PDA

View Full Version : 65 Belvedere destroyed in suicide attempt....

Prince Valiant
08-16-2012, 08:42 AM
The link below will have the photos of the car before an after...basically it seems someone intent on committing suicide and had access to a shop that worked on classic cars broke in, took the keys and the car for a ride...

While going along at it's top speed (120ish?, the cops estimated 150mph, which I doubt, but don't know how the car was geared) , the driver hopped a curb, proceeded to hit a tree, knock down a telephone pole, all before crashing through a cinder block wall.

Driver was clinically dead but successfully resuscitated at the scene (amazingly!). Missing all his teeth, suffered 25 other fractures, and having undergone over 40 surgeries, it's unlikely the guy will end up loving life soon.

To be honest, it was probably the fact that he hit two objects prior to hitting the wall that barely saved his life...taking out much of the energy of the crash before the finally impact.

*LINK* full article w/ before/after photos (http://www.allpar.com/news/index.php/2012/08/1965-belvedere-destroyed-in-suicide-attempt)

It's sad to see such a gorgeous car so totally demolished like this. I reserve little sympathy for the individual responsible for this.

Irish
08-16-2012, 09:01 AM
The link below will have the photos of the car before an after...basically it seems someone intent on committing suicide and had access to a shop that worked on classic cars broke in, took the keys and the car for a ride...

While going along at it's top speed (120ish?, the cops estimated 150mph, which I doubt, but don't know how the car was geared) , the driver hopped a curb, proceeded to hit a tree, knock down a telephone pole, all before crashing through a cinder block wall.

Driver was clinically dead but successfully resuscitated at the scene (amazingly!). Missing all his teeth, suffered 25 other fractures, and having undergone over 40 surgeries, it's unlikely the guy will end up loving life soon.

To be honest, it was probably the fact that he hit two objects prior to hitting the wall that barely saved his life...taking out much of the energy of the crash before the finally impact.

*LINK* full article w/ before/after photos (http://www.allpar.com/news/index.php/2012/08/1965-belvedere-destroyed-in-suicide-attempt)

It's sad to see such a gorgeous car so totally demolished like this. I reserve little sympathy for the individual responsible for this.

What a douche bag!!!! If I was the owner of the car, I would be absolutely furious to say the least.

I wonder who is liable for payment or replacement of that vehicle.

brotherbenn83
08-16-2012, 09:16 AM
Kind of amazing (looking at the wreckage) that they were able to pull anything resembling a person from the vehicle, let alone save his life. The old saying "they don't make em like they used to" could apply here. I can't even imagine what the hospital bill was for his 40 surgeries though, probably 50 times the value of that car.

WickedSix
08-16-2012, 09:43 AM
was an awesome car.... unbelievable he survived....he really gonna wish he didn't once the bills come....think years and years of PT ahead may finally get the dumbass sober? or will dependence on painkillers be the end result?...

on a side note if we get saddled with national healthcare can we just start letting people who want to die freakin die?

Gregor
08-16-2012, 10:01 AM
What a waste of a classic car.

-stew-
08-16-2012, 10:08 AM
Its a shame the car died and he didn't.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

Prince Valiant
08-16-2012, 10:23 AM
Its a shame the car died and he didn't.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2However bad his life sucked before...I'm sure it's MUCH worse now. I'd say it's poetic justice that he lived.

Crawlin
08-16-2012, 10:54 AM
What if the guy had a DNR requirement that was ignored?

Bet he ends up sueing for millions

flyin_blue_egg
08-16-2012, 11:29 AM
There's no way he could've had a DNR. I'm guessing he arrived at the hospital unconscious (sp) either due to the wreck or drugs given to him on the way to hospital. You would have to be able to tell someone/fill out paperwork to get that set up.

-stew-
08-16-2012, 01:25 PM
However bad his life sucked before...I'm sure it's MUCH worse now. I'd say it's poetic justice that he lived.

Barreling a car into a bridge abutment at a buck twenty is just a cry for help.

jbiscuit
08-16-2012, 02:02 PM
He wrecked a Mosher-built car! Thats crazy and I wouldn't doubt that car could do better than 120mph! Most of the cars that leave that shop are street terrors!

