PDA

View Full Version : WaveRaider

Wagonbacker9
08-09-2012, 06:05 PM
Anybody know where I'd go to get parts for a mid 1990s Yamaha 1100cc engine? I just acquired a WaveRaider that has either bad or no compression on the middle cylender. I'm sure I can handle the rebuild, but I know jack about waverunners.

BoosTT
08-09-2012, 09:35 PM
Denis kirk online. No where good local in the milwaukee area.

Wagonbacker9
08-09-2012, 09:36 PM
Next question, if the middle cylender is making 45 compression, what do you think the chances are its a head/gasket issue vs being rings/piston/cylender?

And this may sound stupid, but reading forum threads, the things they talk about upgrading, I do not even know what they are half the time.. who wants to give me 2-stroke/PWC 101 lessons? lol Whats worth upgrading while I'm in there?

LIL EVO
08-10-2012, 07:49 AM
Went lean and wiped out the piston/ring/ or scored the cylinder wall.

BR3W CITY
08-10-2012, 11:14 AM
you can get the 1200 cylinders for it if it got scored.
Remove flame arrestors and intake grating.
Increase jet size
You could get a new ride plate....I don't know shit about those tho.

Theres a pwc forum called GreenHulk.net they have an oldschool section.

LIL EVO
08-10-2012, 11:22 AM
pwctoday.com and x-h20.com

Wagonbacker9
08-10-2012, 04:39 PM
I stand corrected, its a 1998 (ish?) GV1200, not the earlier 1100 that I thought it was. Got it to fire but it took quite a bit of cranking. And whoever has had it did some ghetto rigging. Theres about a 10 loop coil of fuel hose going from the primer to the engine, there is a bilge pump wired into the back of the engine compartment.. and one of the bolts holding what I believe was the exhaust manifold (didn't look too closely) on was backed all the way out. On the plus side it doesn't look like removing the cylenders in the engine compartment is going to be impossible.

you can get the 1200 cylinders for it if it got scored.
Remove flame arrestors and intake grating.
Increase jet size
You could get a new ride plate....I don't know shit about those tho.

Theres a pwc forum called GreenHulk.net they have an oldschool section.
It has power trim (assuming it works) so that would make a ride plate unnecessary, wouldn't it?

BoosTT
08-10-2012, 06:15 PM
Water intake grate makes a big difference in performance with or without trim. You probably blew a piston and ring. Make sure your crank case is ok and un damaged. If you cracked the crank case the jet ski is junk.

BoosTT
08-10-2012, 06:19 PM
Some of the last two stokes had a plating on the cylinders ( jugs) that cant be honed.

Im not a yamaha fan, but ride a 1200 cc kawi 2 seater!!

Wagonbacker9
08-10-2012, 06:48 PM
Water intake grate makes a big difference in performance with or without trim. You probably blew a piston and ring. Make sure your crank case is ok and un damaged. If you cracked the crank case the jet ski is junk.

No reason to believe it is... from what I can tell it was still running (poorly) when it was put on the trailer, and I got it to pop over briefly. Just found a water intake for $75, guess I snatch that up. If the cyl can't be honed I take it I'm in for buying a new one.

I was also please to find that the rooster tail has been disabled. Always hated those things, only good for goosing someone unaware enough to straddle one, but then they usually end up falling off anyway.

http://i921.photobucket.com/albums/ad51/Wagonbacker9/3114e0b2.jpg