They also double as a good home defense gun. An 870 is one gun every gun-owner should have in their safe. You can use it for anything and it will never let you down.

Russ Jerome
10-19-2012, 11:52 PM
Unless your a very experienced shooter a pistol is challenging to kill a deer for several reasons.

Unless you shoot shotgun slugs often, the kick although not painfull dose not aid in accurate shots.
Unless your zoned deer hunting area requires use of a shotgun rifles are superior deer weapons.

Anything 222 or 223 and up is legal but again not suggested, Ive killed plenty with AR-15's but last
year was my last nearly loosing a large buck after double lung shot. 243 is an awesome round, there
is no kick at all and allows you to keep eyes open and not flitch that is key for us who shoot long
range targets. 243 kills moose every year. 260 is another amazing round that doesnt kick and devestating
on deer. 30 calliber and larger rounds like 30-06 and 308 are old favorites, loud bangers that no longer
have the flat trajectory of the above rounds.

smokin'red35th
10-25-2012, 06:28 PM
I looked into using .223 for deer last year. A ballistic round would kill a deer, they kill humans very effectively with FMJ's. However I decided against it because it is such a small round and IMO there are much better rounds on the market that will do a better job at killing a deer quickly and humanely.

I bought a 7mm Rem Mag last year, and it is a very fast, flat shooting round that is great for everything from antelope and deer, to moose, bear, or anything else from close to very long ranges. The down side is 7mm mag packs a punch and while fine for hunting, if you want to target shoot at the range, it will wear on you quickly. .270 is the same way, small round but has a heavy recoil.

I would love to have a .243 some day. I've heard from many people its a great deer gun because of its ability to drop a deer and has relatively light recoil.

Russ Jerome
10-25-2012, 08:06 PM
I would love to have a .243 some day. I've heard from many people its a great deer gun because of its ability to drop a deer and has relatively light recoil.

You will not be disapointed. No kick and drops deer like a 300 WinMag. One of my doe's last year was offhand, thru 4x scope while she was at a light jog, never blinked my eyes while I watched her roll over thru scope on impact. The little bullet defies physics, those 243 thru 6.5mm bullets just sail flat and have devastating energy.

Josepy
10-26-2012, 08:25 AM
You will not be disapointed. No kick and drops deer like a 300 WinMag. One of my doe's last year was offhand, thru 4x scope while she was at a light jog, never blinked my eyes while I watched her roll over thru scope on impact. The little bullet defies physics, those 243 thru 6.5mm bullets just sail flat and have devastating energy.

What he said. I have a ruger .243 mkII and I love the gun. Granted I have not been up north hunting in 10 years.

For shotgun I have a Remington 1187 semi auto. Cantilever barrel and Leupold scope. 100yds I can have all the slugs touching. Gun is accurate to 150 yards plus no problem.

smokin'red35th
10-26-2012, 07:18 PM
What he said. I have a ruger .243 mkII and I love the gun. Granted I have not been up north hunting in 10 years.

For shotgun I have a Remington 1187 semi auto. Cantilever barrel and Leupold scope. 100yds I can have all the slugs touching. Gun is accurate to 150 yards plus no problem.

is that with a rifled slug barrel?

Wagonbacker9
10-26-2012, 07:29 PM

A canti barrel will almost always be rifled.

Josepy
10-26-2012, 07:44 PM

Yes sir. I use the Hornady SST ammo. It grouped the best out of all the others. It was an expensive test but worth it.