Prince Valiant
08-16-2012, 02:55 PM
He wrecked a Mosher-built car! Thats crazy and I wouldn't doubt that car could do better than 120mph! Most of the cars that leave that shop are street terrors!I would think it'd come down to how it's geared...undoubtedly it's producing enough power to carry it to 150 and beyond...but if it's rocking 4.56 gears, it'd only be going ~132mph even with the engine screaming at a lofty 7500rpm.

But assuming an engine spinning 7000rpm and 4.10's that's a little over 135...

WickedSix
08-16-2012, 03:26 PM
^^ assuming no expansion of a bias-ply tire at speed..... even radial tires exhibit a different dynamic rolling radius vs static rolling radius...

Crawlin
08-16-2012, 03:40 PM
There's no way he could've had a DNR. I'm guessing he arrived at the hospital unconscious (sp) either due to the wreck or drugs given to him on the way to hospital. You would have to be able to tell someone/fill out paperwork to get that set up.

I thought it was part of living will stuff. You assign that information way before in advance when you are competent to make that decision.

So now two years later lets say he makes this choice to try and kill himself. Succeeds and they revive him.

Not that it's an important issue on the topic being discussed or that I even know how it truly works, I just always find that stuff funny how the idiots try and do something like this and then try and come out ahead in the situation due to some loophole

WickedSix
08-16-2012, 03:46 PM
like when Oliver Sansweet sued MR Incredible?

BR3W CITY
08-16-2012, 05:42 PM
Weird hypothetical....could someone have a DNR order tatooed on them?

CATNHAT
08-16-2012, 06:01 PM
I would think it'd come down to how it's geared...undoubtedly it's producing enough power to carry it to 150 and beyond...but if it's rocking 4.56 gears, it'd only be going ~132mph even with the engine screaming at a lofty 7500rpm.

But assuming an engine spinning 7000rpm and 4.10's that's a little over 135...

Its a Dodge so it would probably run out of tranny fluid prior to reaching any of those speeds! No matter how its geared!!

-stew-
08-16-2012, 06:48 PM
Its a Dodge so it would probably run out of tranny fluid prior to reaching any of those speeds! No matter how its geared!!

Um, its a Plymouth for starters and it prolly had a 727. And 727's are made out of hardened military grade diamonds, so, ah, you're dumb.

Crawlin
08-16-2012, 07:12 PM
Um, its a Plymouth for starters and it prolly had a 727. And 727's are made out of hardened military grade diamonds, so, ah, you're dumb.

Have to agree, thought most of the old nostalgia super stock mopars actually were automatics compared to the 4spd cars from GM and Ford

CATNHAT
08-16-2012, 07:47 PM

Plymouth Dodge Whaaaaaaaaatever......

Still a waste of a cool car.

Prince Valiant
08-17-2012, 12:00 AM
Have to agree, thought most of the old nostalgia super stock mopars actually were automatics compared to the 4spd cars from GM and Ford
It was probably a push-button automatic...and as stew said, 727, which is about as rock-solid as they get (it's one spot where it is vulnerable to breakage is easy enough to avoid...don't shift into third at high rpm's when doing burnouts in the bleach box) . Were it a manual, it'd be the uber strong 833, another very very hard to break unit.

jbiscuit
08-17-2012, 07:32 AM
Car was an auto:

http://moparsbymosher.com/finished/65plymouths/moshers65plymouth/moshers-1965-plymouth-belvedere-I-05.jpg

Prince Valiant
08-17-2012, 09:15 AM
doh...forgot we were talking '65 here...no push-button there.

Irish
08-17-2012, 09:19 AM
Car was an auto:

http://moparsbymosher.com/finished/65plymouths/moshers65plymouth/moshers-1965-plymouth-belvedere-I-05.jpg

Nice car but the older dodge/plymouth had some fugly gauge clusters!

jbiscuit
08-17-2012, 08:08 PM
I could give two shits about the way that dash looks. Everyting Bob Mosher turns out of that shop is a monster. We saw one of his cars at Bob's Big Boy in Burbank at their cruise night. 12:1 compression 500" wedge motor with slicks, etc and not only was the car PERFECT it sounded like a dragster pulling into the parking lot! Love his work

Irish
08-17-2012, 08:48 PM
I could give two shits about the way that dash looks. Everyting Bob Mosher turns out of that shop is a monster. We saw one of his cars at Bob's Big Boy in Burbank at their cruise night. 12:1 compression 500" wedge motor with slicks, etc and not only was the car PERFECT it sounded like a dragster pulling into the parking lot! Love his work

Wasn't ripping on his work..