PDA

View Full Version : airplaine noise?

easytoremember
07-10-2012, 11:19 PM
So I live pretty close to Holtz Chevy. Been here about 5 years. Lately though, say in the last month, I've noticed a lot more airplanes than normal. I used to notice about maybe 1 a day, and it wasn't that loud or low.

Lately, I've noticed maybe one an hour, pretty loud and low compared to what I'm used to. Not that I'm complaining. I grew up a few miles from Midway in Chicago so I'm used to it.

Anyone else around here notice more planes?

Prince Valiant
07-10-2012, 11:40 PM
Working at Greendale HS, planes always fly by if making an approach to 7 (runway aligned w/ magnetic heading of 70 degrees roughly, drop the "0" and viola, Runway 7)...so I see air traffic pretty frequently while covering games/practices.

Is their more air traffic? Not sure...it's background noise to me, more or less...

But someone who lives there might notice better than me...so let's go with that.

Why would there be more traffic? Well, it could be since we've had a pretty consistent weather pattern, they are using runway 7 more frequently since winds might be coming out of the east more frequently.

OR it could be construction on the other runways. I know they've been working on extending 1/19 for a while...that might be it.

Yours is an area that they often fly planes out to, then turn them toward the correct heading for a long approach if using runway 7.

And sure shit, a quick check shows that they ARE working on on runways 1/19 until august...so planes must use either runway 7 or 25...the same runway, one with a heading of 70-ish degrees or from the opposite end, a runway with a heading of 250-ish degree magnetically.

http://bayviewcompass.com/archives/11246

easytoremember
07-11-2012, 04:11 PM
Thanks! Thats pretty much the info I was hoping someone would have. Seems these particular planes are landing. Lots of SWA planes i can see. I always remember flying home from out west they would almost follow 94 on in, turn around over the lake then land approaching from the nw. Could be a combo of weather pattern and construction it seems, thanks!

73MACH
07-11-2012, 04:25 PM
The main north/south runway is still closed so they are probably coming from that direction more to line up with the other runways..

JC70SS
07-11-2012, 04:49 PM
probably due to a lot of east winds. That is why the storms have been falling apart this summer. The planes land into the wind, now instead of coming in over lake Mich they are coming from west to east.

VroomPshhTsi
07-11-2012, 05:55 PM
It's Obama's fault.

BlackLightning
07-11-2012, 06:28 PM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-WT8i5lo63pw/T-xH-dawB5I/AAAAAAAAEEc/dPTQFTRPfOA/s1600/6bdaeb5c_tin-foil-hat_thumb.jpeg

juicedimpss
07-11-2012, 06:47 PM
It's Obama's fault.

awesome.

easytoremember
07-11-2012, 10:24 PM
I thought it was Chicago's fault

michelle
07-11-2012, 10:28 PM
Blame the teachers.

spooln30
07-11-2012, 11:01 PM
I live 2 blocks from Mitchell and Im loving the change. Well for now. They are now flying East-West only due to the North-South runway being fixed and made longer.

Prince Valiant
07-11-2012, 11:13 PM
Personally love it when a runway is closed for extended periods...because if a strong wind is out of the south or north now, I'll be able to go to the airport and watch some killer crosswind landings :)

CATNHAT
07-11-2012, 11:35 PM
Working at Greendale HS, planes always fly by if making an approach to 7 (runway aligned w/ magnetic heading of 70 degrees roughly, drop the "0" and viola, Runway 7)...so I see air traffic pretty frequently while covering games/practices.

Is their more air traffic? Not sure...it's background noise to me, more or less...

But someone who lives there might notice better than me...so let's go with that.

Why would there be more traffic? Well, it could be since we've had a pretty consistent weather pattern, they are using runway 7 more frequently since winds might be coming out of the east more frequently.

OR it could be construction on the other runways. I know they've been working on extending 1/19 for a while...that might be it.

Yours is an area that they often fly planes out to, then turn them toward the correct heading for a long approach if using runway 7.

And sure shit, a quick check shows that they ARE working on on runways 1/19 until august...so planes must use either runway 7 or 25...the same runway, one with a heading of 70-ish degrees or from the opposite end, a runway with a heading of 250-ish degree magnetically.

http://bayviewcompass.com/archives/11246

Cliff Clavin of BCM strikes again! This IS a great answer to an interesting question :thumbsup

Prince Valiant
07-11-2012, 11:44 PM
Cliff Clavin of BCM strikes again! This IS a great answer to an interesting question :thumbsup

yah...being a pilot has given me a little insight and qualifies me to answer a little more than my usual knowitallism :D :

http://i950.photobucket.com/albums/ad349/sweetroscoe/firstsolo.jpg

michelle
07-12-2012, 07:49 AM
I can just imagine the huge smile on Chris' face (and hear the laugh) as he typed that long response! :goof

-stew-
07-12-2012, 09:22 AM
yah...being a pilot has given me a little insight and qualifies me to answer a little more than my usual knowitallism :D :

When has being clueless about a topic ever stopped you from chiming in!?!?

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

Prince Valiant
07-12-2012, 10:01 AM
When has being clueless about a topic ever stopped you from chiming in!?!?
Everytime. Ever.