PDA

View Full Version : Registration question?

ugly85
10-15-2012, 07:34 PM
I am planning on getting my 91 mustang registered this week. I have heard that since it is not a primary driver I should get those ugly blue/red plates for $175 and be done with it. If I am carrying regular insurance on it does it matter if I get regular or collector plates. Thanks.

michelle
10-15-2012, 07:51 PM
Is it a completely stock car?

ugly85
10-15-2012, 08:12 PM
Nope, It's modded a fair amount

michelle
10-15-2012, 08:27 PM
Hobbyist plate. DMV is picky. If you plan on having it for a few years, the registration will "pay for itself". I am not aware of it making a difference with insurance.

I have classics on my SHO and trucks.

Car Guy
10-15-2012, 08:32 PM
PLEASE for the sake of looking a thousand times better get the hobbyist plates. You will have no problem being approved for those. Collector plates are meant for 100% factory stock vehicles and hobbyist are for modified vehicles. In the past WISDOT let anything get a collector plate but have really been picky in the past few years.

EDIT: Insurance will not care about which plate you have. Only how many miles you drive that vehicle per year and for what purpose.

ugly85
10-15-2012, 08:43 PM
What is the cost and stipulations on the hobby plates? The car is an HCI 306. I don't plan on driving it during the winter. Just during the summer/spring.

Car Guy
10-15-2012, 08:54 PM
The only difference with hobbyist is they are meant for modified vehicles. Everything else if the same including cost. All the info you need in on WISDOT's website.

JOHN 86GT
10-16-2012, 02:12 AM
Do they need to inspect a car before they give you hobbyist plates . (waukesha county)?

pOrk
10-16-2012, 04:39 AM
Not normally

BR3W CITY
10-16-2012, 10:58 AM
Things have really clamped down in past years. I reg'd my 66 about 3 years ago, all I had to do was pay the money and give them all the info, pretty much like a regular car (although the woman was convinced the gvwr mattered, which it DOES NOT, unless its vintage farm or military stuff).

Almost IMMEDIATELY after I got my reg, another member (don't remember name, old camaro iirc) sent in for his and had to send them 4 corners pictures of the car etc, which they did not require me to do.

As far as a physical inspection, no we don't require visual inspections on any cars unless you A. have a salvage title and want it declared "repaired" by the hwy patrol, or B. you built a kit or tribute car and want it to have a "created" title.

xxtremeteam
10-16-2012, 11:11 AM
I plan to do collector plates this winter I am very glad I have pics of my car with the stock boring hood incase they want/need pics

JOHN 86GT
10-16-2012, 11:25 AM
I would not want to draw attention that I may not have (any) the required smog junk on the car right now. It would be nice save a few bucks though.

Car Guy
10-16-2012, 11:54 AM
I would not want to draw attention that I may not have (any) the required smog junk on the car right now.

This would be the least of my worries.

michelle
10-16-2012, 01:30 PM
I didn't think it took too long to get my collector plates for the SHO and then eventually for my '47 Ford (same number, just with a letter after it).

Good idea to apply and wait over winter. The DMV will not issue temporary plates. They expect you to purchase a full year of registration while you wait if you want to drive the vehicle.

I like the look of collector over hobbyist plates.

JOHN 86GT
10-16-2012, 03:01 PM
This would be the least of my worries.

?

Moparjim
10-16-2012, 03:45 PM
I would get collector or hobbyist for the money and hassle savings alone not having to reg it every year. It can save a ton insurance wise with certain companies as well. I have collectors on a ton of cars including a modded talon and galant. State farm has awesome specialty or collector insurance I pay like $10 a month, and can state value of it. Collectors plates is what helped qualify those cars for it, as opposed to obvious classics or like my viper.

Also, others have had trouble getting collectors lately on modded cars but for some reason I have gotten them no questions asked on the talon and galant within the past year even, and even with an fmic and other mods clearly visible in the pics.

Moparjim
10-16-2012, 03:45 PM
I even got them on my challenger mega caged tube chassis car lol.

ugly85
10-16-2012, 05:12 PM
Thanks for the opinions and insight.

Car Guy
10-16-2012, 07:16 PM
The only month a hobbyist or collector plate is not valid is January. HOWEVER, you can buy a temporary plate for $30 that allows you to legally drive January. This is in response to the fast growing number of cars becoming old enough for collector plates but nothing more than a year round 'daily driver' vehicle. The state knows exactly what people are doing. That is why they started enforcing the difference between a collector or hobbyist vehicle.

WI_Dave
10-17-2012, 10:24 AM
I had hobbyist plates once, there are 3 classes of hobbyist, for the one I used they only needed a pic of vehicle to make sure it was still identifiable as original vehicle, and a list of what was done to meet qualifications for that class.