PDA

View Full Version : Car insurance

73MACH
08-05-2012, 10:12 PM
Long story short, got pulled over in the cobra by a state trooper the other night heading to meet durty kurt and boss at oscars. Pulled me over for no front plate and defective taillight ( none of which are defective.....) Ended up getting a citation for driving with no insurance. I really don't drive the car much at all and work was slow for awhile so I never got any. Now it's time.

I'll be honest, I don't know or understand some of how insurance and their numbers work so this is part of my problem. What would you recommend and from who?

Only drive the car a couple times a month, only summer. Less than 2k miles a year, not stock, it's not a car show car but its far from a pile of shit, a good paint job is all it needs. My driving record is clean, last ticket was like 8 or 10 years ago. I don't know what else I can think of adding to this...

I have american family for all my other stuff buy they said I can't get just a liabilty policy for anything under my minimum on my umbrella policy...so that was like $56 a month. I was hoping for cheaper than that.

Should I just get liabilty? Is it worth it to get comp/collision? I want to keep it cheap too.

What are your thoughts and opinions...

Thanks for your time,

Jason

Wagonbacker9
08-05-2012, 10:30 PM
If you're willing to wreck the car and come out with nothing (other than a wrecked car which would still be yours), then get liability only. If not, full coverage. I carry full coverage with amfam and full coverage cost me like 80/mo on the GTO, my record is... less than stellar.

Prince Valiant
08-05-2012, 10:46 PM
The 73? Get classic car insurance from Hagerty or something similar. You state the value you believe it's worth, and they'll insure you...can't drive it to work/groceries/etc, but cruises, unlimited miles, and little hassle is great. I think I only pay 350/yr on the LRT...had been paying 250 earlier.

73MACH
08-06-2012, 05:55 AM
The 73? Get classic car insurance from Hagerty or something similar. You state the value you believe it's worth, and they'll insure you...can't drive it to work/groceries/etc, but cruises, unlimited miles, and little hassle is great. I think I only pay 350/yr on the LRT...had been paying 250 earlier.

No, the '73 is insured, this is for my '95 cobra.

Wagonbacker, That's what I'm unsure of...is the car worth getting full coverage? Will they replace heads, cam, etc. if the car is wrecked? I don't have many receipts since most of the stuff was on car when I bought it. I do however have a build sheet for the motor if that would act as a receipt.

Irish
08-06-2012, 09:23 AM
No, the '73 is insured, this is for my '95 cobra.

Wagonbacker, That's what I'm unsure of...is the car worth getting full coverage? Will they replace heads, cam, etc. if the car is wrecked? I don't have many receipts since most of the stuff was on car when I bought it. I do however have a build sheet for the motor if that would act as a receipt.

I think up to 10k you don't have to worry about listing every nut and bolt on the car. I am pretty sure they won't stick you for the value of a stock Cobra with unknown mileage however, I would ask your agent directly to clarify.

If you wreck the car and the drivetrain is worth salvaging, buy the car back from the insurance company and pull it. :)

HITMAN
08-06-2012, 09:42 AM
Comp and collision doesn't ad that much in the way of premium to the policy. I have State Farm and even after my $500 deductible I ended up with $1776.85 for a 1994 Toyota Tercel DX with nothing in the way of options except A/C. (Interesting, considering I bought it for $1400 in '09...) It may not cover the whole amount of the car's value, but it's better than a sharp stick in the eye.

Prince Valiant
08-06-2012, 10:23 AM
I ended up with $1776.85 for a 1994 Toyota Tercel DX with nothing in the way of options except A/C. :wooo :confused :wooo :confused

Damn dude...I pay ~ 1,500/yr to insure 2 cars for 2 drivers for full coverage along with a 3rd (wrangler) for liability, AND cover the LRT...

Hell, for not too much more than what you pay, I insure all 5 vehicles, home, and have an umbrella policy...

HITMAN
08-06-2012, 04:20 PM
:wooo :confused :wooo :confused

Damn dude...I pay ~ 1,500/yr to insure 2 cars for 2 drivers for full coverage along with a 3rd (wrangler) for liability, AND cover the LRT...

Hell, for not too much more than what you pay, I insure all 5 vehicles, home, and have an umbrella policy...

Uh, that's how much they PAID ME for the car AFTER it got totalled. I guess I should've been more clear about that.

My highest premium was about $120 per month for three cars, one which was my Cobra, two drivers, full coverage with $250 deductable (except for the Tercel, I'm not sure how that ended up at $500, somebody wasnt paying attention...) plus home. Trust me, SF is a great company and has some of the best rates around.

BoosTT
08-06-2012, 07:39 PM
Gotta pay to play. I pay $55/month on my car that I only drive 1 day a week, 6 months a year. One year I only put 400 miles on it!!!!

