PDA

View Full Version : Google is anti-gun.

-stew-
07-02-2012, 06:02 PM
http://www.nraila.org/news-issues/articles/2012/google-adopts-anti-gun-policy.aspx

Discuss.

Nickerz
07-02-2012, 06:29 PM
Probably sensationalist bullshit. I don't see any quote in there from Google yet they are saying its a "calculated political statement." Its much more likely Google has been challenged on several legal venues on whether or not its legal to advertise those items and they are probably not interested in being versed on over 50 variations of the laws of conducting business on guns since they're not in the gun business. Its the same reason you typically see alcohol, firearms, fireworks, nazi paraphernalia and head shop type items excluded from many shopping engines and eBay and the like. There are simply too many interstate advertising and transportation laws to run afoul of.

I don't blame them honestly.

HITMAN
07-03-2012, 12:02 AM
Google is anti-gun.

So is Tom Barrett. But I'll bet you voted for him. As far as I'm concerned, you have zero credibility on the subject of firearms ownership, Recall Boy.

-stew-
07-03-2012, 07:22 AM
So is Tom Barrett. But I'll bet you voted for him. As far as I'm concerned, you have zero credibility on the subject of firearms ownership, Recall Boy.

This statement is so full of stupidity, I don't even know where to begin. And since that is on par with most statements you make, I'm gonna say you have zero credibility on any topic.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

animal
07-03-2012, 07:44 AM
:popcorn

pOrk
07-03-2012, 02:41 PM
lols

fivonut
07-03-2012, 06:27 PM
Probably sensationalist bullshit. I don't see any quote in there from Google yet they are saying its a "calculated political statement." Its much more likely Google has been challenged on several legal venues on whether or not its legal to advertise those items and they are probably not interested in being versed on over 50 variations of the laws of conducting business on guns since they're not in the gun business. Its the same reason you typically see alcohol, firearms, fireworks, nazi paraphernalia and head shop type items excluded from many shopping engines and eBay and the like. There are simply too many interstate advertising and transportation laws to run afoul of.

There are a lot of behind the scenes policies that most people don't know about when it comes to online gun sales. For instance, it's VERY difficult if not almost impossible to find a merchant provider that will take on gun dealers who plan to accept credit cards for online sales. The knee jerk reaction is to say, WTF you can't sell person to person over the internet anyway. That's exactly the problem. If someone purchased a firearms online and paid by CC they could initiate a charge back. Part of the process of fighting a charge back is showing that you shipped the item to the customers address. Well, it didn't get shipped to the customers address it got shipped to their dealer. It sudden;y becomes VERY difficult to fight a charge back and many time the seller loses. So CC companies just say no, the risk is too high.

I've been trying to find something that links Google's decision to a similar situation. I could understand if it had something to do with Google Checkout. However, it doesn't because not all companies that would show under a shopping search would be using Google Checkout. I can't find anything that would point to a risk factor having to do with this policy.

At least for now, it looks like Google is only doing this to take an anti-gun stance.

HITMAN
07-04-2012, 12:15 PM
This statement is so full of stupidity, I don't even know where to begin. And since that is on par with most statements you make, I'm gonna say you have zero credibility on any topic.

The statement was fine but apperantly beyond your meager ability to understand the irony of the situation. I'd put it in to terms more easily understood by you, but it's a holiday and I have shit to do, so I'm not going to bother to haul out the English to Imbecile translator just so you can get a better grip on the finer points of sarcasm and the language in general.

GTSLOW
07-04-2012, 07:50 PM
:rolf this thread has potential

nismodave
07-04-2012, 08:03 PM
Agreed.^

Nickerz
07-26-2012, 08:42 PM
The statement was fine but apperantly beyond your meager ability to understand the irony of the situation. I'd put it in to terms more easily understood by you, but it's a holiday and I have shit to do, so I'm not going to bother to haul out the English to Imbecile translator just so you can get a better grip on the finer points of sarcasm and the language in general.

"a simple no would have been ok" -Billy Madison

-stew-
07-27-2012, 04:14 PM

You can buy gun parts on ebay.

:popcorn

smokin'red35th
07-27-2012, 08:54 PM
From Google:

What's the policy?

Google AdWords doesn't allow the promotion of weapons or devices designed to cause serious harm or injury. The promotion of weapons includes guns, gun parts or hardware, ammunition, bombs, knives, throwing stars, and brass knuckles.

We've created this policy to comply with legal regulations

http://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=176077

-stew-
12-12-2012, 04:40 PM
Aaannnndddd now you can no longer image search unfiltered. Time to start using bing.

-stew-
12-12-2012, 04:45 PM
http://thenextweb.com/google/2012/12/12/google-changes-search-image-safesearch-explicit/

Korndogg
12-12-2012, 04:59 PM
You can still search for the same stuff, you just need to be more specific.

Reverend Cooper
12-12-2012, 09:26 PM
Once again I hate to say it,but you are correct.

brotherbenn83
12-13-2012, 07:59 AM
http://thenextweb.com/google/2012/12/12/google-changes-search-image-safesearch-explicit/

If you need to use Google to find boobs, then you suck at the internet.

kevcuda
12-13-2012, 11:09 AM
Someone, some group, Somewhere at some time will always be anti gun. I just wonder how anti gun they would be if one is pointed at them.

-stew-
12-13-2012, 01:59 PM
Once again I hate to say it,but you are correct.

Well I apologize if my views of the governor make me an unsuitable gun owner in the eyes of you two. I'll stop by the police station and turn over all my guns tonight.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2