PDA

View Full Version : It's been a while but... gas question

TheRX7Project
07-29-2012, 04:07 AM
I'm getting ready to (attempt to) fire the RX7 up again next week. It's been sitting for 2 years with some 93 octane premix (~125:1 with 2-cycle oil, it's a rotary thing). Should it be OK with the old gas? Or else, anyone want some 2-year-old gas? I have no way to store or transport it or else I'd just save it for the lawnmower. I'm pretty sure it's got at least half a tank, or ~6 gallons+.

Bobby "Big Daddy" Flay
07-29-2012, 07:11 AM
Add a can of Seafoam to the tank and then try it.

03Mach1
07-29-2012, 09:37 AM
At two years old I would remove it and start with fresh. That way you know what you have and you are not second guessing your fuel quality while you are trying to get it up and running.

77thor
07-29-2012, 10:15 AM
You should have put some gas stabilizer in there before storing the car...
I would also dump the gas and start with fresh.

Prince Valiant
07-29-2012, 11:17 AM
If the tank was full, should be okay...it'll breakdown quicker and more aggressively with an empty tank. Either way, that it is ~ 2y/o gas, it should start and run. Once had a field find where the car had sat 5 some odd years...a little gas in the carb to help prime it and off we drove just fine.

Given it's so easy though, no qualms w/ drawing the gas out and replacing it is probably better for the car.

awsomeears
07-29-2012, 12:01 PM
The way I look @ it is...

Spent a few thousand redoing the rx7 ( I'm guessing ) and a ton of time...

How much time and cost does it really take to remove the old gas and dump some new in :)

Car Guy
07-29-2012, 12:42 PM

How much time and cost does it really take to remove the old gas and dump some new in :)

D61z8Mirfss

pOrk
07-29-2012, 01:53 PM
I'd run it cause seriously, who cares? If you have a problem with it running then worry about it, but you wont

DurtyKurty
07-29-2012, 08:41 PM
You won't have a problem.

wrath
07-29-2012, 08:53 PM
Fill it up with fresh gas (somewhere that actually has fresh 93) and run it.

TheRX7Project
07-30-2012, 08:31 AM

Spent a few thousand redoing the rx7 ( I'm guessing ) and a ton of time...

Actually no, it sat for two years because I haven't had the time nor the motivation to put a fuel pump in it and fix the clutch. I found some time and some motivation.

The Shaolin
07-30-2012, 08:54 AM
Yep. Should be fine. It will run well enough for you to get fresh stuff in.

wrath
07-30-2012, 09:06 AM
Out of curiosity, why do people seem to think that gasoline that has been sitting around does irreparable harm? By the time gasoline gets to you it's already months old and more than likely is already out of "specification".

Assuming your car has a functioning EVAP system, then the tank is pretty well sealed. So, it shouldn't have picked up any new moisture and the oxidation process is limited to what is in the tank. Since it was stored indoors, it didn't see the large temperature swings every day. The reaction process should have been limited.

The best gasoline to store is probably still going to be Sunoco or any of the "top tier" gasolines.

TheRX7Project
08-01-2012, 11:26 AM
It was stored outdoors and does not have a functioning evap system. It was, however, probably BP gasoline. I'll probably fire it up then top the tank off with new premix.

BR3W CITY
08-01-2012, 12:01 PM
its an oil burning RX7, it will be fine. I've had 2, and you can't really kill them....unless they just decide to blow apex seals and die.

TheRX7Project
08-02-2012, 07:20 AM
I've gotta run some MMO through it first to free up anything that's stuck... less worried about a blown seal than I am about a stuck one. I rode it hard and put it up wet...