PDA

View Full Version : Staple Gun... How much better is Air power over Electric?

BoosTT
06-19-2012, 01:21 PM
I'm installing an seat cover for a PWC. I need to drive 1/4" staples into thick plastic. I have a good electric staple gun ($50+, rated to drive 9/16" staples), but I'm missing a part for it. The part is cheap but a pain in the ass to obtain. I'm thinking of upgrading to an northern tool air powered staple gun for $38 rather then fix the electric staple gun I already have.

Has anyone used a quality electric staple gun and had good results? Air power is usually recommended. I don't think the "long nose" is needed much for my application.

???

BR3W CITY
06-19-2012, 01:45 PM
Nail guns I'd say pnuematic or powder (for anchors), but for something like staples I've never had an issue with manual guns, although they are tough on the fingers/wrists.

EDIT; I used an HF electric unit yesterday and it worked well, just seems more limited on what it can use (stable size, brads etc)

Haulin' Oates
06-20-2012, 09:28 AM
I absolutely love my air stapler. I think its a surebonder and it was pretty dang cheap at menards if memory serves.

BoosTT
06-20-2012, 02:36 PM
I absolutely love my air stapler. I think its a surebonder and it was pretty dang cheap at menards if memory serves.

I pick up a surebonder (sp?) from Northern tool yesterday for $37. It got very good reviews. Hopefully I can try it out in the next few days. I may return it, depending on how well it works.

Haulin' Oates
06-21-2012, 10:03 AM
Cool, you will really like using it. I use it to shoot 1/4" staples for doing upholstery work too. It does a much more consistent job of sinking the staples in than I could with my staplegun. I also find myself using 2x more staples LOL.

Evan

BoosTT
06-21-2012, 12:07 PM
Cool, you will really like using it. I use it to shoot 1/4" staples for doing upholstery work too. It does a much more consistent job of sinking the staples in than I could with my staplegun. I also find myself using 2x more staples LOL.

Evan

The air powered staple gun was much better. Now I just need a new air compressor. Mines got a pin hole and I also busted an air hose last night!

I'll be keeping the air stapler.

BR3W CITY
06-21-2012, 02:26 PM
http://www.blu-raystats.com/NewsLog/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/office-space.jpg

I believe you have my stapler.