I would concider only insuring and driving it every other month. I guess you could get real shaddy and pay for 6 months of insurance, get the card that expires in 6 months and then cancel your insurance. I would not recommend this though.

HITMAN
08-06-2012, 07:49 PM
Gotta pay to play. I pay $55/month on my car that I only drive 1 day a week, 6 months a year. One year I only put 400 miles on it!!!!

I would concider only insuring and driving it every other month. I guess you could get real shaddy and pay for 6 months of insurance, get the card that expires in 6 months and then cancel your insurance. I would not recommend this though.

Just leave comp on it for the winter months. It's cheap and your covered in case the roof of the place you're storing it falls on top of it.

BoosTT
08-07-2012, 07:43 AM
^^^ Yes, ofcourse. Comp is around $4/month.

73MACH
08-07-2012, 10:06 PM
Thanks for the insight guys, now only if I could get time from work to talk to some insur. companies before they leave for the day.

pOrk
08-08-2012, 04:42 AM
Call Joe Tilley, he will find the best rate for you. I switched to him a year ago and have saved 600 bucks between all my cars and home insurance. I insure my beetle for agreed value for less then 100/year

Smugglaz
08-15-2012, 05:11 AM
Getting a liability insurance is a great idea. I think you have to pursue it for you to get the benefits and the coverage you deserve.

Irish
08-15-2012, 07:52 AM
Getting a liability insurance is a great idea. I think you have to pursue it for you to get the benefits and the coverage you deserve.

What the f...?

Prince Valiant
08-15-2012, 08:20 AM
I think oftentimes trolls come on just to practice english...

73MACH
08-16-2012, 11:16 AM
Ok, got my insurance all figured out for now. Now the next question is....how do I go about getting this ticket dropped without having to go to the court appearance? I'd really like to not have to take off of work if I don't have to. Can I go to a police station or???

DNT H8
08-16-2012, 09:02 PM
The fact you drove without insurance is plain stupid and irresponsible!! What if God forbid you hit someone and injured them or thier passengers? Could you pay thier medical bills or just leave them to flip the bill? Accidents do happen! Or how would you like someone to hit your 73 and not have insurance to fix the damages? In New York if you get pulled over without insurance you go strait to JAIL no questions asked!!!!!!

Anyway, Hargerty is your best bet. I did lots of research they are the best all around to go with. Stated value too...

PureSound15
08-17-2012, 07:45 AM
DNT H8 is hatin'

Irish
08-17-2012, 08:28 AM
DNT H8 is hatin'

Lol, Word!

DNT H8
08-17-2012, 09:53 AM
DNT H8 is hatin'
LOL ya my bad.... I just think like "what if my kids or a fam member were hit by a guy like this (God forbid)" ... Some things as reckless as this you have to call out even if its hatin lol. Duces

Prince Valiant
08-17-2012, 10:11 AM
Can I go to a police station or???Wouldn't know...I assume it wasn't a "fix-it" ticket....probably have to pay the fine or show up at court to contest it.

WickedSix
08-17-2012, 10:22 AM
DNT H8 you should have insurance to protect your families health in that event... it would be foolish of you to not have coverage for them

to the original post I think you will have to go to court, but its been my experience that $ amounts are rarely decreased only points/type of violation get changed

DNT H8
08-17-2012, 01:24 PM
DNT H8 you should have insurance to protect your families health in that event... it would be foolish of you to not have coverage for them
Not only do I but I have above the minimum amount required by NYS law. But, why should I worry about my insurance company fighting someone in court to recoup the money from an uninsured motorist! And you can bet your bottom dollar when your policy renews the underwriters WILL take the payout into consideration (regardless of no-fault). Bottom line you all should scorn a person who would operate a motor vehical uninsured... Period! Its really a moral responability to be insured in this day and age!

jimez1
08-17-2012, 01:51 PM
If it is a true ticket then you have to go to the courthouse and plead your case. If it is a warning, 5 day, or fix it or ticket, as they all were known as, then just go to the PD that gave it to you. Show them the proof of insurance, and then they will drop the five day. I am guessing it is a true ticket though considering it is not the same as a burnt out headlight or a missing muffler, and the fact that it was a state trooper that issued it.

Irish
08-17-2012, 02:28 PM
Not only do I but I have above the minimum amount required by NYS law. But, why should I worry about my insurance company fighting someone in court to recoup the money from an uninsured motorist! And you can bet your bottom dollar when your policy renews the underwriters WILL take the payout into consideration (regardless of no-fault). Bottom line you all should scorn a person who would operate a motor vehical uninsured... Period! Its really a moral responability to be insured in this day and age!

Scorn... Haha! Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned lol! What is this, a drama on lifetime?

Look, what's done is done, I am pretty sure you've done some dumb shit in your life. You never "just finished up a project, fired it up and took around the block before calling your insurance agent? Keep in mind that he didn't have to post up seeking advice.

