PDA

View Full Version : Craigslist honesty

pOrk
09-23-2012, 10:41 AM
What happened to craigslist people? We all know its filled with morons and dbags, people who say " I'll be there in 10 minutes! " and never show, the clowns who lowball before asking questions or seeing the item, etc. But what happened to people being HONEST about what they are selling? And this isn't just craigslist but any online sales site. When I list something, I disclose everything I know about said item before the buyer drives a few hours or forks over the cash to have something shipped across the world only to be alarmed / dissappointed with the item when it is NOT described correctly.

I just went to Chicago for a mint condition white 2003 Mini Cooper S after talking with the seller for a few days, asking MANY questions about small detail items as I am looking for a very specific vehicle that is in GREAT to MINT condition, secured funds and arrived there yeterday afternoon to pick up the car. The first thing my brother notices is one of the JCW kit panels is pulling away from the body from a few broken clips, no big deal. Wait, why is it red behind there? What is the line between the body and all the moldings? Why are other panels not aligned properly? Oh yea, because the entire car was repainted an entirely different color and done poorly on top of it. Not only that but the wheels who might need some MINOR paint touch up are curbed to holy hell. I never looked at the inside of the car as the seller was running late and had just pulled up to the car as we were pulling away.

Do sellers expect people to just buy their junk after seeing it since they drove all the way there to buy it? What a waste of time, why ask all the important questions if the seller is going to waste your time anyway?

Gregor
09-23-2012, 11:04 AM
Happened me twice when I went to Chicago. Must be a IL thing?

BR3W CITY
09-23-2012, 11:41 AM
I've looked at cars in northern IL before (Rockford), and every time it was some BS. Stuff like forgetting to mention the "slightly" blown headgasket.

I've driven 4hrs to middle of nowhere WI for a truck, and it was exactly as described and in fact came with a few extras...and they gave me alower price cuz I drove all that way and showed up with cash.

Moral of story; IL people all sell shitty, abused cars that have been beaten to crap in Chi and on the freeways. Just think about all the assholes on the freeway going 85 and skipping over lanes with no signal, then giving you the finger for not wanting to get hit.....well when they sell those cars, no one in their own state will buy them. They always are priced just a LITTLE better than stuff more local, but when you get there its always junk.

Don't know about dealers but with private sellers thats my experience.

xxtremeteam
09-23-2012, 11:52 AM
I bought a pop up camper cheap needed some work which we where cool with but needs way more than the owner told us anyone want a pop up for cheap to make a trailer or Ice shanty from let me know

lordairgtar
09-23-2012, 01:02 PM
That's nothing. I went to Rockford to look at a Javelin. Dude assured me that even though it was a bit rough, it ran and drove great. Had extra AMX hood, he said he needed to sell because wife had cancer. Got there and saw the car had four flat tires. It wouldn't start and half the interior was gone. The final pearl was the very bloody panties stuffed in where the radio was supposed to be and the "Go Wildcats" painted along the side of the car. This had to have been the teams QBs car and they initiated some poor cheerleader in it. The guy had two very nice Nomads in the garage, I said for wasting my time with this just, you should sell me one of the Nomads for the $500 you were asking for the javie. He got pissed! OH, the AMX hood...nope, just a duplicate steel Javie hood.

Slow5oh
09-23-2012, 01:26 PM
I dealt with the same shit in Elgin IL for a dodge ram. I'm not even sure the pictures on the website were of the same truck. I called them a few times to talk about everything and was assured 100% that I would be satisfied with the truck and the description was as accurate as could be. Well that was definitely not the case. It had a magnet on the driver/pass door so there was a big sun spot square where it was all faded, they went over scratches with vynal stickers, not even straight cuts it literally looked like they just had someone peel off pieces of vynal and stuck them on the truck. It had a ridiculous exhaust tip that stuck out 6-7" past the rear bumper, they had some how forgot to mention that the radio had been missing, the power windows didn't work and a CE light was on, oh AND it didn't like going into gear.

After 3 wasted trips for vehicles, I doubt I'll ever take a look at anything in IL again.

Car Guy
09-23-2012, 02:29 PM
I know the pain all too well, and probably more than most. . . .

- Gas for the 19 hour round trip drive to KY in a big loud rough riding one ton Chevy truck - $350.

- The deposit I lost for the open car trailer = $150.

- Misc. expenses for the trip to bring the car home = $100.

- Knowing how fun murdering the seller would have been (had my father not been there with me) after realizing the car was NOTHING like described = PRICELESS!

This experience 14 years ago seriously opened my eyes to the 'world' and how unbelievable a human being could be. I was completely beside myself and literally blind with rage. This is something I will never ever forget as long as I am breathing.

