PDA

View Full Version : Going rate for mount/balance?

Wagonbacker9
07-05-2012, 01:29 PM
I was just quoted $49 for mount and balance of a pair of 17s, with $6 of that going to new stems. Now, granted, I'm spoiled because when I went to F&F tire in brookfield I was on a first name basis, due to being there probably 6-8 times last year.. but thats a bit of a drive now, so I just went to the place around the corner. Is it just me or is $20 a wheel plus stems (plus tax) a little steep?

Definitely going to ask him to cut me a deal, given the fact that I have a total of 5 sets of wheels under my roof..

Cryptic
07-05-2012, 01:58 PM
Mr P's on HWY100 smoked me for more and I had bare rims and they were already already cleaned .
I think it was 69 bucks?!!!

I'm never going there again. It's always a crap shoot what I get charged by them. No posted prices either.

Wagonbacker9
07-05-2012, 02:00 PM
Mr P's on HWY100 smoked me for more and I had bare rims and they were already already cleaned .
I think it was 69 bucks?!!!

I'm never going there again. It's always a crap shoot what I get charged by them. No posted prices either.

Yeah, these were loose as well, nothing on em either.

I had a set of 285/75/16s mounted and balanced WITH disposal of 4 tires and stems for $80 last year... I thought that was reasonable.

badass88gt
07-05-2012, 02:02 PM
I just paid $36 to have 2 tires unmounted, new ones remounted and balanced and one tire disposed of, plus I see they put in new screw-in stems. This was at Auto Select up here but that's what I paid. Most places were a couple bucks more, around $38-$40.

Irish
07-05-2012, 03:20 PM
I only paid $60 for mounting and road force balancing. This was for 4 17" wheels.

TransAm12sec
07-05-2012, 04:33 PM
$21.50 per wheel isn't unheard of. Tires plus charged around $25 per tire two winters ago(215/60?/15), not including a tire disposal fee or valve stem charge. I was in a crunch needing the snow tires on for an interview the next day so I paid it. A 285/75/16 is pretty easy to mount compared to thin sidewalls that are common these days.

Where did you go Irish?

Wagonbacker9
07-05-2012, 04:47 PM
$A 285/75/16 is pretty easy to mount compared to thin sidewalls that are common these days.

I agree, but using your own statement against you... lower profile tires ARE common. Any tire changer worth his salt should be able to handle them just as easily as a tech 10 years ago could handle your 215/60/15s, because now you see just as many 215/40/17s as you saw of the 15s then. If you know what you're doing, then it doesn't take any more time. If it doesn't take more time, it shouldn't cost more money.

Irish
07-05-2012, 05:27 PM
$21.50 per wheel isn't unheard of. Tires plus charged around $25 per tire two winters ago(215/60?/15), not including a tire disposal fee or valve stem charge. I was in a crunch needing the snow tires on for an interview the next day so I paid it. A 285/75/16 is pretty easy to mount compared to thin sidewalls that are common these days.

Where did you go Irish?

Heh, that's the catch... I was near Beloit and stopped at Jack's tires off of 251.

If I was to go anywhere local, I'd go to LMT. They hooked it up and it was very, very reasonable!!

lilws6
07-05-2012, 07:20 PM
$50 sound about right for bare wheels and new tires. I could be wrong i don't know what we charge. But i'll be the first to tell you i love mounting lower profile tires i find it easy but i weigh in a bit heavy :)

BR3W CITY
07-05-2012, 07:34 PM
I paid $25 per wheel, to have them taken off the car, stripped, and my other tires put on and balanced. This was at the 76th st Mr. P's. I've always had good luck with most of their locations. I tried to go to Goodyear and they wanted MORE, then told me they wouldn't mount the tires I had, because they weren't listed as an optional size for the vehicle.

Wagonbacker9
07-05-2012, 07:36 PM
I paid $25 per wheel, to have them taken off the car, stripped, and my other tires put on and balanced. This was at the 76th st Mr. P's. I've always had good luck with most of their locations. I tried to go to Goodyear and they wanted MORE, then told me they wouldn't mount the tires I had, because they weren't listed as an optional size for the vehicle.

