PDA

View Full Version : finding previous owner for lost car title

Memphis
08-12-2012, 08:42 PM
So I bought a car today with no title. The seller bought it 6ish years ago and misplaced the title, no idea who he bought it from. Where can I go or what can I do to find the titled owner or get a title for it? Car is over 20 years old. I dont want to pay title service prices, so trying to keep this local...and legal.

Gregor
08-12-2012, 09:35 PM
if he never transfered the car title to his name he will have to find the last ower that sold him the car and wine and dine him to get a replacement title.

No ifs and or buts. Sometimes you can ask the local cop shop to do a vin search and see if anyone comes up. Wisconsin doesn't accept title company because of the white washing of titles.

If it hasn't been titled in 6 years it might no longer be in system and then good luck getting one. Once I had a DMV teller that if its out of system they would accept a bill of sale, the next week I was told they wouldn't.

PM me I have tracked down a owner before, it sucks.

By law you cant even part one out without a title. Since you don't own it.

Memphis
08-12-2012, 09:59 PM
Ive used the title services before and never had a problem. Maybe they've changed on that?

LIL EVO
08-12-2012, 10:12 PM
I was told you just fill out the title app, include some pictures, and a bill of sale and you send it to madison. They can research it and just cut you a new title.

Rocket Power
08-13-2012, 07:36 AM
When I got the title for my 64 , I got a form from the state, I had to have an leo check the vin and sign off on it. Also had to explain how I got it and send pics. They told me what they thought it was worth, and I had to get a surety bond for 1 1/2 times that amount. I believe it was like $5000 that the bond had to be for. Cost me $100 for the bond and then
he tax on what they thought it was worth, even though I sent them a copy of the ebay auction showing I only paid about $750.

Car Guy
08-13-2012, 12:22 PM
When I got the title for my 64 , I got a form from the state, I had to have an leo check the vin and sign off on it. Also had to explain how I got it and send pics. They told me what they thought it was worth, and I had to get a surety bond for 1 1/2 times that amount. I believe it was like $5000 that the bond had to be for. Cost me $100 for the bond and then
he tax on what they thought it was worth, even though I sent them a copy of the ebay auction showing I only paid about $750.

^^^ This. Call Madison and explain your situation. They will send you a lost title form. The entire process took me about 4.5 months. Twice I had to call the person assigned to my case and 'bump' my paperwork to the top of his pile. Be very polite and patient, they move slow. Also, like Jamie said there will be a decent expense for everything. Cost me about $300.

Memphis
08-13-2012, 09:47 PM
Any chance you have the number to said department in Madison? Would this work with oh say an old motorcycle too?

Rocket Power
08-14-2012, 01:49 AM
Should be the same car or truck. Don't remember which number I called but the dept was like "Research and something "