PDA

View Full Version : What to buy?

Scales
09-15-2004, 10:38 PM
So I'm lookin at subframe connectors as my next buy. I haven't decided on weld-ons or bolt-ons... Any thoughts??

SlowStee
09-15-2004, 11:44 PM
Weld on.....All i see is ripping on bolt-on SFC's

BAD LS1
09-16-2004, 01:37 PM
I run bolt ons since 2k miles and we all know my car is no virgin, no complaints from this cat.
:3gears:

Scales
09-16-2004, 07:58 PM
I've heard good and bad about both. I'm kinda leanin towards the bolt-ons though.

Tom, what brand are you using?

scubastang
09-16-2004, 08:28 PM
umm is this really a questions?

of course weld on bud :wtf

Memphis
09-16-2004, 09:32 PM
I run bolt ons on the wifes 67...no problems at all. They are alston pieces.

Scales
09-16-2004, 10:12 PM
I guess I'm kinda leaning away from the weld-ons since I don't know how to weld, nor do I know anyone that could weld em on for me. I've heard of the bolts bending/stretching/breaking, but I'm not running a 10 second monster. I'm just really sick of hearing all the "F-body squeaks" from every bump in the road....

scubastang
09-17-2004, 04:05 PM
thats why you just get a shop or someone you know to weld them in...very easy to weld and you can weld up some of your torque boxes too while your in there. I don't see a point to bolt in as like you said below - the point of this is to connect your subframe to your unibody to prevent twisting and motion - you really think some lil bolts are gonna do much good? Your doing this for a reason, so do it all the way then so to speak. Your still going to have flex even if you have a 10sec car or a 14 sec car. I have seen hundreds of mustang subframes on and I don't think I have seen 1 that was not welded on - and this is one of the most basic of modifications.

After I have done these (make sure your body isn't preloaded too much) once they helped squeaking a bit, but usually your just hearing worn joints/suspension parts that these wont help much (mayyybe a lil)

steve

I guess I'm kinda leaning away from the weld-ons since I don't know how to weld, nor do I know anyone that could weld em on for me. I've heard of the bolts bending/stretching/breaking, but I'm not running a 10 second monster. I'm just really sick of hearing all the "F-body squeaks" from every bump in the road....

blyth18md
09-17-2004, 09:19 PM
Im going to recommend weld-in style sfc's.

Im also going to suggest the spohn set, they make really nice stuff and i wish i would have purchased them instead of my alstons. I hadnt done too much research before i made my purchase.

Alstons are great for straight line acceleration or drag purposes, but they also compromise a a bit of ground clearance.

Spohns set supports the subframe at different areas and are supposed to be better suited for corner carving heavy flex, of autocross...road race..heavy street use...while still affective for straight acceleration.

Im not completely positive where each attaches or exactly why which is better suited for what application this is just the overview i have noticed in my research.

NOTE: i havent installed my subframes yet, im not sure im going to either, i might try to sell them and go with a 6-point cage instead. My interior plastics were in terrible condition so they have been removed. A cage will tie the car together better than the sfc's and the car will look ok without a full interior IMO ...sorry for gettin off topic

Max 93
09-17-2004, 10:13 PM
I'm voting blower fpr the Buick :rolf

rsscoty
09-19-2004, 07:43 AM
While I think a blower for the skylark would be really cool! I had to vote for the weld on's. They will give you much more support, longer life. Any muffler shop should be able to weld them in, or there may be a membeer or two here thaat can weld. If I were still living in Milwaukee I would be a ble to do it, unless you want to bring the car to Arkansas :rolf

Scoty

Scales
09-23-2004, 12:54 AM
So like I said above... I have no one to weld anything for me. I suppose I could ask Dennis at the infumous Midus, but, what am I really gonna gain? I know people running bolt-ons, and they don't have problems. I have no problems hunting down a welder, I just wanna make sure it's worth my time and money.....

p.s. the Buick is not gettin a blower!!
(damn unrealistic voters) :goof

blyth18md
09-23-2004, 10:25 AM
Well i voted weld-in mainly do to the fact that spohn offers a superior design, which is only attainable in weld-in style sfc.

Plus once its on you wont ever have to worry about nuts backing off, or expansion of the bolt holes(however unrealistic). Do it right once and forget about it.

Make sure the suspension is loaded when they are being installed.

Just trying to keep ya from regretting.

bustamove
09-29-2004, 08:45 PM
blower for the buick...you drive it more :punch: :goof

Scales
09-29-2004, 08:54 PM
blower for the buick...you drive it more :punch: :goof

Ohhhhh... Dem's fightin words!! :asshole :tomato

Stop by me tomorrow at work on 1 of your 184 breaks. :D

Knyghtmare
09-29-2004, 09:24 PM
Mine are welded in. There are customs... but before I got these I was going to get the Spohn ones.

MitchMeister-
10-06-2004, 06:49 PM
i have weld ones.. .they are custom made and damn.. do they help handling..

Formuhawk99
10-30-2004, 04:32 PM
Recommendations on reputable places to have weld in SFC's installed??

69Chevelle
10-30-2004, 10:03 PM
Rod and Competition in Butler call Pat@262-781-9044 tell him ryan sent you. :)

69Chevelle
10-30-2004, 10:54 PM
O ya i like the blower for the skylark. :3gears:

Formuhawk99
10-30-2004, 11:26 PM
Thanks Ryan.

Al
11-04-2004, 01:11 AM
Weld em on and get a good rust protectant spray. heck, get the whole thing undercoated.

If you go bolts, get grade 8 bolts for strength. But a new issue comes with that strength. The bolt won't break, but something els will.

Also, if the bolted SC moves around during daily driving or racing, it will probably wear through the paint and rust your underside.

I say weld.