That_Guy
09-23-2012, 04:17 PM
I bought a 16ft sea-ray off of Craigs list. When we put it in the water we found out the dude didn't winterize it properly and cracked the block on the back side. This was after I was assured it had been properly winterized. I would have never found the crack in the block with out throwing it in the water a day after I bought it just to a shake down. He took some shoe polish or something and covered it up. I loaded it right back on the trailer drove a hour back to the guys house with my father and two friends. The guy was home but didn't answer his phone or door. I let him know that I'll be waiting because I have the next 2 days off and the truck blocking the driveway wont be moved for anybody. He eventually came out and informed me he spent the money already. I told him i'll take gold, silver, or his ass to court. He came up with 1k cash to give back to me the following day. I then used it to repair the block with a super epoxy and fix the lower unit due to him running it dry. The boat has ran great sense. I learn a valid lesson. boat= bust out another thousand.

GTSLOW
09-23-2012, 04:20 PM
Drive back later tonight and leave a brick in the window. What a prick. 90% chance he was trying to find a sucker. Sucks you had to waste the time going down there for nothing plus the hassle of getting the $$ straight.

jbiscuit
09-23-2012, 04:46 PM
Commonplace for Illinois Craigslist ads honestly. Chicago is the New Yawk of the midwest and are 95% of the time shady as hell sellers. Why didn't you wait for the seller of the car to arrive so you could call him out on his shady-ness?

pOrk
09-23-2012, 05:16 PM
Honestly I don't like sharing unkind words with women, I called her and said I felt mislead and was no longer interested and tried not to let not ruin my night. My brother and wife came along and we ended up at Epic Burger for dinner and had a great time wondering around downtown anyhow.

Waver
09-24-2012, 10:26 AM
Once again, this is the difference between ILL and Wisconsin (at least at dealerships)

Wisconsin: Buyer Protection State

Illinois-Sure the price might be great, but why is that? No protection=you are fucked

DynoTom
09-24-2012, 11:12 AM
I hate the "lowballers " who email you shit like " dude, I will give you a grand cash tonight " when you are asking 5 grand for something....

Waver
09-24-2012, 11:29 AM
I hate the "lowballers " who email you shit like " dude, I will give you a grand cash tonight " when you are asking 5 grand for something....

That is when you tell them "That is a very healthy down payment Mr. Lowballer. Do you need any information to help you get the loan for the rest?"

DynoTom
09-24-2012, 11:34 AM
That is when you tell them "That is a very healthy down payment Mr. Lowballer. Do you need any information to help you get the loan for the rest?"

Good one ! LOL !!

I have had some pretty good sales of stuff on CL but, you have to just wade through the garbage to find the good people....

-stew-
09-24-2012, 11:38 AM
Retard buyer: "u trd 4 nethng I gt?"

Me: do you have any books on proper English grammar?

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

Nix
09-24-2012, 01:19 PM
Same thing happened to me and one of my brothers. We went to Elgin to look at a vert notch. The ugh assured us that it was in 8-10 condition from inside and out. We got there and I immediately noticed that the hood didn't line up with the front fenders. Hmmm, next I walk around the back of the vehicle and I took nice to the terribly stressed rear bumper and then both of the tail light bulbs we dangling. Typical on these cars because the under lip of the trunk rotted out and the lights fall out.

We were learn right away for the some fact that the guy had the top down while it was sitting in the garage. We gave him the benefit of the doubt. We asked him to put it up.skills we could see how perfect it was from how he described it. Well it went about half way up and it froze. This guy was holding the button for it to co.e up while yanking the shit out of it. It finally broke loose and there were several patches and rips in it oh and the rear window was laterally about to fall in to the back of the car. He said he recently gave it a car wash and Im guessing that it why there was water sloshing around in there rear of the car where all the water entered from the hanging rear window.

He opened the hood and the fenders didn't match the exterior paint color. I opened both dork and they didn't match other. Also when I closed the driver door a few chunk of window glass came out the bottom. I looked underneath and there was entry of rot and the door skin was separating.

He then asked us if we wanted to talent for a spin and it barley started and when it did it loomed like someone lite one of those mammoth some bombs. Nice head gasket leak buddy.

We started to walk away and he told us thanks for wasting his time. Really?? We wasted your time? We drove from fucking Waukesha Wisconsin, fucking Asshole.

The cherry on top was that he wanted $7,00) for this fucking Gem.

Never again will I go to look atnkr buy a car from Illinois. I know several people who have been taken by cock suckers in that pisshole of a state.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

blackmage
09-24-2012, 01:56 PM
Driving 4 hours, within wisconsin borders to look at a car this weekend, hopefully I get the WI experience most of you had haha. I picked up a stang from MN and that one went as perfect as it could go, described to a T what was wrong and what was good. Thank god I live 6 hours from IL haha

GTSLOW
09-24-2012, 04:27 PM
Same thing happened to me and one of my brothers. We went to Elgin to look at a vert notch. The ugh assured us that it was in 8-10 condition from inside and out. We got there and I immediately noticed that the hood didn't line up with the front fenders. Hmmm, next I walk around the back of the vehicle and I took nice to the terribly stressed rear bumper and then both of the tail light bulbs we dangling. Typical on these cars because the under lip of the trunk rotted out and the lights fall out.

