PDA

View Full Version : Timing Tape and other Timing related questions for my sbc !!!

awsomeears
07-10-2012, 11:56 PM
Timing tape question...

I know for sure TDC is 0 on my timing marker and harmonic balancer , #1 piston is at the highest point, my heads were off so I could visually see.

My timing marker only goes to 16, well I will eventually set my curve and double check my advanced stop bushing ( looks to be a blue 21degrees ) is fully functioning. But I need a larger tape installed correct me if I'm wrong.

So how do I go about putting tape on my harmonic balance ?

Second for those running a sbc what is your idle and mechanical advanced setup to ? More less curious as its all new to me...

My MSD is the Pro Billet non vacuum adv 8571 model

The MSD distributor was purchased by previous owner, I'm not assuming its right, therefor I'm going over the springs and what not

jbiscuit
07-11-2012, 07:51 AM
Check double check you are at TDC. Here is a good write up on making sure you are at TDC:

http://forum.grumpysperformance.com/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=966&p=6799&hilit=+center+stop#p6799

The markings on your timing tab don't mean shit. Don't worry about those. How many degrees are marked on your balancer? If it has full markings on it (say all the way up to 40 degrees) you can use those to set timing with. Find your true TDC and if the 0 mark on your timing tab and 0 mark on the balancer are off slightly, just make a mark with a sharpie on the timing tab that aligns with the balancer 0 mark. Or get yourself an adjustable timing tab/pointer which will achieve the same thing. You adjust the pointer to align with the balancer 0 mark. If your balancer doesn't have full degree marks on it (cheap balancer), either replace the balancer with a good one (SFI approved ATi or Fluidamper) or install your timing tape. Again, you stick the tape on "close" and then remark the tab (or install adjustable pointer) to align with it exactly. Now you can time the motor.

What compression is the motor? Every motor is different but to start with, you could set base timing around 14 degrees with a 21 degree stop bushing in the distributor (35 total). With a mild street SBC will generally like 12-18 degrees initial timing (idle) and about 34-36 degrees all in by 2400-2800 RPM. Your car is light (Nova) so it will take the timing coming in fast. You'll have to play around to see where your motor's sweet spot is. For instance, my motor picked up 20hp adding 2 degrees from 34-36 degrees total timing but dropped some HP at 38. You might have to take the distributor out a couple times to change the stop bushing or the springs to get it just right but its worth it in the end to get it tuned correctly. Base timing too retarded will cause the motor to run hotter, poor throttle response, poor fuel economy etc so base timing is important. YOu also have to see your starter is willing to take as well. Too much initial timing and hot it might not want to start.

Moparjim
07-11-2012, 11:01 AM
I have never bothered with tape, just get a dial adjustable timing light, problem solved and usable for every car you will work on. They arent very expensive.

jbiscuit
07-11-2012, 11:19 AM
^ Not sure if he has one or not but the MSD 6AL boxes will cause irratic timing light readings on the dial back lights for some reason. If the balancer has degree markings, you can use any timing light you want even a dial back (just don't use the the dial back function).

juicedimpss
07-11-2012, 06:45 PM
the regular "dial" lights seem to work on everything i have used them on,the uber expensive digital light i have doesnt like msd digital 7 boxes at all.

Irish
07-11-2012, 06:55 PM
the regular "dial" lights seem to work on everything i have used them on,the uber expensive digital light i have doesnt like msd digital 7 boxes at all.

I love those digital timing lights! My dad has one that I pretty much own because I use it so often lol.

What issues are you having?

juicedimpss
07-11-2012, 07:01 PM
I love those digital timing lights! My dad has one that I pretty much own because I use it so often lol.

What issues are you having?
digital 7 boxes give too much interference to let it work at all.
wanna buy a timing light? its a nice snap on light,never use it anymore.

Irish
07-11-2012, 07:46 PM
digital 7 boxes give too much interference to let it work at all.
wanna buy a timing light? its a nice snap on light,never use it anymore.

Lol I am good! However, I am sure there are a few guys here that would snatch that up from you!