PDA

View Full Version : Lawn mowers

jamest
09-04-2012, 08:46 PM
Looking at buying a new push behind lawn mower. I want a rear self propelled mower. Kinda narrowed it down between a snapper and a Honda. Honda is about $100 more. Any thoughts or suggestions with either brand? The snapper has a Briggs engine.

jbiscuit
09-04-2012, 09:25 PM
The Hondas are crazy nice. My next walk behind will be a Honda. Buy from a small engine shop! The newer models with the twin blades are very high quality.

Memphis
09-04-2012, 09:46 PM
honda hands down

WI_Dave
09-05-2012, 07:04 AM
The Hondas are crazy nice. My next walk behind will be a Honda. Buy from a small engine shop! The newer models with the twin blades are very high quality.

The twin blade ones are nice to use. I have heard that you can bend the crank pretty easily if you hit something or even if grass is too long and wet it jams up between the blades, but that was commercially used ones here at work. I had no problems with the one I used for a year.

jbiscuit
09-05-2012, 07:31 AM
With any mower, if you hit a rock or a stump you risk damaging the crank obviously. If you use the mower for what its intended for IE cutting grass, it will work extremely well. IMO, the Honda's have the best engine as well as the best cutting deck of any walk behind mower out there. I have not heard of anyone bending the crank on one cutting wet grass.

If anyone wants a properly set up Honda, go to Central Saw on Lathrop Ave in Racine. They can show you all the features of the mower, set it up properly and sell it to you for a great price. I have sent several people there to buy lawn tractors and equipment now and they have all been happy with the service. They also sell the commercial line of Honda equipment

BAD LS1
09-05-2012, 08:06 AM
What model of Snapper, do you know off hand? SPX? or NXT?

jamest
09-05-2012, 08:38 AM
What model of Snapper, do you know off hand? SPX? or NXT?

I don't know the model number specifically but it was from the SPX line. Ideally, I want to buy into a mower that will last 8-10 years and maybe only have it in the shop a few times during that lifetime. My yard isn't huge and I don't have any mower hazards ie stumps, gravel etc.

jbiscuit
09-05-2012, 09:10 AM
You just selected your next mower then....Honda all the way!

-stew-
09-05-2012, 09:14 AM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/09/05/3arevajy.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

BAD LS1
09-05-2012, 03:18 PM
^^^ I know the guy who supplied and personally delivered those snapper RER's for that movie lol!

Im somewhat biased toward the Snapper because its part of the Briggs & Stratton Family and im intiment with them from a training stand point. I am now 6 years withdrawn from the dealer world, so while i dont know a thing about the latest honda walk behinds. The older mid 80's bright silver jobs thru the harmony line were contankerous, mechanical assholes.

While i think the SPX Snapper is an OK machine, its sorta heavy and the deck is a hybrid of the Murray product line (Briggs owned too) and having done a training video on the SPX and NXT Im not entirely sold on their value.

If you are spending the money on a Honda, look at the Snapper Commercial series, these are the old school, heavy gauge deck with rolled edges, friction disc drive system with planetary gear box axle - a bullet proof machine with one of the best small vertical shaft engines on the market. The engine is built in Poplar Bluff MO, and the mower is built in McDonough GA

Much like anything else in this country, the imports have built them selves a name and people want to stick with them in hopes of the "Legendary quality" will still be present.

I can tell you the Snapper will have a fair bit larger dealer support if warranty work is required and not mention the engine you can get warranty repair just about anywhere, you cant swing a dead cat w/o finding a briggs dealer. Cant say that for honda outdoor stuff, and coming from a honda dealer, their warranty sucks the hairiest ballz you can imagine for the dealer. To me service counts, and if it needs to be done i want it to be easy and painless.

77thor
09-05-2012, 05:51 PM
Another vote for Honda's... they have much better engines.