PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for home security..who do you have?

Yooformula
08-09-2012, 04:46 PM
Looking to change our current home monitoring system, but there are so many to choose from so I am looking for personal referrals.

JC70SS
08-09-2012, 04:58 PM
we have brinks, but they were bought out a few years back.

wrath
08-09-2012, 07:56 PM
If you have smartphones and a cellular modem, DIY.

Moparjim
08-09-2012, 09:27 PM
I have adt and am pretty happy with it. some of,the nice features are phone app, key fob for the kid, can control lights, outlets, thermostat with it. Wireless cams I can view on phone. Can program stuff to be automated like lights cam etc.

Its adt pulse system you can have them install a pretty basic system then the additional modules cams etc you van just buy cheap on the web and add and program them yourself.

03CVLX
08-13-2012, 01:53 AM
I'm not a big fan of any alarm systems honestly. I just deal with too many problems at work with the alarm company monitoring centers. I totally understand the reason to want one. I just hate how easily they go off and then get absolutely zero info as to why its going off from the alarm company. We must respond to 20-40 false alarms a day in the city.

WI_Dave
08-13-2012, 06:50 AM
FWIW I gave up on alarms when the news aired a story on how police do not respond to them until someone confirms a break-in. My neighbor has Brinks and they call me next door to go see if there's a problem, before they will call police. I have Stanley at work and they call Securitas to come confirm a problem before police are called. It averages 20min. from time alarm goes off till security company gets on site.

03CVLX
08-13-2012, 08:07 AM
FWIW I gave up on alarms when the news aired a story on how police do not respond to them until someone confirms a break-in. My neighbor has Brinks and they call me next door to go see if there's a problem, before they will call police. I have Stanley at work and they call Securitas to come confirm a problem before police are called. It averages 20min. from time alarm goes off till security company gets on site.

Absoloutley true in the City of Milwaukee. Milwaukee Fire will still respond immediately. Which is what I do, lol But Police will only come out once verified. One of the biggest reasons I think it came to that, is that keyholders refuse to respond to almost every single alarm we get. And Police burglar alarms were something like double or triple our call volume a day. Out of lets say 20 fire alarms a day, we might get keys to 3 or 4. Another 3-4 may also come but they give ETAs of an hour or more.. Do they not understand their house or company might be on FIRE!!!

Nix
08-13-2012, 12:08 PM
If you have smartphones and a cellular modem, DIY.

Please, tell more.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

95 TA - The Beast
04-12-2013, 10:25 PM
Was there any further discussion on this???

As it stands I have ADT, but for the money monthly (almost $50 considering I also have a cell-link), I would have to imagine there is some better solutions for less money???

I mean when we moved in the system was in place and the only thing I did to upgrade was adding in the cell-link. I know you can cancel the ADT service and use the system with other companies for monitoring. I really don't want to have to replace the in-place sensors and wireless is not part of my current system. We do not have an ADT Pulse system either.

So, any suggestions?

Oh, we also have a dog now, which I know isn't a replacement for a good security system, but it sure is a hell of a deterrent to any break-in.

wrath
04-13-2013, 11:22 AM
Mi Casa Verde is probably the most popular for do-it-yourself zwave/home control/security. They're getting a bit commercialized now but their controllers are probably the most idiot proof and user friendly for the dollar.

wrath
04-13-2013, 11:24 AM
Oh, and I forgot, you can go MPLS for wireless backup if you want (in case someone cuts your wired communications to your home). Sixnet makes cheap modems.