Ugh. Some liability argument I'm sure. Thats one reason I rarely bring the vehicle to the tire shop. If you ask F&F tire I have/had a 1993 Rx7, because when I brought the FD wheels in I didn't want to hear about how 245 wide tires wouldn't fit under a car spec'd for 195s. LOL

http://i921.photobucket.com/albums/ad51/Wagonbacker9/MSP/HDRPlay2.jpg

Rocket Power
07-05-2012, 08:10 PM
I tried to go to Goodyear and they wanted MORE, then told me they wouldn't mount the tires I had, because they weren't listed as an optional size for the vehicle.

I tried to get one mounted at the Firestone on Miller Park Way and they wouldn't do it because it wasn't brandnew with the sticker on it. Not having the sticker on it was the only real difference from new. If it had ever been used it didn't look like it.

Wagonbacker9
07-05-2012, 08:14 PM
I tried to get one mounted at the Firestone on Miller Park Way and they wouldn't do it because it wasn't brandnew with the sticker on it. Not having the sticker on it was the only real difference from new. If it had ever been used it didn't look like it.

That doesn't even make sense. I got F&F to mount a set of drag radials for me that were WELL past the wear bars. I'm sure they know they shouldn't have, but I told them I wouldn't street them, and would sign whatever release they wanted. Theres NO legal stance for not mounting a tire thats perfectly legal to operate.. thats just WIERD.

wrath
07-06-2012, 07:03 AM
Sadly, I find going to Walmart to get tires mounted to be a more rewarding experience. The one in the Falls wouldn't fix a hole that was close to the sidewall but dismounted it for FREE, I fixed it in the back of my truck in the parking lot using a Tech nipple patch, then they mounted and balanced it for $9. I gave the guy a $10 "tip" for helping me out.

Not all Wally Worlds are created equal though. The ones that work at the one in Owosso, MI are not very good at their "profession".

WickedSix
07-06-2012, 07:45 AM
I agree, but using your own statement against you... lower profile tires ARE common. Any tire changer worth his salt should be able to handle them just as easily as a tech 10 years ago could handle your 215/60/15s, because now you see just as many 215/40/17s as you saw of the 15s then. If you know what you're doing, then it doesn't take any more time. If it doesn't take more time, it shouldn't cost more money.

the tech/equipment involved to mount the lower profile tires on larger rims dictates increased prices..... I could change 15" 50 series and greater all day long on an old centerpost..... can't use that same machine to safely do the 40 series tires on a 17" rim.... $25 from a reputable shop seems fair.... I've had the best experiences with Pomp's in new berlin, but in a pinch I too have used wally world in the falls.

BoosTT
07-06-2012, 02:03 PM
F for fvck F&F on Hwy 100/National. Screw that place. They even offered to mount and balance a set of 18" replacement tires I bought from tirerack.com for free, but I told them they "F&F'ed" up enough already and I paid ~$80 to have farm and fleet do a better job. The manager was the worst, the other employees seams to be ok, but did not have permission to do anything. I wish I could remember that dipshit managers name. Online reviews all say the same thing.

wikked
07-06-2012, 11:26 PM
4 wheels taken off car - umounted - new tires mounted/balanced - new valve stems - wheels put back on car - tires disposed of.

$30 :D
Perks of working at a dealership.

lilws6
07-08-2012, 06:07 PM
F for fvck F&F on Hwy 100/National. Screw that place. They even offered to mount and balance a set of 18" replacement tires I bought from tirerack.com for free, but I told them they "F&F'ed" up enough already and I paid ~$80 to have farm and fleet do a better job. The manager was the worst, the other employees seams to be ok, but did not have permission to do anything. I wish I could remember that dipshit managers name. Online reviews all say the same thing.

About how long ago i could probably find out who it was lol We do have some complete r tards that work for FandF in general. the manager we had just a week ago was completely useless. Didn't care about the employees and sure didn't care about taking care of the customer just how much money he could push thru the door.

