PDA

View Full Version : Regular cab Trucks

BoosTT
09-06-2012, 08:14 AM
I'm looking at getting a new (used) truck. I found a great deal on a sweet regular cab 2009 Ram 1500. It has bucket seats, not a bench and seats two adults. I don't have any kids yet and predict they are maybe 4 years away. In the entire time I have had my current truck the most people I hauled was 1 passenger. So, I think I can get away with a regular cab for a few more years and would prefer a regular cab (shorter length, good bed size, better payload and mpg).... BUT what about resale value? I would likely need to sell it in 5-6 years with 90k miles. Is there still ANY market for a reg cab truck thats not a stripped V6 work truck?

The one I'm looking at is $19k. The same thing in an extended or crew cab is $26-30k.... the $7k difference could even buy a high MPG people hauler.

Prince Valiant
09-06-2012, 08:23 AM
I've always been a fan of buying low-resale vehicles...not new, but used of course. Sure, that means when I trade it in, it won't be worth as much, but then I paid much less anyways.

It was like a Compass I got...low resale value for two reasons 1) It was a compass and 2) it was a 5 speed. But here's the deal...when I bought it two years ago, it was 3 years old, had 33,000 miles...and pretty much every option (4x4, bose sound system, sunroof, etc, etc, etc) otherwise...this was probably a 25G car when sold new, still lots of good life left in it, and I only paid ~10,800 out the door. Great buy.

And I'm sure that when I traded it in last weekend, despite being in great shape still, etc, etc, etc the dealer probably thought they were getting a steal when they gave me 9G in trade. Two years/unlimited miles for ~ 1800 bucks? To me that's a great deal.

As far as reg cabs, sure there is a market...it's smaller, true, but there is a reason they still make 'em and sell them to the general public. I sold my reg cab ram in under a week years back. If this is a vehicle that suits your needs and the price strikes you as good, get it.

animal
09-06-2012, 09:25 AM
I got no problem with a reg cab truck as long as it has at least a little room to recline and i dont have to haul two ppl around. If that suits your need more than 90% of the time then go for it.

-stew-
09-06-2012, 09:50 AM
Get a sedan and be done with it.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/09/06/4yzenata.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

lilws6
09-06-2012, 10:27 AM
I picked up my diesel for $18K 2wd ext cab it did have 80k on it tho. if you need 4x4 it will boost the price a bit

Rocket Power
09-06-2012, 11:11 AM
If that's what you prefer then go for it. Myself I don't ever plan on going back to anything smaller than the Crewcab I have now, even if you're not hauling people it's nice to have more room inside for stuff you don't want to haul in the bed.

UnderPSI
09-06-2012, 11:59 AM
I would never go back to a regular cab truck. Just to be able to slide the seat back and recline is enough to justify cost for me. I'm 6'2" and i'm sure if you are shorter it would be fine, but I love the extra room in and ex cab. I dread riding in frineds trucks that are regular cab.

WickedSix
09-06-2012, 12:10 PM
It's all about what you want really.... I'm 6'4" and 370ish and drive 3k miles a month in a std cab colorado and before that I had 2 std cab s10's and one extended cab s10... ext cab for me was just more space for junk to accumulate

BoosTT
09-06-2012, 02:17 PM
ext cab for me was just more space for junk to accumulate

Exactly what is going on in my extended cab ranger.

88Nightmare
09-06-2012, 10:45 PM
I have a crew cab GMC Canyon, and love it. Not a fan of the regular cab. I like being able to put stuff in the back seat... groceries...etc. Going on a weekend trip up north with one person is no big deal, we put our bags of clothing in the backseat instead of in the bed. Just comes down to personal preference

Waver
09-07-2012, 09:34 PM
Like what others have said, it is all about preference. I have had 3 regular cab trucks and I liked them because I could get a longer bed with them. Even on longer trips they wernt bad. I have an extended cab now, and it is nice for when I dont want to haul stuff in the bed.

michelle
09-08-2012, 06:36 AM
I love having 4 full-size doors on my F-150. I don't haul people around, but it's convenient for the pups, groceries, and other items I rather not have in the bed. The truck bed gets used for a lot of greasy, dirty stuff as it is, so I wouldn't want to put shopping bags and groceries in there to begin with.

Wagonbacker9
09-08-2012, 06:54 AM
I've had 2 ext cab trucks. Several years ago the back was full of sub boxes, now my full size is used for the dogs, things I want to haul and keep dry, or not get beat up sliding around in back... sometimes the crossbox just isn't enough space. That said, if you don't want an ext cab, don't buy one, just make sure like the Compass you get a deal on it so you don't end up taking a bath.

Gregor
09-09-2012, 09:37 PM
yeah I am in the same boat, I would like a Crew Cab F-250 Diesel but the price for a 2011 is still way out of control.

And I can get a Super Cab Diesel for the price of a 6.2 liter Crew Cab. But lose the Diesel which defeats the purpose of buying a newer truck.

I have had a few different trucks with my old company, reg cabs with long beds, Extended Cabs with short beds, Extended Cabs with long beds, and Crew cabs with short beds. If its just you a reg cabs works good, extended if your hauling someone else or gear, (I hauled about 30K worth of fiber optic long haul testing equipment) and Crew cab if you are hauling around more than 2 people ant any given time. Dodges Quad cab is nothing than a extended cab with extra doors. Forget about a car seat in anything less than a Crew Cab.

BR3W CITY
09-09-2012, 10:44 PM
Aside from classic trucks (in which crew or extended cabs either didn't exist, were made only as super custom options or coachworks) you've just gotta have the room that the extra space of an ext, crew, quad etc can afford you.

I've had my share of single cab company plow trucks etc, and they just aren't as useful. Even if you don't haul people, being able to toss backpacks, electric tools, stuff you want INSIDE the cab is a godsend. Plus, some people just need room to put some subs :)
I'd only consider a single cab truck if I needed some sort of special bed, in which the crew or larger would not work on the frame...i.e. building a service back welding truck with a custom bed or something.
....come to think of it, I've seen a couple of those on older 4 door f350's....so ya not many reasons to get a single.