PDA

View Full Version : Tire shippin'

Car Guy
10-08-2012, 03:57 PM
Anybody know of a more reasonable way to ship tires? The best I found thus far for both is $80 through FedEx ground. I thought that was a tad high but I have not shipped tires in a while. Each tire is 12" wide by 26" tall and weighs 30lbs. From 53207 to Sarasota, FL 34234.

03CVLX
10-08-2012, 04:19 PM
I've never tried this myself. But I have heard that Greyhound does freight and can be dirt cheap. Only minor issue is I believe your customer would be required to pickup the tires at the greyhound terminal.

nismodave
10-08-2012, 07:11 PM
Justin,

When you go to Fed ex site to get a quote....do a DETAILED quote....And enter the dimentions manually 60 Lbs....26 by 26 by 24......Use plastic wrap to band the two tires together.....When I got the quote with all your info I got $56.

Car Guy
10-08-2012, 09:46 PM
Justin,

When you go to Fed ex site to get a quote....do a DETAILED quote....And enter the dimentions manually 60 Lbs....26 by 26 by 24......Use plastic wrap to band the two tires together.....When I got the quote with all your info I got $56.

Dave I did exactly that and got $78. The one extra service I chose was insurance for $400 but that should not be $20. I will try the quote again.

UPDATE: I ran the quote again and got the same $80 for residential delivery. A business address is $76. Maybe I will go to FedEx and see what they say. I don't know why your quote was less by a 1/4.

Cryptic
10-08-2012, 09:52 PM
I have had good luck with greyhound express. Shipped some fenders very reasonably. Boxes were huge.

Sent from my A200 using Tapatalk 2

Car Guy
10-08-2012, 09:59 PM
I just got a quote through Greyhound and the same, $80.

Car Guy
10-08-2012, 10:25 PM
I expected UPS to be slighty more and is, $90.

Car Guy
10-10-2012, 11:04 PM
* RANT WARNING * RANT WARNING * RANT WARNING * RANT WARNING * :devil

I have been dealing with FedEx exclusively for over ten years and never had a problem of any kind shipping items. Tires have always been the easiest to ship and have never given me hassle, until now. I go to the main FedEx terminal customer service center by the airport. I roll the two tires in that I taped together very well with high quality shipping tape. I could immediately sense a serious lack of enthusiasm by the two employees behind the counter when I lifted the two tires on the scale. Apparently the 'new' policy is only tires banded together with 'real' banding (plastic or metal) can be shipped together. I asked what is 'real' banding and they told me like Tire Rack does. I asked what if I buy rope and tie/knot both of them together like there is no tomorrow. Nope, that is not allowed what so ever. OK, *sigh* I just want them shipped. I separate them and get a quote for the two shipped separate which is a LOT more than the two together. THEN they tell me I cannot insure them because they are not in a box. Now I'm getting seriously irritated and ask what the reason for that could possibly be. Here is what I was told . . . . THE TIRES COULD GET DAMAGED IN SHIPPING IF NOT IN A BOX and FedEx cannot be responsible for that. At this point my patience was wearing paper thin. They are pieces of rubber not fucking glass flowers!!! As I was walking out to go elsewhere I was given this piece of outstanding advice by another employee who walked in on the situation. She said be sure to wrap the tires in bubble wrap before putting them in a box to avoid damage. At this point I almost had an out of body experience while soaking in all this great info. WOW!!! Needless to say I walked out of there feeling like my left nut has more intelligence than all those counter workers combined.

I then go to USPS and while the quote was on par with FedEx they wanted nothing to do with shipping two tires like that. I know better to ‘inconvenience’ USPS workers and walked out. My life is not worth two tires. :rolf

I then go to the main UPS terminal in the OC. The guy there was very helpful with everything after I explained my situation. I did pay more than FedEx or USPS and they will not get there for almost a week but THERE IS NOTHING LIKE GOOD CUSTOMER SERVICE. I already burned up a roll of $3 shipping tape wrapping the tires but the guy was able to re-tape them together at no extra charge and without hassle or grumbling. UPS surcharges for shipping tires ($8.50) but other than that they have no problem shipping them bare like that.

In a nutshell the tires are shipped and life moves on. HOWEVER, $100 to ship two tires to FL is crazy in my book! :rolleyes:

nismodave
10-10-2012, 11:36 PM
Im a salesperson for GT Racing Tires, and we ship tires via Fed Ex every day.......We have only had a handfull of issues.

And we ship them using plastic wrap....Never had anything said to us about banding.

Car Guy
10-11-2012, 12:12 AM
Im a salesperson for GT Racing Tires, and we ship tires via Fed Ex every day.......We have only had a handfull of issues.

And we ship them using plastic wrap....Never had anything said to us about banding.

Yeah that sounds right. I probably dealt with two of FedEx's finest, just my luck.