PDA

View Full Version : Bolt on 5.0 almost runs 10's!

Irish
07-15-2012, 09:49 AM
This is why I want a new 5.0 with an automatic! No boost or spray, all motor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdM2fQ4UKvU&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Prince Valiant
07-15-2012, 10:02 AM
cool stuff...THAT'S impressive!

one question: is an intake manifold (i.e., the "boss manifold") considered "bolt-on" these days?

Not to besmirch the results...that's fantastic. But I always thought "bolt-on" referred to cold air intakes, headers, things like that...not that the intake manifold is a huge engine mod or what not...but I always thought it was fairly beyond the simple mods considered "bolt-on"...

WhatsADSM
07-15-2012, 10:55 AM
I think most would consider an intake manifold a bolt on.

Irish
07-15-2012, 11:25 AM
cool stuff...THAT'S impressive!

one question: is an intake manifold (i.e., the "boss manifold") considered "bolt-on" these days?

Not to besmirch the results...that's fantastic. But I always thought "bolt-on" referred to cold air intakes, headers, things like that...not that the intake manifold is a huge engine mod or what not...but I always thought it was fairly beyond the simple mods considered "bolt-on"...

I would consider it a bolt on. You could definitely argue that it is -vs- it is not. It is a factory part however, did not come factory on that car. So it's definitely debatable. The same thing could be said for the converter.

I guess the point I attempted to make is that it's N/A, stock heads and cams, and stock short block.

GTSLOW
07-15-2012, 11:32 AM
This is why I want a new 5.0 with an automatic! No boost or spray, all motor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdM2fQ4UKvU&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Irish, please do not post about the new 5.0s, GT500s, etc... The posting of threads like this are reserved for BOSSLX. He may be pissed at you just sayin.

Prince Valiant
07-15-2012, 11:37 AM
Irish, please do not post about the new 5.0s, GT500s, etc... The posting of threads like this are reserved for BOSSLX. He may be pissed at you just sayin.Naw, posting these is fine; Boss reserves the right to be the only one who acts like a 6th grade girl at a Jonas bros. concert about it though.

...and then start a thread about it three more times.

Prince Valiant
07-15-2012, 11:50 AM
I guess the point I attempted to make is that it's N/A, stock heads and cams, and stock short block.Not saying YOU claimed it was just "bolt-on", that's what the video author titled it as...

I think most would consider an intake manifold a bolt on.eh...I don't know. Maybe since many/most are "dry" w/ no coolant flowing through 'em these days maybe it's more so and fewer engines these days no longer literally show their insides (ie, oil passages, cam, even see down to the crank and rods in some cases). Still not sure even these days w/ the fuel rails/injectors, etc and the fact many accessories still bolt to and hook up to the intakes take this beyond a "bolt-on" in my mind...

fwiw, I've always generally considered the term "bolt-on" anywhere @ and before the throttle plates (so TB included), and anywhere down the exhaust...though injectors and rocker arms also fall under the rubric of "bolt-on" too.

Al
07-15-2012, 12:00 PM
fwiw, I've always generally considered the term "bolt-on" anywhere @ and before the throttle plates (so TB included), and anywhere down the exhaust...though injectors and rocker arms also fall under the rubric of "bolt-on" too.

Supercharger = bolt-on?

Irish
07-15-2012, 12:26 PM
Regardless of what is or is not considered a bolt on, I thought it was cool!

GTSLOW
07-15-2012, 12:29 PM
The term bolt-on was lost many years ago. I've heard people explain anything except forced induction/NOS as being bolt-on's.

Want_Notch
07-15-2012, 01:16 PM
Damn....sounds like he left off idle too....

BigSnailBuick
07-15-2012, 04:19 PM
4200 stall 0.o Those Hoosiers Radials are some yummy tires though. All the impressive feats ive seen from cars all year have been on the same tires :)

Irish
07-15-2012, 04:38 PM
4200 stall 0.o Those Hoosiers Radials are some yummy tires though. All the impressive feats ive seen from cars all year have been on the same tires :)

Let us know how that new turbo blanket works out for you. I am very interested since I watched that video.

BigSnailBuick
07-15-2012, 05:22 PM
Let us know how that new turbo blanket works out for you. I am very interested since I watched that video.

