PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Veloster Turbo Matte gray factory paint.

BoosTT
07-09-2012, 10:58 AM
Pretty sure the wife is going to get one of these in matte gray for a new DD. Can anyone comment on having matte gray paint on a daily driver? Seams to be a lot of myths out there that it is near impossible to keep looking nice.

Any other comments on the veloster?

http://www.thecarconnection.com/news/1077094_2013-hyundai-veloster-turbo-goes-to-the-matte

animal
07-09-2012, 11:07 AM
...Any other comments...

One. Matte anything just looks like its been left unfinished. :puke

Don't hate, just telling you what people will think when they see you in it.

Prince Valiant
07-09-2012, 11:33 AM
The Veloster's also offering Hyundai's first matte paint finish, complete with an owner care kit, priced at $1,000--and paired with the suggestion that only those who like hand-washing their cars should take on the maintenance of keeping the street look scratch-free. Paying $1000 bucks for a finish that requires special instructions and a car care kit? Sadomasochistic-much?

I mean, here's the thing: The car itself strikes me as a neat little thing that'd be fun to drive. If you or your wife love doing the detail work to keep it clean, and love the matte finish enough that it's worth the significantly more money that it commands, hey, more power to you. If this is a car you see yourself keeping for 30 years, the matte finish I predict will be one of those little oddball options that sets the car apart and increases it's value...kind of like the old "mod-tops" were for mopars in the late 60's...

http://www.myrideisme.com/Blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/img_9290.jpg

though, mod-tops were oddities, they do enhance the desirability to a small group of buyers...I would think in that far-off-future scenario where, let's admit it, you likely WOULDN'T still own a veloster, the matte finish will have much higher values to any future potential collectors. So will it offer a good return on your investment when you do trade it in/sell it? Maybe a little...

To me it just seems like too much money for too much work. I'd go for a traditional finish and be happy with an odd looking, very quick and fuel efficient sporty little car.

BoosTT
07-09-2012, 11:33 AM
One. Matte anything just looks like its been left unfinished. :puke

Don't hate, just telling you what people will think when they see you in it.

Most times I agree, matte looks like primer. But, in this case it's the best color, IMO. The matte paint costs an extra $1k over all the other colors.

Flicktitty
07-09-2012, 11:48 AM
the color actually looks pretty neat. But on a daily driver in Wisconsin i don't think it's a wise decision. if it was on a "toy" or we lived in a better climate maybe.

WhatsADSM
07-09-2012, 12:34 PM
Yea the car is cool.

And I actually like the color in general.. However that color on that car with the added cost/potential maintenance I personally wouldn't do it.

If/When you buy the car though, post back up and let us know what your driving impressions are of the car!

Wagonbacker9
07-09-2012, 12:45 PM
A buddy of mine should have his turbo very soon. Put money down on it a couple weeks ago.

GTSLOW
07-09-2012, 12:50 PM
but on a daily driver in wisconsin i don't think it's a wise decision. If it was on a "toy" or we lived in a better climate maybe.

qft

PureSound15
07-09-2012, 02:17 PM
I'd have it wrapped - Automotive Integration solutions does this in Waukesha and the owner just wrapped his Mercedes in a flat grey.

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/579948_3741092058854_1458113782_n.jpg

wikked
07-09-2012, 04:29 PM
We just went over this at work.

- There is a user manual that comes with the matte cars, that is specifically for paint care.
- You will have to sign a waiver stating what you will/will not do with this car, including no auto car wash, and never driving it in winter.
- There is ZERO warranty on the paint (besides faults that may show up down the road unrelated to the matte finish).
- There aren't too many tire shine products that don't sling, Mothers FX, Tuf Shine, Meguiars Endurance Gel maybe.

Otherwise, enjoy :)

WhatsADSM
07-09-2012, 04:50 PM
This is the matte paint care manual FWIW:
http://www.hyundaiusa.com/pdf/Matte_Paint_Care.pdf

Yooformula
07-09-2012, 05:42 PM
I like the fact that they recommend using a grit guard for the wash. swissvax and chemical guy's for the wax/sealant products. The biggest issue with this kind of paint though is that when used as a daily driver, tree sap, pollen and BUGS will make it a pain in the ass to keep up on especially since you cant just run it through a car wash for a quick clean.

Prince Valiant
07-09-2012, 05:45 PM
Now, what is it about the matte finish that keeps it from being used in a touchless wash? Seems to me that would be the ideal way to go about cleaning it...at least for minor cleaning.

BoosTT
07-09-2012, 06:05 PM
Now, what is it about the matte finish that keeps it from being used in a touchless wash? Seems to me that would be the ideal way to go about cleaning it...at least for minor cleaning.

There may be wax left over in the jets from previous car washes and they likely use a soap that has an small amout of wax in it too. Any wax or product to increase the shine would leave shinny spots.

BoosTT
07-09-2012, 06:09 PM
We just went over this at work.

