PDA

View Full Version : Milwaukee Mile Track Day (SCCA PDX) - Review and Video

WhatsADSM
08-20-2012, 10:42 AM
Went to my first track day ever at the Milwaukee Mile. Sounds like they have been trying to get this started recently and overall I would say its a nice little event. Here is a quick review of mine along with some video I took from in-car.

Things I most enjoyed:
The price is very reasonable and I LOVE the convenience. It is great to have an event that is so close. I hardly had to take off any work, didn't need to spend nearly as much time preparing for it, and knew that even if something broke I was local enough where it wouldn't be *that* big of a deal. Also it was a GREAT group of people running and in general they were pretty laid back. I always enjoy the more laid back crowd that is there just to have fun. A large spectrum of cars showed up as well which I liked. In my group there were some Elises, some Mustangs, 2nd/3rd gen Camaro, 350z, Corvette, Mini, Porsche Carrera S, newer GTI, etc. Also considering the total time available for the event (It ran from about 3pm to 8pm) you get 3 full 20 minute sessions. I was actually pretty impressed with a full hour of track time condensed into such a small event!

There were a few things I didn't like:
This was my first time ever going to a track day on an oval track converted for an HPDE. While it definitely works there were a few downfalls. First off the infield portion of the track was a little dusty, especially to start... which makes sense since the infield is typically not used the way it was being used. Also because it was not designed as a true road coarse there wasn't very much runoff area in fact many times there basically wasn't any at all. Seeing walls that close is definitely a little intimidating, and kept me from really pushing it 10/10ths. Finally I must admit, while fun I can't rightfully say it was as challenging as a true purpose-built road coarse. Finally, because it was an SCCA run event those that were not SCCA instructors could not take passengers (unless the passenger was an SCCA instructor).

Now on to a little bit of the layout on the track:
Basically they use about 3/4 of the real outside "mile" track and then send people through the infield and back out.
So it starts on the front straight. You then slow down hard for a right hand turn into the infield. Then there is a little Ess, a small straight section in the infield before you come to a hard 180* turn around. Its actually a fun turn. Come in very slow, but then an increasing radius back out. Going back the other way in the infield there are a series of turns before you come back out to the main oval. When you come back out onto the oval the transition is ROUGH! I mean physically the pavement is smooth just that there is probably a 2" drop from the infield to the oval which definitely upsets the chassis balance when you take it. My friends (stealthy1ss, and Josh) both suggested taking it at a large angle almost like you would coming up a steep driveway... and I agree. It seemed to be least upsetting taking it that way, and also lead to a nice exit to the back straight on the oval. Final turn is the large banked turn on the oval that connects the back and front straights on the south end of the track.. and is actually pretty cool. More fun than you think it would be. When you take it right you are hustling pretty good through there (I found the most grip on the inside and when I was taking it fast I was right around 80 mph through most of the corner and by track out was well over 100). Reminded me a little bit of the carousel at RA.

Summary:
While there are a few downfalls overall the event is a lot of fun... and the inexpensive price ($100 for SCCA member, $125 for non-member) and local convenience factor MORE than make up for it. They separated it into 3 run groups (beginner, intermediate, and advanced). I would certainly recommend the event to anyone who is looking for a little laid back fun on a weekday. For beginners they offer instructors as well which is nice for anyone that wants to get their feet wet and try their car out on a real track. For all levels involved (especially beginner/intermediate) I would just note again that there isn't much runoff on the track so don't go out there thinking you are Michael Schumacher...

On to the video:
First off I apologize for my big head getting in the way. The lotus is a tiny little thing on the inside and I tend to lean into turns, so occasionally I get in the way. Also this was the last session of the day and it was starting to get darker out so there are parts of the track where my cheapy camcorder has trouble with the lighting. Oh yea and for those of you who do not know, this is a 06 Lotus Elise, with a supercharged Honda K24 swap.

This is my fastest lap which was had trying to keep up with Todd's race prepped C5... which wasn't going to happen. I just don't have the mechanical grip, or driver to do it. Although, if I must say, I wasn't *that* far off him considering my intermediate driving level, and stock aero with street tires.. Granted I did have a horsepower/weight advantage:
Dg0Z-UuKq9Q

And if you want to see the whole session here it is. It includes a lot more of the cars that were out there. This is the intermediate level (group 2), final session. I had Josh with me giving me some pointers as well:
zhBrwlDl2po

Prince Valiant
08-20-2012, 11:01 AM
nice...what was the highest speed you saw on the course? Love the sound of blown-four!

Flicktitty
08-20-2012, 11:22 AM
Pretty cool, i heard alot of people talking about the event might have to check it out. Looks like the Lotus moves pretty well.

WhatsADSM
08-20-2012, 11:28 AM
I saw right around 120 just before hitting the brakes in both the front and back straights...

The straights are actually one of the areas where I wasn't pushing it to the edge.. truthfully most of the straights are that way in that I am using about 60-70% throttle (which is probably equivalent to 90% power given the supercharger) and was short shifting a lot. I'm guessing if I REALLY poured the coals to it and had bigger balls and braked later I probably would have seen about 125.

