PDA

View Full Version : Metal 'sand' blasting

Car Guy
09-13-2012, 02:53 PM
I need a few parts blasted clean. Two sets of aluminum wheels, a set of springs, and a complete intake manifold off a SHO Taurus. I know of U-spray for 'do it yourself' but that is all. Any other decent places in the area self or full serve? I never had a set of wheels blasted and have no idea what the cost would be. Thanks in advance!

UnderPSI
09-13-2012, 09:06 PM
Most powder coaters offer sand blasting also. Might be a place to start?

BR3W CITY
09-13-2012, 11:07 PM
I've used Uspray before, the material in the diy blaster is a little rough on certain thin stuff, it can leave a texture which may or may not be something you like. B&K did the blasting on my wheels, as part of the PC process

spooln30
09-14-2012, 01:23 AM
I use U Spray all of the time and you just need to use the right blast cabinet. The big red one is the most abrasive and shouldn't be used for aluminum. The other two are plastic media and aluminum oxide. For aluminum wheels that's aren't in too rough shape use the plastic media. Aluminum oxide is good for removing powder coating or really thick paint. It also is good for metals to get good adhesion of paints and powder coatings. If you really need to get a smoother surface use the aluminum oxide first then the plastic media, you'll end up with a smoother surface.

Car Guy
09-14-2012, 12:59 PM
Most powder coaters offer sand blasting also. Might be a place to start?

I never thought of going through a powercoater for blasting, good idea! I will make a few calls.

I use U Spray all of the time and you just need to use the right blast cabinet. The big red one is the most abrasive and shouldn't be used for aluminum. The other two are plastic media and aluminum oxide. For aluminum wheels that's aren't in too rough shape use the plastic media. Aluminum oxide is good for removing powder coating or really thick paint. It also is good for metals to get good adhesion of paints and powder coatings. If you really need to get a smoother surface use the aluminum oxide first then the plastic media, you'll end up with a smoother surface.

Thanks for the info! Both sets of wheels will be painted. Set 'A' has surface corrosion everywhere but not severe. However, set 'B' was chrome plated and the chrome is coming off in sheets. That set is nasty! I will probably hit the remaining chrome with a paint scraper before blasting. Set 'A' will probably get the rattle can treatment but I would like set 'B' professionally painted.