PDA

View Full Version : Milwaukee Track Days Thursday Night Thunder 8/30

stealthy1ss
08-28-2012, 05:05 PM
Sorry for the short notice but this Thursday there is a SCCA PDX event at the Milwaukee Mile sponsered by West Bend Dyno. It is tons of fun and I encourage anyone that is curious about road racing to come out and have a blast. Its a lot of fun and track time for $100 (SCCA members) or $125 for non members. Here is a link to more details.

http://www.milwaukeetrackdays.com/index.html

The Shaolin
08-28-2012, 09:48 PM
I think I just decided I'm going to go flog my daily driver. This sounds awesome!

WhatsADSM
08-28-2012, 09:56 PM
For those that are considering trying it out this is a great event.. very inexpensive and very convenient being so local.

Unfortunately its hard for me to get a free night these days so I won't be able to make it to this one.

I heard that they have one last one scheduled for I think the 13th of September to make up for a missed one in the middle of summer. Do you know if that's true?

The Shaolin
08-29-2012, 08:11 AM
So, the thing about my daily driver is that it has stock brakes. Everything is in good working order, but I'm concerned about pad temp. Is that going to be unsafe?

WhatsADSM
08-29-2012, 08:39 AM
Most stock brakes will overheat and eventually fade away and you will have to take it easy to make sure you have enough braking zone and also time to let them cool.

Also depends on what car this is as some cars have much better brakes than others out of the box. What car are we talking about here?

The Shaolin
08-29-2012, 10:12 AM
Yeah, I had a problem when I started driving hard on Tail of the Dragon a few years ago....but then again, the braking zones are probably much closer together than at Milwaukee Mile.

It's a Saturn sport coupe. Stock minus drop springs and sticky tires. It's my daily, not a racecar. I'm thinking I should probably check/flush fluid and get better pads on there before attempting something like this....to prevent

braking doom

BUM BUM BAHHHHHHH!

Haha

WhatsADSM
08-29-2012, 10:46 AM
Yeah, I had a problem when I started driving hard on Tail of the Dragon a few years ago....but then again, the braking zones are probably much closer together than at Milwaukee Mile.

It's a Saturn sport coupe. Stock minus drop springs and sticky tires. It's my daily, not a racecar. I'm thinking I should probably check/flush fluid and get better pads on there before attempting something like this....to prevent

BUM BUM BAHHHHHHH!

Haha

Braking doom.. lol. Fucking auto correct

Yea I didn't think the Mile was actually *that* hard on brakes (compared to other tracks I have been on)... but its all relative. I've never been on the Tail of the Dragon so not sure how it compares.

However with stock saturn sc2 (or whatever the model is called) brakes you likely will have issues after a few laps. If you want to be sure you don't have brake issues for a street car I would recommend cheap, but effective ATE blue:
http://www.amazon.com/ATE-Super-Brake-Fluid-Liter/dp/B000JL0YMO/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1346254082&sr=8-4&keywords=ate+blue

and a decent street/trackday pad. Something like a Hawk HP+ or EBC Yellowstuff. If you don't have a lot of cash around you should be able to get away with just the front pads since most of the braking power is done on the front (especially true of a front driver with streetable springs).

So if you want to be sure you don't have brake issues just pickup those items for cheap (I'll bet everything would be around $125 for new fluid and front pads), and then it looks like they are going to have one last event on Sep. 13th as well... at least according to motorsportreg.com

P.S. There was a Saturn out at the last event I was at. It was with me in the intermediate group and I was actually really impressed with how quick it was. Looked like it was pretty stock except maybe some minor suspension and I think R-comps.

Edit: I wasn't sure exactly which Saturn you had. But I think these are the pads you need. You should be able to check vehicle compatibility on Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/EBC-Brakes-DP4839R-Yellowstuff-Street/dp/B001KQA98G/ref=au_pf_pfg_s?ie=UTF8&Make=Saturn|53&Model=SC1|623&Year=1999|1999&carId=002&n=15684181&newCar=1&s=automotive&vehicleType=automotive

The Shaolin
08-29-2012, 12:45 PM
You're nuts on across the board. Popular option on the Saturns is EBC's on the fronts. I run HP+ on the RX-7. It's an SC2 (although the brakes didn't change across wagon, sedan, or coupe, from 91-02...hah).

Let's both hope the September 13th event does indeed exist! :)

WhatsADSM
09-06-2012, 02:28 PM
You're nuts on across the board. Popular option on the Saturns is EBC's on the fronts. I run HP+ on the RX-7. It's an SC2 (although the brakes didn't change across wagon, sedan, or coupe, from 91-02...hah).

Let's both hope the September 13th event does indeed exist! :)

Just bumping this up.

Turns out they are in fact having a September 13th event. Last of the year (at least at the Mile)... I'm strongly considering going to it.

Anyone else?

The Shaolin
09-07-2012, 08:11 AM
Still hoping to be there. Waiting for brake parts to show up.

stealthy1ss
09-07-2012, 04:34 PM
I will be there no matter what but if it is wet out I wont drive with this cast on. If its dry then game on.