We were learn right away for the some fact that the guy had the top down while it was sitting in the garage. We gave him the benefit of the doubt. We asked him to put it up.skills we could see how perfect it was from how he described it. Well it went about half way up and it froze. This guy was holding the button for it to co.e up while yanking the shit out of it. It finally broke loose and there were several patches and rips in it oh and the rear window was laterally about to fall in to the back of the car. He said he recently gave it a car wash and Im guessing that it why there was water sloshing around in there rear of the car where all the water entered from the hanging rear window.

He opened the hood and the fenders didn't match the exterior paint color. I opened both dork and they didn't match other. Also when I closed the driver door a few chunk of window glass came out the bottom. I looked underneath and there was entry of rot and the door skin was separating.

He then asked us if we wanted to talent for a spin and it barley started and when it did it loomed like someone lite one of those mammoth some bombs. Nice head gasket leak buddy.

We started to walk away and he told us thanks for wasting his time. Really?? We wasted your time? We drove from fucking Waukesha Wisconsin, fucking Asshole.

Never again will I go to look atnkr buy a car from Illinois. I know several people who have been taken by cock suckers in that pisshole of a state.

:confused

Irish
09-24-2012, 05:16 PM
Not all people from Illinois are like that. There are plenty of horror stories to be found in Wisconsin as I am sure there are in the other 46 (continental) states.

I bought parts from people in Illinois and Wisconsin. Have to say I have had both good and bad experiences in both states.

Slow5oh
09-24-2012, 05:26 PM

clearly iPhones are smarter. :durr

wikked
09-24-2012, 06:14 PM
Not as bad as some of your guys's stories...but:

~8yrs ago, finally found a white turbo Spyder with a decent price in IL.
Call the guy up/email/etc. work out details, tell him I want it 100% for sure, getting a loan next day.
Get cashiers check from the bank, all ready to roll out, brother takes the day off work to drive me out there... I quick give him a call before we head out to make sure he'll be home:
"oh sorry I sold it last night"

REALLY?
This was literally 2 days time from seeing the ad, to getting the loan... fucking fibs.

PureSound15
09-24-2012, 08:30 PM
Joe and I drove way into the UP for a 67 Chevelle I wanted.

Turned out to have sheet metal glued onto sheet metal in the corners.

Also, the guy was upset that I didn't want to buy it because...

He had to make the final payment for his mail-order wife! True story.

That_Guy
09-24-2012, 08:40 PM
Joe and I drove way into the UP for a 67 Chevelle I wanted.

Turned out to have sheet metal glued onto sheet metal in the corners.

Also, the guy was upset that I didn't want to buy it because...

He had to make the final payment for his mail-order wife! True story.

I honestly believe you. I have yet to come back from the U.P. without weird shit happening. Last winter I had a waitress scold me for not eating my entire breakfast. She literally went out of her way to tell me I'm wasting food. She then followed it up with telling me because I was fat she expected more of me. (facepalm)

-stew-
09-24-2012, 08:42 PM
http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/cto/3274921455.html

"brand new interion:" no sun visors, busted vent, k-mart steering wheel
"full exhaust"; dumps before the axle.
lists flex fan like it's a good thing.

That_Guy
09-24-2012, 08:57 PM
Somebody should email him an offer of 2k and tell him you need a beater winter car.

Slow5oh
09-24-2012, 09:44 PM
Somebody should email him an offer of 2k and tell him you need a beater winter car.

Whats sad is he will probably get it yet I maxed out at 6800 for mine

Nix
09-25-2012, 01:06 AM
Originally Posted by Nix (http://www.brewcitymuscle.com/forum/showthread.php?p=743078)

Me too. This is a new phone and I could have sworn that I shut off the dang auto correct. But it keeps coming back on. I've been looking for a way to totally disable it but apparently I'm missing something.

If you did waste your time reading my past several posts don't even waste your time. I'm honenstly tempted to just delete them. Even I have had a hard time trying to decipher what in the Sam Hell I was typing. lol

blackmage
09-25-2012, 07:52 AM
this is the stang i was gonna check out http://eauclaire.craigslist.org/cto/3276121258.html guy finally got me the VIN and it showed up dirtier than a used tampon on carfax, showed up salvage/rebuilt and had multiple wrecks. offered him $1600 cash, needless to say he told me to get bent and the title wasn't salvage/rebuilt. the shit people try to hide, i tell ya!