WhatsADSM
08-20-2012, 02:32 PM
Pretty cool, i heard alot of people talking about the event might have to check it out. Looks like the Lotus moves pretty well.

You guys should come out... and better yet give it a shot with Liz's car. The price is certainly right and you will get an instructor with you. Only thing I would recommend for her car is just change out the brake fluid for something good and get a decent set of race ready brake pads.

stealthy1ss
08-20-2012, 04:31 PM
When I get this damn cast off my hand I will be out there passing people in the Fiat.

Flicktitty
08-20-2012, 04:45 PM
You guys should come out... and better yet give it a shot with Liz's car. The price is certainly right and you will get an instructor with you. Only thing I would recommend for her car is just change out the brake fluid for something good and get a decent set of race ready brake pads.

She's got Upgraded slotted rotors,Hawk HPS. Fresh Dot 4 fluid Q45 rotors and stainless lines. it's ready to go.

WhatsADSM
08-20-2012, 05:03 PM
When I get this damn cast off my hand I will be out there passing people in the Fiat.

Ahh you faker. You just had a fake cast on so you could avoid having to run against that Prius on track!

She's got Upgraded slotted rotors,Hawk HPS. Fresh Dot 4 fluid Q45 rotors and stainless lines. it's ready to go.

Just don't under estimate the need for brakes! I'm guessing for your first time out it should be fine as your speeds and braking wont be too aggressive, but as you get better and faster you would probably want to take a step up in terms of fluid and brake pad.

You would be amazed at the beating they take, especially with added power. If you run the way it sits just don't push the braking zones too hard, and be on alert for any sense of brake fade. Hawk HPS really aren't designed for much more than street use, and not sure of which fluid you ran.. but if you can ATE blue IMHO is a bare minimum of what I would run for a track fluid. IMHO bare minimum for pads would be something like an Hawk HP+ (which is a step above the HPS), but even then I would just step up to a race pad and swap them in/out at the track if need be.

For the record I run Carbotech XP10s, DBA4000 rotors, and Motul RBF600. It is all stock sized stuff but all very quality (albeit expensive) replacements that are designed for track work. As I get better and step up to R-comps I will probably be getting Titanium shims, as well as possibly stainless steel pistons and front brake ducts...

While I've never had brake issues with the Elise, I did with the 240... Nothing scarier then say coming into a 40mph turn, going 120+ and having your brakes not want to cooperate! Even then I didn't lose all my braking power, but it was enough to scare me. :stare

73MACH
08-20-2012, 09:31 PM
Man, that sure looks fun! The car sure burns through the rpms in a hurry, I love it!

stealthy1ss
08-21-2012, 04:48 PM
I think more people should at least come out and check it out.

Flicktitty
08-21-2012, 05:06 PM
Ahh you faker. You just had a fake cast on so you could avoid having to run against that Prius on track!

Just don't under estimate the need for brakes! I'm guessing for your first time out it should be fine as your speeds and braking wont be too aggressive, but as you get better and faster you would probably want to take a step up in terms of fluid and brake pad.

You would be amazed at the beating they take, especially with added power. If you run the way it sits just don't push the braking zones too hard, and be on alert for any sense of brake fade. Hawk HPS really aren't designed for much more than street use, and not sure of which fluid you ran.. but if you can ATE blue IMHO is a bare minimum of what I would run for a track fluid. IMHO bare minimum for pads would be something like an Hawk HP+ (which is a step above the HPS), but even then I would just step up to a race pad and swap them in/out at the track if need be.

For the record I run Carbotech XP10s, DBA4000 rotors, and Motul RBF600. It is all stock sized stuff but all very quality (albeit expensive) replacements that are designed for track work. As I get better and step up to R-comps I will probably be getting Titanium shims, as well as possibly stainless steel pistons and front brake ducts...

While I've never had brake issues with the Elise, I did with the 240... Nothing scarier then say coming into a 40mph turn, going 120+ and having your brakes not want to cooperate! Even then I didn't lose all my braking power, but it was enough to scare me. :stare

Oh for sure, she would take it easy for a while till she got the hang of it, She burned through all the pad rotor/fluid in her corolla up at Road America LOL.

WhatsADSM
08-21-2012, 05:19 PM
Man, that sure looks fun! The car sure burns through the rpms in a hurry, I love it!

I think more people should at least come out and check it out.

Agreed. People can always just show up and check it out. Lots of people running had their friends/family there just hanging out or for an extra set of hands.

As for running I would definitely say if you haven't yet done this with your car you have to put in on the "bucket list"... Don't die without having tried it once, its WAYY to much fun for the dollar. Also for anyone considering it, remember it isn't a race and you never have to go faster than you want, and no one can pass you without a point by. So basically you take things at your own pace and don't have to be worried about being intimidated by anyone out there. Also as mentioned before as a beginner you will have an instructor with you as well who will show you the ropes and help you slowly improve.

Oh for sure, she would take it easy for a while till she got the hang of it, She burned through all the pad rotor/fluid in her corolla up at Road America LOL.

Hey at least it was in the corolla! Let us know if you plan to come out to any events this year. I think Josh and Tyler are planning on going to the next one at the Mile. With the baby I wont be able to make it out to the one on Aug. 30th :(