- There is a user manual that comes with the matte cars, that is specifically for paint care.
- You will have to sign a waiver stating what you will/will not do with this car, including no auto car wash, and never driving it in winter.
- There is ZERO warranty on the paint (besides faults that may show up down the road unrelated to the matte finish).
- There aren't too many tire shine products that don't sling, Mothers FX, Tuf Shine, Meguiars Endurance Gel maybe.

Otherwise, enjoy :)
I don't see winter limitations in the waver. Do you know if this is due to salt?

My wife doesen't wash her car and its never been waxed (current car gets washed once every 18 months). I guess I don't see what all the caution is about. So, just need to hand wash it and use a different soap?

BigSnailBuick
07-09-2012, 08:14 PM
I'd have it wrapped - Automotive Integration solutions does this in Waukesha and the owner just wrapped his Mercedes in a flat grey.

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/579948_3741092058854_1458113782_n.jpg

I asked them 3 times how much It would be to wrap the front of my car in carbon. I got well how much will someone else do it for.....then ill call you...then I even had them look at the car and explained it to them...still no call. Unless your some rich ass who needs your cigarette lighter rewired in a saleen s7 you might as well go somewhere else. Guys were nice..but just acted like I wasnt a worthy customer...Guess I forgot to mention the entire car I wanted wrapped at a later date..ohh well.

PureSound15
07-10-2012, 10:00 PM
^ I won't shit in his thread, but I'm certainly willing to create a new one to highlight the stupidity of your post (which I suggest editing).

:)

BigSnailBuick
07-10-2012, 11:25 PM
^ I won't shit in his thread, but I'm certainly willing to create a new one to highlight the stupidity of your post (which I suggest editing).

:)

Ok In 7 years on this board I have never bothered causing drama...or joining in on it. But here I simply have no problem with it. Make me look "like a fool" as stated in your Pm to me. Who are you by the way? I dont bother getting to actually know who most are on this site.

Im going to assume you work there.

First let me start by saying I clearly stated the people I met one day were cool guys.(That is not the point of this thread) But I would like to know what in my post was bullshit. Cause I dont bullshit. The first time I ever walked over there I mentioned I asked another place about it and I got, "Well for how much" as a response and never given a price since I couldn't really show what I wanted done. I then a week later called and mentioned what I wanted done to another person and was told Id get a call back. NO CALL. I then was over at Artistimos and brought my car there...cool dude came over and looked at it and said he would let me know...NO CALL. But please by all means tell me where your going to make me look like a fool.

Im not some punk ass kid and by no means going to argue about this online Im at Tonys and Jasons everday...by all means stop by and let me know how much of a dick I am for stating my encounter with the shop. The fact was NO one ever bothered to give me a call which was basically poor POTENTIAL customer service and would have made any other person feel insignificant. Was it my wise crack about the cig lighter in a saleen s7? Cause that was FUNNY! But to go on further the only reason I even bothered was cause my paint is chipped and my old man wants his entire Porsche wrapped in carbon...well the parts that are not actual carbon. So we figured if my front looked good on my wrx it would be game, set, match on the decision of where to go. Wasnt even my idea.. I give less of a damn about my chipped paint on a daily driver.

The fact is I never received a call once after being told at least twice FOR SURE id get a call back. So what....I should just not mention that to someone inquiring about it on a site with people I have shared my opinions with for 7 years? I dont care if your the owner, friend, or guy I spoke to. The shop made my piddly job feel insignificant and didnt even bother saying not worth it for us to do. I would have been content with a, "Dude we only do exotics and high dollar jobs sorry." That would have been much better than just being shrugged off. But by all means shit on my post.

EDIT: If your a friend...I can understand your post. Id do the same thing for my friends shops but dont sit and call me a bullshitter. That is WORD 4 WORD my encounter with the shop. And if there is a problem with my words than maybe I should have got a call back. I must have been that 1 unlucky guy that had a bad experience right?

Yooformula
07-10-2012, 11:33 PM
Gotta agree with BigSnail on this one. Too many places treat the smaller clients like shit because they think the work is beneath their price grade. From what he posted, he has every right to post up his experience if it prevents someone else from getting treated like crap.

PureSound15
07-10-2012, 11:45 PM
First - I understand the frustration in not getting a call back. I couldn't get any of our sponsors to call me back to get simple work done. That aside...

You were told it couldn't be wrapped, right? Damaged panels can't be wrapped.

You also wanted them to drive a customers car to race against yours, right?

Should I continue?

I wouldn't call you back either. Seems like a waste of time. So, nobody gave you a price for the work that you wanted because it isn't a realistic request. Nobody calls Yoosof and asks him to turn their red car into a blue one.

BigSnailBuick
07-11-2012, 12:10 AM
No No NO....see this is where people get misled on the internet. And that is total BS fyi..we can stop the fabrication.. (stops writing you nice pm cause this post was absurd.)

