PDA

View Full Version : Thermostat Questions -HVAC guys in here.

03CVLX
08-15-2012, 10:31 PM
Hey guys,

What is the correct or best place in the house to put the Thermostat. Right now at my parents house they have it on the wall in the living room. Apparently it was moved there many years ago from the hallway around the corner. I am not convinced that was such a good idea, but am gonna see what the pros know on the subject.

It seems like to me that the A/C runs more often because of all the heat in that room, from the big bay window and the Big Screen TV and other electronics.

We also notice that the bedrooms, never get to the temps that they should. Either cold in the winter or hot in the summer.

On a side note, the house insulation was completely redone from attic to basement in 2008 so that is all up to spec. Anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks,
Tom

awsomeears
08-15-2012, 10:49 PM
I see this all the time....

Ideal location is center of the home near a Cold Air Return, reason being is that the Return is the last place air travels heading back to the furnace or A/C. If that return air is for the sake of argument 70 degrees and your thermostat is Asking for 70 then most likely the rest of the home is...

If the Thermostat is near a TV ( See this all the time ) rooms furthest from the Thermostat will be off by 1-5 degrees...

Few area's to not have a thermostat would be near sun light and near a supply vent or in the kitchen....

I have re-located plenty of Thermostats....

What year was the home built ????

03CVLX
08-15-2012, 11:04 PM
House was built in 1961.

Its kinda funny, the way the living room is laid out. you have the very small hallway leading to the kitchen/hallway to bedrooms. Thermostat is on the corner of the wall. I attached a very very cheesy drawing of how things are laid out now. Paint didn't cooperate totally but I think you get a rough idea anyway.

It's pretty much exactly as you say. 1-5 degrees off always. I think as of late Thermostat may even be messed up, because it just is running more often it seems and the temps are even further off. Colder in bedrooms with A/C on than what the thermostat reads.

awsomeears
08-15-2012, 11:18 PM
Seems normal to me, honestly I have seen some piss poor places but as long as its near a common return its Okay.....

Thermostat could be junk...
System may be out of adjustment
Filter could be plugged

I usually recommend running the fan all of the time, but in some cases customers don't like the fan on 24/7

It promotes even air temps through the whole home and Clean air

03CVLX
08-15-2012, 11:23 PM
Ok, yeah its right across from a cold air return. But the TV is no more than 5 feet from that cold air return so I wasn't sure. How does the system get adjusted?? Filter gets changed fairly regularly so should be ok. Kinda leaning towards the thermostat being junky.... What is a good basic thermostat to replace it with? don;t need one that does a ton of programs and stuff.

pOrk
08-16-2012, 04:43 AM
Call we energies and get a free one