PDA

View Full Version : f450 6.0 TD won't start, any ideas?

easytoremember
09-27-2012, 06:35 PM
had it parked in front of the house for about a week, moved it from the street to a spot in the driveway last night. Went to take it out tonight, won't start, just cranks and cranks... any ideas? It's an 06 w 63k on it.

SmokinRAM114
09-27-2012, 06:49 PM
had it parked in front of the house for about a week, moved it from the street to a spot in the driveway last night. Went to take it out tonight, won't start, just cranks and cranks... any ideas? It's an 06 w 63k on it. sounds about the mileage for the "coupler" on the back of the high pressure oil pump to shit the bed and cause low oil pressure to the injectors... which in fords case pops off the injectors. only thing strange to me is generally they wont start once theyre hot if its a hpop issue. make sure the fuel filter housing has fuel in it n try to prime the fuel system incase it got air or something in the line.

easytoremember
09-27-2012, 06:51 PM
i noticed blue smoke out the tail pipe after I tried to start it... battery is drained now... I'll have to go buy a new charger is my old one is garbage

easytoremember
09-27-2012, 06:56 PM
"ake sure the fuel filter housing has fuel in it n try to prime the fuel system incase it got air or something in the line"

that's next to the oil filter on top of the motor right? I can just open the cap out without worrying about getting air in the system that way and needing to bleed it again, right?

SmokinRAM114
09-27-2012, 07:01 PM
yea on top of the motor next to the oil filter.

easytoremember
09-27-2012, 07:13 PM
Yep it has fuel in it. Bluish green in color. If it's that HPOP thing how would I diagnose that?... but then again you said that normally doesn't start when it's hot right?... Thanks for the help guys this is my first diesel...

easytoremember
09-27-2012, 07:21 PM
So Get this. I YouTube 6.0 PowerStroke won't start, and I come across this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1M7fQCXQaSo

My truck has acted just like this guy's ever since I got it from my cousin (he died) 3 weeks ago. The blue smoke on cold start, the not wanting to shift until warm, the misfire... everything... any help is appreciated!

easytoremember
09-27-2012, 08:02 PM
The more and more I research this, I'm thinking FICM

eyeball
09-27-2012, 09:30 PM
Inop glow plugs can also cause a no start. Check those first. Then borrow a scan tool. Watch injection control pressure when cranking. If it's a hp oil leak at the STC fitting(coupler) then ICP will be low when cranking. It needs to be 700PSI or so, I forget the spec, to fire. If OK, then check FICM voltage. Google the specs. Rough running at start-up is usually caused by injector stiction.

LIL EVO
09-27-2012, 10:00 PM
Common issue on the ficm. I can rebuild it for you on the cheap.

floaters
09-27-2012, 10:10 PM
ficm or check the fuse for the ficm

easytoremember
09-27-2012, 10:15 PM
Thanks for the help everyone.... evo i might just hit you up for that. Ill do more diagnosing when the sun is out

easytoremember
10-03-2012, 08:56 AM
So i got to testing the ficm. 60volts at key on. As my wife cranked it, it still held 60 volts, and boom started up best it ever has...

So ive been driving it around seems good. Is there a diesel injector treatment i could use? Like the lucas I use in my other cars... yep noob question

DirtyMax
10-03-2012, 09:06 AM
The fact that it wouldn't start then all of a sudden did is concerning. My brother just had to replace the FICM, 2 injectors, and HPOP on his 6.0 all within about 60 days.... ouch. The next thing he bought was a FOR SALE sign.

You could run a bottle of Stanadyne through it to clean everything up.