Ive never had any problems without running shields or blankets so I dont really know how to judge them. And my car is no where near the level of excellent to test exhaust housing EGT's to make sure im getting max energy like the crazy Asian tuner vids I have seen! :D Way over my head haha

However a few guys on turbobuick told me the heat never leaves the housing. You could do a dyno pull with your hand on the exhaust housing and never feel heat so thats for sure telling me they work. When the turbo comes in on monday Ill post up how well everything fit and went on. :)

Back to this video however....I wonder what the street drive-ability is like on a car stripped and setup like this. 4000+ stall has to get a little hot :P

Irish
07-15-2012, 06:21 PM
Ive never had any problems without running shields or blankets so I dont really know how to judge them. And my car is no where near the level of excellent to test exhaust housing EGT's to make sure im getting max energy like the crazy Asian tuner vids I have seen! :D Way over my head haha

However a few guys on turbobuick told me the heat never leaves the housing. You could do a dyno pull with your hand on the exhaust housing and never feel heat so thats for sure telling me they work. When the turbo comes in on monday Ill post up how well everything fit and went on. :)

Back to this video however....I wonder what the street drive-ability is like on a car stripped and setup like this. 4000+ stall has to get a little hot :P

I have no idea. I wish he would have gave more detail if it was gutted, size of the converter, what it flashes to when it hits.. etc...

I am more impressed by the power plant that it can do it with a stock long block.

I have heard nothing but good things about the new A6.

Russ Jerome
07-15-2012, 10:06 PM
I would say Intake is a bolt on but pulling the trans to install a convertor is reaching a little.
Awesome for a stockish car at anyrate.

BOSS LX
07-15-2012, 10:29 PM
My 6th grade ways would have made me post this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siqUezuWSyE&feature=related

Kinda boring posting all the new style mustangs raping the competition. Nice to see stangs other then the foxes doing work.

-stew-
07-15-2012, 10:41 PM
One thousand two hundred forty seven point two miles an hour is a remarkable speed to reach in a quarter of a mile.

GTSLOW
07-16-2012, 12:13 PM
It seems since the release of this new 5.0 the phrase "bolt-on" has taken a new shape. Typical Ford always ruining good things.

Irish
07-16-2012, 12:37 PM
Typical Ford always ruining good things.

Huh?

-stew-
07-16-2012, 01:02 PM
It seems since the release of this new 5.0 the phrase "bolt-on" has taken a new shape. Typical Ford always ruining good things.

I think efi, and more recently the tunability of obd2 computers has changed the shape of what a "bolt on" is. And I think Nan is just salty because GM hasn't done anything innovative to shake things up since 1998 when they introduced the LSx to the world. (Corvette had them before, blah, blah, blah.)

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

Prince Valiant
07-16-2012, 03:31 PM
Supercharger = bolt-on?

fwiw, I've always generally considered the term "bolt-on" anywhere @ and before the throttle plates (so TB included), and anywhere down the exhaust...though injectors and rocker arms also fall under the rubric of "bolt-on" too.Qualifiers are a good thing. No...I don't put s/c's in the bolt-on category

Irish
07-16-2012, 06:17 PM
Qualifiers are a good thing. No...I don't put s/c's in the bolt-on category

Qualifiers? What do you mean?

Prince Valiant
07-16-2012, 06:26 PM
Qualifiers? What do you mean?

The word "generally" in my previous statement qualifies that I don't exclusively think bolt-ons are any mod before the TB or after the exhaust valve...as superchargers fit within those parameters...If I thought that ALL mods beforeTB/after exhaust valve constituted bolt-ons, then I would logically HAVE to think superchargers or turbos were then by my definition be termed "bolt-ons."

So I qualified that I only "generally" think that and thus I allow for exceptions.

Waver
07-16-2012, 06:40 PM
The word "generally" in my previous statement qualifies that I don't exclusively think bolt-ons are any mod before the TB or after the exhaust valve...as superchargers fit within those parameters...If I thought that ALL mods beforeTB/after exhaust valve constituted bolt-ons, then I would logically HAVE to think superchargers or turbos were then by my definition be termed "bolt-ons."

So I qualified that I only "generally" think that and thus I allow for exceptions.

Now, I am curious, but why dont you factor a SC or Turbo set up into the "bolt on" catagory? Is it because it is a more involved modification, unlike that of a CAI that can be added on with in 15 min? Or perhaps is it because it changes the induction system of the vehicle all together?

badass88gt
07-16-2012, 06:46 PM
Power adders have never been considered a bolt on as far as I'm concerned.

Waver
07-16-2012, 06:52 PM
Power adders have never been considered a bolt on as far as I'm concerned.

See, that is a gray area. I have been told by several people that a bolt on is something that can be "bolted on the car" where as others have said it depends on the amount of difficulty, and even others still have said that it is anything that dosnt involve anything further than taking off the heads.

