PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone ever??

03CVLX
08-29-2012, 11:45 PM
Have any of you ever been asked to leave a car lot by their rent a cop when simply looking at cars. I stopped at a local Milwaukee area dealer before work this evening. It was 20 mins after 10. Entered thru a wide open driveway and wasn't doing anything odd. Was told that no one was allowed on the lot between 10 PM and 7 AM and that I needed to leave. No visible signs were posted. I'll hold off on naming the lot but wanted to know other peoples thoughts.

lordairgtar
08-29-2012, 11:50 PM
There has been a lot of vandalism and theft of alloy wheels of late. This is why you were told to leave. You will comply. We are Borg.

03CVLX
08-30-2012, 12:07 AM
There has been a lot of vandalism and theft of alloy wheels of late. This is why you were told to leave. You will comply. We are Borg.

I figured it was something like that. But drive past me, see what I am doing. Watch me for a few mins if you must. If I was there at 330 AM driving a cargo van I could maybe understand a little more. I can't even get all 4 of my 17" Mustang wheels in the trunk at once when I would change them in spring, let alone tools + expensive fancy wheels from a car lot. I'll gladly take my money elsewhere.

BR3W CITY
08-30-2012, 12:47 AM
he has nothing better to do...you were there.

BoosTT
08-30-2012, 08:29 AM
Sounds legit to me. 10:20 PM is late to be looking at cars.

Waver
08-30-2012, 09:49 AM
Honestly, it was what was said above. There has been a rash of theft as of late, and most people dont look at cars past 10.....I wouldnt take it personal. When I worked for Heiser, I stopped by on a Friday evening on my way home from work to check on a car that a customer had called me about. I was asked to leave by the rent-a-cop. Once I told him that I worked for the organization and showed him my business card, he let me be.

Flicktitty
08-30-2012, 11:10 AM
I find it kind of comical that places do that. There is clearly a difference in looking at cars and vandalizing and or stealing parts off them.

I've gone through a couple area car dealerships after 10PM do to the fact I'm awake and somewhat bored and as a person in the car hobby its nice to look at stuff without being bothered by pesky sales people all the time. And wouldn't it be cheaper in the long run to have a good camera setup that doesn't have any or many blind spots so they can get the car/truck/vans license plate and or description of the person or car, then paying someone $10 an hour for 9 hours a night 7 days a week? Which comes to $630 a week Which is over $30,000 for 1 year. How many cameras and wheel and tire packages does that really pay for?

Crawlin
08-30-2012, 11:38 AM
They have both. The rent a cops patrol multiple lots(or atleast they should). Then on top of what you said for cost, they'd save that in insurance on the whole inventory/building/etc... per year because they have an active person there that is a greater deterrent to people attempting theft. As much as people would like to think otherwise, owner's of car dealerships are not stupid and have rationalized and planned out expenses to a T. I remember when our company built Heiser Toyota, and the owner was debating between two different style lifts. One was cheaper, but would require the tech to walk around it more than a different style, so that cost time. And the cost of time over a period of "X" and having to pay the tech more, and the slower turnover on getting a different vehicle in that spot was greater than the difference of the other lift.

All cameras are gonna do is allow you to watch what happened, not prevent it.

While there is a difference in how people act, to a 3rd shift fresh out of school rent a cop that is usually bored off his ass, the chance to actually YELL at someone or throw them out is a great opportunity like said above. Kicking out is crap though, just sit there and watch then and allow the person to look around.

pOrk
08-30-2012, 01:23 PM
I ONLY shop for cars at dealers after hours, if I'm asked to leave I do and take my buisness with me. A rental cop should be able to tell the difference of browsing / stealing, and they are being paid to sit there so why not watch said persons and if they start to create trouble THEN pretend to be batman and start fighting crime.

I wanted a Jeep BAD that Heiser had, stopped 3 times to look at it and was told to leave. I didn't buy the jeep, and I'll never go back there again. I had a REAL hard time going there to begin with since they treated me like ish when I worked there years ago.

03CVLX
08-30-2012, 01:41 PM
Im starting to see quite a pattern here. I got kicked out of Heiser Chevy in West Allis. Its been mentioned multiple times in this thread already so I might as well say it too.

xxtremeteam
08-30-2012, 02:04 PM
[QUOTE=03CVLX;741870]Im starting to see quite a pattern here.

I see a pattern also most people here most work a day shift job

The Shaolin
08-30-2012, 02:45 PM
I don't see anything wrong with it. Just because you aren't taking wheels off of cars doesn't mean you're not up to no good. Do you think the wheel thieves just showed up and took all the wheels? Nope, they were scouting the place out for weeks beforehand, probably acting innocent, and "just looking".

How hard is it to get to a dealership before dark? That's clearly when they want you there, so that they can keep an eye on you. They should put signs up though.

GTSLOW
08-30-2012, 10:11 PM
Same here if I'm interested in a car I'd absolutely go there after hours. Any time you go to a dealer and say you're just looking around if they do leave they watch like hawks from the windows inside.

spooln30
08-30-2012, 11:22 PM
Sounds legit to me. 10:20 PM is late to be looking at cars.

Not really when some dealerships service and sales departments are open till 9pm. Now anything after midnight that's a different story.

That_Guy
08-31-2012, 12:01 AM

That and morons keep leaving keys in 30k dollar cars and they end up being used to joy ride in around Milwaukee.

03CVLX
08-31-2012, 11:28 AM
That and morons keep leaving keys in 30k dollar cars and they end up being used to joy ride in around Milwaukee.

Funny you mention that, Was wandering the lot up at Boucher like 3 years ago and found the keys hanging in the door of a $30K used Lincoln. Boucher is pretty good about gating and blocking their lot but this one was sitting nose out to the alley by gamemaster. I grabbed the keys and threw them in the night drop box. Anybody less honest and that damn thing would have been GONE...

wrath
08-31-2012, 12:35 PM
If you don't want people looking at the cars when the slimeballs aren't there then don't light the lot up like a Christmas tree and leave the gates open. If you want to keep people out, put a nice fence around it (like Carmax) and put just enough sodium lights in the lot to keep the honest people out. Lighting it up with $1,000/month mercury and halogen lights is just nuts if you want to keep people out.

Waver
08-31-2012, 02:07 PM
If you don't want people looking at the cars when the slimeballs aren't there then don't light the lot up like a Christmas tree and leave the gates open. If you want to keep people out, put a nice fence around it (like Carmax) and put just enough sodium lights in the lot to keep the honest people out. Lighting it up with $1,000/month mercury and halogen lights is just nuts if you want to keep people out.

The lights are there for security reasons. It is easier for someone to steal something in complete darkness than with lights all over the place allowing a passer by (like a cop) to see someone stealing shit. The areas that dont have lights (like the service areas) are the ones more prone to theft.

Oh and for the most part, those "slimeballs" are no different from you, they just sell cars to support their families. If they dont approach, greet, and try to help you out, they have no chance of selling a car and supporting them self..There are a lot of honest ones out there. It is sad to see that your view of sales people is still stuck in the 70's and 80's. Dont get me wrong, there are some tools out there, but not all of are like that.