PDA

View Full Version : 1994 E-150 Doghouse removal

03CVLX
10-06-2012, 06:30 PM
Hey Guys,

I am going with a friend to look at a 94 E-150 High top conversion van with only 94K miles, that has been converted with a handicapped access lift. I really want to check it over good for them and was considering pulling the doghouse to get a good look at the engine. Does anyone know what size socket I will need to pull the bolts for the doghouse. The van is 45+ Mins away and I want to travel as lightly as I can.

According to the info I have found so far its got the 302/AODE??? Does that seem right for a 1994?? Anything in particular I should check for on it?

wrath
10-06-2012, 08:07 PM
I know a 1998 is tool-less to remove. I don't think Ford E-series have changed much in 20 years.

03CVLX
10-07-2012, 12:29 AM
I know a 1998 is tool-less to remove. I don't think Ford E-series have changed much in 20 years.

Ok, thanks. I googled it before posting and of course I got different answers. A couple places said all clips and some said clips and bolts. My initial plan was to yank the doghouse and get a decent look at as much of the motor as I could. See if its leaking anything obvious etc. If I get there and I can't pull it, we will just do the best we can.

easytoremember
10-07-2012, 03:37 PM
my 89 chevy 20 series was clipped on. different make I know but still... really old conversion van

Russ Jerome
10-07-2012, 09:49 PM
Im about 90% sure tooless removal goes back thru 94 E vans but in the 80's I would bring a 13mm, 10mm and 8mm just to be safe. Those sockets will cover any small items thruout chassis you may want to check out. A long extention helps on fords (battery hold down, firewall retainers on early doghouses ect).

On the early E-vans I would check out exhaust manifolds, if rotted the bolts can be a pain. If its had a water pump installed make sure no well meaning wrench has broken Fords stupid excessively long bolts in timing cover area. When early 90's ford cats go they are audible as you whack them with hammer. May be AIR injected at manifolds, check out stainless piping. Fords of that era a patheticaly weak and gas guzzlers so dont judge the power when driving as a problem, they are slow and thirsty. Smell the trans fluid at dipstick on the E4OD, should wreak if overheated. That van uses the 1960's design "twin I beam", bushing wear and sway bar wear will be visible if rough shape. Ball joints are problems on them, cheap parts but the I beam's eat them due to design (wheels dont go up and down but scrub in a crazy radius as they travel thru arc....forgetting something but thats a start :)

michelle
10-08-2012, 05:53 AM
Our '98 didn't require tools.

Gregor
10-08-2012, 09:50 PM
My 2005 E-150 work truck doesn't ether. I dropped a receipt slip back there once.........