Prince Valiant
07-16-2012, 07:20 PM
Now, I am curious, but why dont you factor a SC or Turbo set up into the "bolt on" catagory? Is it because it is a more involved modification, unlike that of a CAI that can be added on with in 15 min? Or perhaps is it because it changes the induction system of the vehicle all together?Because "bolt-on" isn't a literal term. It's a colloquial term that more or less describes "simple mods."

Superchargers and turbos are not "simple mods"

Likewise, for the most part, I do not consider replacing an intake manifold "a simple mod"...the most difficult of the "simple mods" being putting on headers (which true, some are absolute bitches to get in, no doubt).

And while "bolt on" used to be reserved for CAI's, TB's, rocker arms, exhaust mods, the definition is constantly being stretched...and mostly by people who want to elevate the accomplishment of their cars performance and potential by downplaying the true nature of it's mods.

Two mustangs run the exact same time, 12.0 @ 117, and one says "just bolt-ons" and the other gives the honest list of what they did...which might include who knows what, the "bolt-on" claimant might strike many as more impressive.

It's not too different in my mind of those who used to CONSTANTLY claim "fastest stock head, auto equiped, stock geared trans-am that's painted yellow in the country!"....which we've seen work it's way to "fastest 10.87695 inch radial w/ a tread wear of 450 tire car in the country!"

People would generally want to have the fastest "bolt-on" car in the country over the slowest (or even simply the average) HCI car in the country.

As a literal term, it's hard to fathom many if any mods that aren't literally "bolted on"...hell, my new heads were "bolted on"...as were many other things...but given the direction that people HAVE taken it, I'm just going to say my truck is stock w/ just "bolt-on" mods. Why not?

On another note...I guess it's not too different when I used to tell people that the valiant was "just a 318...."

BOSS LX
07-16-2012, 07:23 PM
Eh, if I can turn a stock mustang GT into a legit deep 9 second car in a day without lifting a valve cover, it is cool, bolt-on car or not.

badass88gt
07-16-2012, 07:30 PM
Nick name one modification that doesn't get bolted on? Power adders, internal engine mods, chassis, and drivetrain have never been considered "bolt ons" when used in the context that we are talking. Bolt on doesn't refer to the method in which a part is fastened.

Waver
07-16-2012, 07:35 PM
Dan, I am not arguing that. My whole point was that the term "bolt on" is all up to the users own defination

Al
07-16-2012, 07:37 PM
Regardless of what is or is not considered a bolt on, I thought it was cool!

I agree. The only domestic car I would consider buying is a Ford these days. Historically, I've been partial to GM.

Gregor
07-31-2012, 11:09 PM
As I have been told by a few people that run way faster than I will ever see in my lifetime.

Bolt on is a part or modifcation that does not require,

1.. Tuning
2.. Machining
3.. or extreme cutting or welding to the frame or unibody.

So adding a set of lower control arms are considered a bolt on, but backhalfing a mustang, minitubs, welding in a midplate and weld thru subframe connectors, are not considered a bolt ons. Power adders such as N2O, and boost require tuning to some point, sure you can bolt on a 150HP shot but one wrong slip and your next visit will be to the machine shop for a new engine.

but taking any factory fresh car bolting on a set of slicks and then getting kicked off the track because you dont have a cage is bad ass

Nickerz
08-01-2012, 07:19 PM
See, that is a gray area. I have been told by several people that a bolt on is something that can be "bolted on the car" where as others have said it depends on the amount of difficulty, and even others still have said that it is anything that dosnt involve anything further than taking off the heads.

Calling heads, cams, shortblock, power adders (including nitrous, gears, suspension work of any kind etc a bolt on is a sure fire way to be written off as a n00b IMO. And yes, nitrous is not a fucking bolt on. Its a power adder. IMO tires have never really been considered a "bolt on" but have always just been assumed to be added into the equation since crap tires = crap times no matter what. That being said, there is a difference between DRs and big and littles. But honestly the definition of bolt on really has strayed over the years. I think the intake manifold is still a gray area. It didn't used to be considered one until it was so common. Back in 5.0\TPI SBC\LT1\Vortec days that was a step into a major mod. But the LS1\LS6 manifold swaps were so common place it sort of just became a bolt on.

pOrk
08-01-2012, 07:26 PM
Arguing about what a bolt on is? Only an argument that nick would be involved in. This thread is so gay

Nickerz
08-01-2012, 07:29 PM
http://coedmagazine.files.wordpress.com/2007/09/06/gay-o-meter.jpg

DNT H8
08-02-2012, 11:22 AM
Nice to see stangs other then the foxes doing work.