If he wouldn't have posted, you wouldn't have known, thusly taking the soap box out of the equation.

I agree that people need to have insurance if they are operating a motor vehicle.

If you are new to WI, just to let you know they only just started requiring insurance on a vehicle, in this state about a year ago..

Prince Valiant
08-17-2012, 08:12 PM
Its really a moral responability to be insured in this day and age!Um, it's not. I don't pay good money and insure myself because I give two shits about someone else. I only insure myself to protect what I have and have earned.

73MACH
08-18-2012, 09:39 AM
Yes it is an actual citation. The trooper told me that if I get insurance before the court date, they will drop it. I was just unsure if I could take care of it before the court date or not.

Thanks guys!!!

DNT H8
08-18-2012, 02:11 PM
you never "just finished up a project, fired it up and took around the block before calling your insurance agent?
no!

Irish
08-18-2012, 02:33 PM
no!

I'm calling bullshit on that!

btw... most reputable insurance companies will cover you for 24 hours if say you were to purchase a new to you car from a private seller or get the car together and take a spin around the block...

Nevertheless, like J said, I have insurance to cover my stuff, not someone else's!

michelle
08-18-2012, 03:03 PM
You should be scorned for that username. It's not morally responsible to abuse the English language!

Prince Valiant
08-18-2012, 03:05 PM
btw... most reputable insurance companies will cover you for 24 hours if say you were to purchase a new to you car from a private seller or get the car together and take a spin around the block...Actually, In WI, if you're insured by an insurance company and have just recently picked up a car, you are automatically insured for at least a week, maybe even two.

During the great floods a couple years backed, I had recently purchased a Jeep Grand Cherokee from the parents...a couple days later, my jeep got washed out (water up to the dashboard), and I hadn't called the insurance company yet. But they covered it...I paid on the premium from when I purchased/titled the vehicle to when the floods occurred. They totaled it out less my deductible (they assumed same coverage as other vehicles) and cut me a check.

But you're right...if you just want to take an uninsured car around the block and you have an agent, calling and leaving a message is sufficient...and if nothing happens, nothing is ever submitted/charged.

-stew-
08-18-2012, 03:37 PM
Is it morally reprehensible for me to ride my huffy around with no.insurance?

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

DNT H8
08-18-2012, 03:58 PM
I'm calling bullshit on that
Like i said in NYS you go to jail for no insurance, even going around the block is not worth the risk. Not to mention if something happened.

Plus my builds require insurance at all times if something happened during storage or build down time its needs to be covered $$.

Irish
08-18-2012, 05:48 PM
Like i said in NYS you go to jail for no insurance, even going around the block is not worth the risk. Not to mention if something happened.

Plus my builds require insurance at all times if something happened during storage or build down time its needs to be covered $$.

This isn't NY.

DNT H8
08-18-2012, 06:36 PM
This isn't NY.

LOL no kidding... you called BS on something that was fact and I explained why! "This isnt NY" does not even apply or make sense... But anyway.

---Done with this thread the horse has been long dead! Duces

Irish
08-18-2012, 07:27 PM
LOL no kidding... you called BS on something that was fact and I explained why! "This isnt NY" does not even apply or make sense... But anyway.

---Done with this thread the horse has been long dead! Duces

So... You come in here on your high horse. Someone challenges your "logic" (ie high horse) and you get a little butthurt? I should "scorn" you for that!

It's only fact if it can be proven therefore, since you can't prove it, I don't believe you! Ones!

-stew-
08-19-2012, 02:10 PM
Lets see, new guy doesn't afraid of anything, gets butthurt easy, drives fox body...

He'll fit in on bcm fine, just fine.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

MurphysLaw88GT
08-20-2012, 05:58 PM
Actually, In WI, if you're insured by an insurance company and have just recently picked up a car, you are automatically insured for at least a week, maybe even two.

During the great floods a couple years backed, I had recently purchased a Jeep Grand Cherokee from the parents...a couple days later, my jeep got washed out (water up to the dashboard), and I hadn't called the insurance company yet. But they covered it...I paid on the premium from when I purchased/titled the vehicle to when the floods occurred. They totaled it out less my deductible (they assumed same coverage as other vehicles) and cut me a check.

But you're right...if you just want to take an uninsured car around the block and you have an agent, calling and leaving a message is sufficient...and if nothing happens, nothing is ever submitted/charged.

Just make sure to understand the distinctions between an additional vehicle and a replacement vehicle and how that relates to your specific auto policy. I see people get burned every day that way.

GRAMPS SS
08-28-2012, 09:07 PM

I have HAGERTY for the DUSTPAN Chris..and I can drive it to work ...they said no problem..not just everyday....have it insured under modified vehical...wish I paid 350.00 a year on the car....but I dont...BUT if the car gets totaled...I get what I have it valued at...and can go buy a new Challenger :)