Not once was I told it couldnt be wrapped..the paint flaking off was on the one small part separate from the front. He didnt mention that part couldnt be done...and took down my number.

Second wtf is this about racing their cars....I walked up and as I joke said lets line em up and immediately laughed and started talking about the car and admiring its carbon. You would have to be completely retarded and have ZERO joke comprehension to take that line out of context. WTF would I want to race a car with 1000hp that was built for a track in a wrx ROFL. Give me a break.

That fail line just says my previous post wins and you have no ammo to my cut and dry I got no call back post about this shop.

Shop does million dollar high end jobs and your getting all stunk up about my post...give me a break. Get over it.

But both those lines were complete bullshit....

First - I understand the frustration in not getting a call back. I couldn't get any of our sponsors to call me back to get simple work done. That aside...

You were told it couldn't be wrapped, right? Damaged panels can't be wrapped.

You also wanted them to drive a customers car to race against yours, right?

Should I continue?

I wouldn't call you back either. Seems like a waste of time. So, nobody gave you a price for the work that you wanted because it isn't a realistic request. Nobody calls Yoosof and asks him to turn their red car into a blue one.

PureSound15
07-11-2012, 12:22 AM
My issue isn't that you're upset that they didn't call you back... if that were the true problem.

What I don't think is far, regardless of the place, is to insult a shop that does some pretty damn cool stuff after you were told why it couldn't be done (or, rather, couldn't be done "right").

1320PNY
07-11-2012, 12:34 AM

The clear coat absorbs light. Scratches from auto washes cannot be buffed out because it returns a gloss to the clear coat where it was buffed. Look on YouTube for the latest /drive clean video about BMW frozen paint.

BigSnailBuick
07-11-2012, 12:38 AM
Now I went from being a "waste of time" to the real...you insulted my shop and I dont like having it insulted. The truth and reason you just fabricated some ridiculous race a customers car tale. The lower front was completely undamaged and for sure was a piece that could have been done. My number was taken down.

Whatever this is fuckin silly...Op is asking about paint on daily driver for his wife and I made some crack about a cig lighter in a saleen S7.

I never got a call back and was never told it wasnt possible....or the number exchange would have been a bit silly. I honestly didnt even give a shit..the fact was a guy is inquiring about painting a daily driver and a shop was recommended that does exotics and blew me off 3 times. If this bothers you....handle business better.

Second possiblity- Your employees or friends totally bullshit what was said and happened. Im 100% your not the guy I dealt with and gave my number to, cause finding people that can so easily fabricate and Lie about how a situation went down when they were a part of it to the other person directly is hard to find. Therefore I'm assuming you had to "ask" someone what happened.

I'm done responding about this...it happened. Sorry to clog up your thread OP.

My issue isn't that you're upset that they didn't call you back... if that were the true problem.

What I don't think is far, regardless of the place, is to insult a shop that does some pretty damn cool stuff after you were told why it couldn't be done (or, rather, couldn't be done "right").

1320PNY
07-11-2012, 12:45 AM
Buy the thing for your wife and give Yoosef the car once a year. That's how I handle my wife's DD.

PureSound15
07-11-2012, 08:32 AM
I still think the best option for a flat paint job is a wrap - kind of a double whammy if you'd like to have a flat paint job since you'll potentially avoid some nicks or scratches in the factory paint.

I think it might be harder to sell a car with flat paint (given that its a recent phase). Might be better to have it wrapped and have the ability to un-wrap it later to a more "typical" paint job.

Snail - I don't work there. They have a large list of clients from mini-vans to exotics.

fly5150
07-11-2012, 07:44 PM
My only concern with a wrap is that the film will only hold color for a few years, plus stone chips and damage is Very apparent in a vinyl wrap. I am torn on which way to go with my truck, I was set on doing a matte black wrap (mostly cause i'm in the business and can get the material for free) but i have done lots of reading and a matte clear seams to be a more lasting application. Thoughts?

Slow Joe
07-12-2012, 10:37 AM
Even though I think the Matte finish would be pretty cool. I probably wouldn't do it because of the possible impact to it's future value. I always weigh the pros and cons when I'm buying a car of what I'm paying compared to what it'll be worth in a few years. Then again, being in the car business if I didn't do that I'd suck at what I do... :rolf

BR3W CITY
07-12-2012, 10:38 AM
In about a week I'm painting my truck, and we will be using satin clear. Its a regular multi stage paint job, epoxy/2k/seal/color/clear, but the clear just has a sort of flattening agent.
I used the Paint Shop stuff in satin clear as well, and did it over some regular rattle can for trim pieces, worked REALLY well all things considered.

PureSound15
07-12-2012, 01:49 PM
I can't speak to the durability of clear (I.e. matte) finish vs a texture or color but I suppose it would make sense being that clear was used for clear bra for a longer time period thus far - and technology improvements would follow.

I do know that there is quite a bit of difference between the manufacturing companies, though, in terms of stretching and durability.