PDA

View Full Version : 3.1L Dentonation, oily intake

pjturkey
09-27-2012, 04:41 PM
Ok, I've done damn near everything to get my 95 cutlass ciera to stop pinging. I run premium all the time, did the plugs, wires, lower intake gasket, replaced coil packs, removed and cleaned throttle body, fuel filter etc....

I even installed an oil separator as recommended from someone on this board because it made a hell of alot of sense. I'm fairly certain the car has no vacuum leaks and this is a problem of oil degrading the fuel. The only thing I havent done is replace the injectors which are expensive. There is a good deal of oil in the intake plenum. I tried a seafoam treatment into a vacuum line and it cleared it up for a few days but now it's happening again.

I was going to buy an actual PCV catch can for $95 from summit thinking my $10 harbor freight oil separator wasnt doing the trick but I wanted some opinions before I spend the money.

My other thought was that the PCV system in general sounds like a horrible idea. Why would I want oil vapor going back into my motor? Why not just cap off the throttle body vacuum port and run a draft tube similar to what early motors had. Will it created enough vacuum from the air going past to suck the blowby out of my valve cover? thoughts??