PDA

View Full Version : Impressive Theft

Wagonbacker9
08-06-2012, 11:27 PM
http://rumors.automobilemag.com/no-longer-rolling-on-22s-140-wheels-stolen-from-texas-gmc-dealership-63673.html

spooln30
08-07-2012, 01:07 AM
It would be funny if they posted the rims for sale on CL. LOL.

GTSLOW
08-07-2012, 06:50 AM
Holy shit they'd be good on a Nascar team! I bet those will be fun to sell off.

animal
08-07-2012, 07:48 AM
Just think of the prep time involved in that... how many trucks to haul it all away, how many people, how many spare blocks of wood, how many cordless impacts and extra batteries. You'd almost have to have a thief supervisor with a crew like that... lol.

*EDIT* I bet it ends up being one of these things that gets them caught... like the guy they bought 150 blocks of wood from turning them in or going in and buying a shitload of impacts and batteries. Hehe

brotherbenn83
08-07-2012, 08:20 AM
On this episode of Pawn Stars.... "where'd you get em?"

"I, uhhhh, found em at a garage sale"

As long as they don't do something stupid while selling them, I wouldn't be surprised if they got away with this. If you have ever taken off lugs with a cordless impact once you've cracked them loose with a breaker bar, you know there is very little torque required by the impact which means no extra batteries required. Also, you could buy a few 10' long boards and cut them into several blocks worthy of holding the trucks up without raising any suspicion.

BoosTT
08-07-2012, 09:10 AM
Where would you store all those wheels?

-stew-
08-07-2012, 09:23 AM
Just think of the prep time involved in that... how many trucks to haul it all away, how many people, how many spare blocks of wood, how many cordless impacts and extra batteries. You'd almost have to have a thief supervisor with a crew like that... lol.

e

Rim Thieves Local 432! They get shit done!

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

animal
08-07-2012, 09:27 AM
If you have ever taken off lugs with a cordless impact once you've cracked them loose with a breaker bar, you know there is very little torque required by the impact which means no extra batteries required. Also, you could buy a few 10' long boards and cut them into several blocks worthy of holding the trucks up without raising any suspicion.

Yeah but I also know that lugnuts from the factory are put on with the hercules device. (This same device I have reason to believe also tightens the oil filters.) 10-12 even 16 lugs of this nature to loosen on a charge... fine going off my experience with normal lugs. After that it'll start getting more difficult and take longer to get them started. Just seems plausible with something of this nature it would be a lot easier to stack up batteries than to clumsily use a breaker bar. Those wood blocks look like they were cut from new-looking railroad tie sized pieces of wood. They're about 6" thick maybe 8 x 8's? So you're gettin 5 cars worth of blocks from one 10' railroad tie sized piece of wood. Just sayin, someone might remember a guy coming in and buying only 7-8 new railroad ties. I looked for 8x8's at menards. They had only one in stock at the time. Criminals are dumb they doubtful would bother to "mask" the purchase with other deck materials, etc... A detective would easily be able to check local lumber yards or places that might have new railroad tie sized pieces of wood just to maybe get a lead. Just sayin it just seems like this would be a perfect way for them to get caught and I think it'd be awesome to hear it happened... mainly cuz we might get to hear how they orchestrated it :)

brotherbenn83
08-07-2012, 10:45 AM
I will guess insurance fraud, trucks werent damaged...wires cut "expertly" done in the dimmest parts of the lot etc. This crime is straight out of the movie Blue Streak with Martin Lawrence and Luke Wilson.

-stew-
08-07-2012, 11:52 AM
I will guess insurance fraud, trucks werent damaged...wires cut "expertly" done in the dimmest parts of the lot etc. This crime is straight out of the movie Blue Streak with Martin Lawrence and Luke Wilson.

If it is insurance fraud its the worst scam ever. Wheels are worth $500 a set on the street. Then you gotta give the people (a lot of people at that) their cut and hope they all can keep their mouth shut. Them wheels are in Mexico on their eat to south America as we speak.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

BR3W CITY
08-07-2012, 01:01 PM
I honestly believe this kinda stuff is how certain places (O.E. ebay parts suppliers, people who sell NEW parts as a biz on CL) gets and sell them at 30% of retail and still make a profit.

DurtyKurty
08-07-2012, 01:21 PM
Them wheels are in Mexico on their eat to south America as we speak.

This is the only way I can see a theft like this being profitable.

73MACH
08-07-2012, 09:52 PM
This is the only way I can see a theft like this being profitable.

Agreed.....and the fact that it happend in Texas and not Idaho or Minnesota helps that theory.

Nickerz
08-08-2012, 05:52 PM
Obviously an inside job. " the area of the lot chosen lacked camera coverage." Being how easily hidden cameras can be now a days, that certainly means there is some sort of inside involvement. Whether its the owner, service manager or just some lot kids. In my times in dealerships I have seen more than a few employees running theft scams inside dealerships. Even if you're just stealing key remotes, one or two a day really adds up quick.