PDA

View Full Version : Any Journeyman Machinists on BCM?

badass88gt
08-23-2012, 06:54 AM
2 years ago I applied for an Electrician job here at work, I took the Wisconsin State Apprenticeship Test and nailed it but lost the job due to low seniority (Union shop). A year later a Machinist job comes up, didn't have to take the test again because I already passed but again lost on seniority. Last night I get to work with a letter telling me I have a meeting at 6:45am after work Wednesday morning and I have to let them know which job I want, I can choose either the Machinist job or a Millright position, I'm the top guy on the list. There were 7 guys testing above me in seniority and none of them passed. Not only do I get straight day shift in the machine shop but they are going to put me through 4 years of schooling at Fox Valley Technical College in Appleton. This will change life for my family, no more swing shifts, no more unannounced overtime, no more last minute schedule changes. This is what I have been waiting for. I will be choosing the Machinist Apprentice position. I start Monday morning in the machine shop, school starts the 31st. I'm excited, I am a warehouse worker now so this will be a big change, plus a big raise right off the bat!

Anyone here a Journeyman Machinist by trade, anyone have any advice, tips, etc?

Thanks-Dan

-stew-
08-23-2012, 07:42 AM
Congrats. We kind of have a machinist here at work now and I love watching him work. Its an amazing thing to watch. Only advice I can give is what I was told when I asked if I could use the lathe: "put a tie on kid." *wink*

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

Prince Valiant
08-23-2012, 10:03 AM
congrats!

noeggs4u
08-23-2012, 11:49 AM
Congrats.

Want_Notch
08-23-2012, 12:46 PM
Congrats!

CATNHAT
08-23-2012, 09:23 PM
Congrats. We kind of have a machinist here at work now and I love watching him work. Its an amazing thing to watch. Only advice I can give is what I was told when I asked if I could use the lathe: "put a tie on kid." *wink*

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

I dont think they were "winking"-they were "hoping" that you put a tie on...

And congrats BA88GT!

73MACH
08-23-2012, 09:42 PM
THats huge! Congrats...