PDA

View Full Version : Muffler suggestions

WhatsADSM
08-12-2012, 09:47 PM
So I noticed after my last road race event that my exhaust seems to have gotten louder (I also have an annoying resonance I didn't used to have which might be related to the muffler).

It seems I burned up the muffler?! I did notice the muffler case and exhaust tip now have almost a hint of light brown after the event which seems to suggest it saw some heat. I have never had this happen with any of my other cars and the only thing I can guess is that it is simply due to the close proximity of the muffler in relation to the cylinder head in the little Elise. So I guess my question is 2 fold:
1) Is it normal to have mufflers die that quickly with a little heat? Its a straight through large magnaflow that has 1500-2000 street miles and maybe an hour or so of track time on it.
2) Its not that I don't like the sound of a supercharged high strung 4-cylinder, just that I am getting older and have bad hearing and would like something a little more quiet even if it means sacrificing a few horsepower. Any suggestions for a good high flow 3" muffler that isn't too loud? Internet searching seems to have turned up good results for the dynomax super turbo series and the borla xs. Anyone have experience with either of those?