Car Guy
07-08-2012, 06:36 PM
I only paid $60 for mounting and road force balancing. This was for 4 17" wheels.

Where was this?

That seems too cheap for mounting and road force balancing 4 tires.

bikedad
07-08-2012, 07:19 PM
I went to Goodyear on Sunset Av in Waukesha. Next Door to Fox view bowling.
$16 to mount and balance my 275 Nitto 555 tires on 10.5" Cobra Rims.
Due to the slight stretch needed they used a special air blaster device to seat the beads. (no extra charge). I brought the used tires and new rims to them. I did not purchase the tires or rims from them.
They did a great job. They asked me to leave a complimentary road signature when I left. LOL
The marks are still there.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

BigSnailBuick
07-08-2012, 07:44 PM
Forest Tire. /endthread

Always polite...always have the oddball stuff I need....always reasonably priced

BoosTT
07-09-2012, 07:54 AM
About how long ago i could probably find out who it was lol We do have some complete r tards that work for FandF in general. the manager we had just a week ago was completely useless. Didn't care about the employees and sure didn't care about taking care of the customer just how much money he could push thru the door.

I think it was around 2008. He was still the manager in early 2011 (and maybe still is?). Never called me when my special order tires came in. Was sworn at over the phone and hung up on several times when I decided to buy rims elsewhere. His rim selection sucked. I'm not going to pay $2000 when I can get something similar for $500 elsewhere. The bullet holes in the waiting room windows are classy too.

animal
07-09-2012, 07:56 AM
Forest Tire. /endthread

Always polite...always have the oddball stuff I need....always reasonably priced

:rolf

The time they quoted me $75 per tire to mount and balance something I didn't buy from them was the last time I will ever call there. It doesn't matter how polite you put "$300 to mount and balance your tires". Its insulting. If you refuse to do it just say it.

/reopenthread

I take all my junk to walmart, just the wheels and tires to be swapped. Last time it cost me $44 for 4 rims and tires dismount, mount, balance.

They are very careful there in my experience. He even came out and explained they couldn't balance them because he was out of stick on weights. I told him to put on the hammer-on lip weights because thats what I always use. So he used those and balanced no problem.

The only other place I ever went was to wb dyno because walmart was booked solid. They did a good job but were a little overpriced in comparison.

lilws6
07-09-2012, 07:18 PM
Kind of sounds like Dave on a bad day but i don't know off hand if he was manager i assume he was in 2011. You are correct from where we can order from our rim selection blows. Currently from what i hear we are looking to get anouther company involved that we can order from. the catalog i looked at looked pretty sweet. Yea this store is due for some upgrades and by upgrades i mean rebuilt lol. Its def. not the best store ive worked at. but we do have a good alignment rack :goof

BigSnailBuick
07-09-2012, 08:09 PM
:rolf

The time they quoted me $75 per tire to mount and balance something I didn't buy from them was the last time I will ever call there. It doesn't matter how polite you put "$300 to mount and balance your tires". Its insulting. If you refuse to do it just say it.

/reopenthread

I take all my junk to walmart, just the wheels and tires to be swapped. Last time it cost me $44 for 4 rims and tires dismount, mount, balance.

They are very careful there in my experience. He even came out and explained they couldn't balance them because he was out of stick on weights. I told him to put on the hammer-on lip weights because thats what I always use. So he used those and balanced no problem.

The only other place I ever went was to wb dyno because walmart was booked solid. They did a good job but were a little overpriced in comparison.

$75 per tire??? What? Are we talking about the same place lol I got all 4 tires mounted and balanced for under $100 in fact I think it was even less than that.

Only other place I have used is the Firestone right on Moorland in Waukesha. They did a good job on my Buicks rims/tires. Called me multiple times to make sure they were doing it how I wanted them.

lilws6
07-09-2012, 09:05 PM
oh yea by the way to help the op i just mounted a customer suplied tire today for $20 remove the old tire mount and balance and return old tire to customer no disposal