PDA

View Full Version : Wierdest swap I've ever seen

Rocket Power
09-12-2004, 07:39 PM
I was at the Solid Gold/DARE show today and saw an 87 Cutlass with a twin turbo efi mopar motor in it. Took some film pics, gotta get them developed.
Now that's daring to be different. :goof

I also saw a tubbed dart swinger (73-4 I am guessing) on Hwy 100 while I was getting something to eat.

Prince Valiant
09-12-2004, 08:51 PM
I was at the Solid Gold/DARE show today and saw an 87 Cutlass with a twin turbo efi mopar motor in it. Took some film pics, gotta get them developed.
Now that's daring to be different. :goof

I also saw a tubbed dart swinger (73-4 I am guessing) on Hwy 100 while I was getting something to eat. Yep....I believe it's still the highest Hp car dyno'ed at bourchardt's yet...900 or 1000+ IIRC.

Best kind of Olds you could hope for...a mopar powered one :goof

Rocket Power
09-12-2004, 10:11 PM
What size engine is that? Obviously I know NOTHING about mopar engines, for all I know it could be anywhere from a 318 to a 440. :goof

Prince Valiant
09-12-2004, 10:50 PM
What size engine is that? Obviously I know NOTHING about mopar engines, for all I know it could be anywhere from a 318 to a 440. :goofMike told me it was a 440....

quick Mopar engine guide:
distributer in back and spark plugs angled upwards=smallblock (273/318/340/360)
Distributer in back and sparkplugs in the valvecovers= 50's hemi's from either desoto, dodge, or chysler (all different ranging from 241-392)
Distributer in back, large wide valve covers w/o sparkplugs= Old polysphere headed mopars...we call them large blocks relative to the smallblocks but they had displacement from 277/303/318ci. Used a canted valve arrangement.
Distributer in front, facing opposite of the buick/caddy/AMC ilk would be a larger block. Higher deck, wider motor equals RB (413/426 wedge/440) and lower, narrower ones are B series (350/361/383/400)
Distributer in front with big, wide valve covers with spark plugs in them = 426 hemi.

Syclone0044
09-12-2004, 11:53 PM
I heard that the highest HP seen on Borchardt's dyno was Kilpatrick's Hemi drag car and when I attended the Dyno Day for Midwest Mustang Association, one of the employees confirmed it. It was 800 something and close to, but not quite 900. They said the motor blew before he could try a pull spraying the nitrous.

PB86MCSS
09-13-2004, 12:25 AM
Sounds like one funky Cutlass! I'd like to see it....does the guy drive it around much or bring it to many shows? What does it look like, curious if I've noticed it before or in the future, maybe I'll get him to pull over and check er' out :).

jbiscuit
09-13-2004, 01:20 PM
FYI - Pig Pen and I talked to this Cutlass owner yesterday at the Solid Gold Show. Its a Mopar 400 with the twins running 11psi on pump gas. Though he said that was just to get the car there. Though when he left I could smell race gas but maybe not. Its a cool car and seems to run really tame too. He fired it up, let it warm up a tad and pulled right out of the lot like no big deal. Very cool.

I would have to say that the wierdest swap I saw was the chopped gold hot rod with the Hemi. Thats pretty nuts if you ask me. The kid that owned it was about 22 years old and he did EVERYTHING on the car himself including the chopping/channeling and piecing together the motor. Work in progress but pretty cool though

Prince Valiant
09-13-2004, 07:24 PM
I heard that the highest HP seen on Borchardt's dyno was Kilpatrick's Hemi drag car and when I attended the Dyno Day for Midwest Mustang Association, one of the employees confirmed it. It was 800 something and close to, but not quite 900. They said the motor blew before he could try a pull spraying the nitrous. Kilpatrick's drag car would be quite a bit more than that....and he doesn't run nitrous on it either, just the blower.

Might have been refering to the Cornet R/T that does run nitrous. A a few years ago it dyno'd at 780-790 range....

Syclone0044
09-13-2004, 08:01 PM
My memory is failing me, I can only say the car the Borchardt employee said it was, was an old Dodge product from the late 60s or early 70s, with a big block Hemi, and it had nitrous that they didnt get to use because the motor blew, and it was close to 900 but did not reach it.

Prince Valiant
09-13-2004, 09:32 PM
If memory serves correctly his drag car puts out ~2000hp...takes alot to get the low 7's as he does.

His Cornet R/T convertable (it's a 67 model year) traps in the low 130's, but I don't know if that's on the nitrous or not. It's an indy max block with displacing 572ci....and that's all the detials on the motor I've been able to find. Don't know if you ask him personally if he'd tell more, but he was featured in a mag not too long ago. Like I said, don't know what it runs with the NOS exactly or without.