^ LOL This ^

Anyway, the stall took this car out of "bolt-on" territory imo. Not to mention it has 0 interior lol, now its a track car. The new 5.0's are very impressive either way. Im holding out buying a 12' (13's are fugly) for the 2015 Mustang. New everything and unlike the "haters" I love the new concept photos!

Waver
08-03-2012, 10:31 PM
Calling heads, cams, shortblock, power adders (including nitrous, gears, suspension work of any kind etc a bolt on is a sure fire way to be written off as a n00b IMO. And yes, nitrous is not a fucking bolt on. Its a power adder. IMO tires have never really been considered a "bolt on" but have always just been assumed to be added into the equation since crap tires = crap times no matter what. That being said, there is a difference between DRs and big and littles. But honestly the definition of bolt on really has strayed over the years. I think the intake manifold is still a gray area. It didn't used to be considered one until it was so common. Back in 5.0\TPI SBC\LT1\Vortec days that was a step into a major mod. But the LS1\LS6 manifold swaps were so common place it sort of just became a bolt on.

Nick, you have a nice car, so I will leave it at that. Wait, who the fuck am I kidding? That is not me. Where the hell did I say that heads, cam, and intake was not a bolt on? I dont believe I did. I was talking about what other people have told me in the past. You see, every one has a different view on this. To me a bolt on includes heads, cam, and intake. Fi of any kind (including n20) is a power adder. A shortblock is neither, it is a fucking major mod. Hell, in most cases, it is a new engine. Now when did the term bolt on ever refer to suspension? For that matter, who the fuck other than your self said anything about tires? The term bolt on, refers to the engine. My 88 mustang was an almost full bolt on car (except for heads and cam). My 04 has a stock engine except for the god damn intake. Shit, didnt the forum talk about this in 2 different retarded ass threads about my car and how fucking slow it is? Tires and suspension are not a bolt on, they are a traction aid. No one gives a fuck about how well a car grips a corner, they care about how fast it goes. There for suspension will never be considered a bolt on......

This post was done after I drank 10 beers....pay no attention to me.:goof

Nickerz
08-04-2012, 04:25 AM
Nick, you have a nice car, so I will leave it at that. Wait, who the fuck am I kidding? That is not me. Where the hell did I say that heads, cam, and intake was not a bolt on? I dont believe I did. I was talking about what other people have told me in the past. You see, every one has a different view on this. To me a bolt on includes heads, cam, and intake. Fi of any kind (including n20) is a power adder. A shortblock is neither, it is a fucking major mod. Hell, in most cases, it is a new engine. Now when did the term bolt on ever refer to suspension? For that matter, who the fuck other than your self said anything about tires? The term bolt on, refers to the engine. My 88 mustang was an almost full bolt on car (except for heads and cam). My 04 has a stock engine except for the god damn intake. Shit, didnt the forum talk about this in 2 different retarded ass threads about my car and how fucking slow it is? Tires and suspension are not a bolt on, they are a traction aid. No one gives a fuck about how well a car grips a corner, they care about how fast it goes. There for suspension will never be considered a bolt on......

This post was done after I drank 10 beers....pay no attention to me.:goof
It wasn't a jab at you, but people that think that superchargers and shit are bolt ons. Basically the people you are talking about. So yeaaaaah :rolf

1320PNY
08-04-2012, 09:09 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIQeTNfoNBg&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Irish
08-04-2012, 09:10 AM
The sad thing is, 80% of the people (including myself) that posted in this thread do not have a car as a fast or faster than the car this thread was started about....

Nickerz
08-05-2012, 12:04 AM
The sad thing is, 80% of the people (including myself) that posted in this thread do not have a car as a fast or faster than the car this thread was started about....

Nothing wrong with benchmarking!

Prince Valiant
08-05-2012, 12:44 AM
The sad thing is, 80% of the people (including myself) that posted in this thread do not have a car as a fast or faster than the car this thread was started about....Yeah...but I like what I've got better.

Irish
08-05-2012, 08:45 AM
Yeah...but I like what I've got better.

Well that's a plus!

HITMAN
08-06-2012, 09:28 AM
An intake, especially if it doesn't require coolant drainage and/or distributor removal is a bolt-on. More so than most headers I've installed.

animal
08-06-2012, 09:57 AM

Well based on the thread title, all I should need is these much contested bolt ons :)