PDA

View Full Version : Im no Mopar guy thats for sure..

Russ Jerome
06-17-2012, 10:18 PM
So I have owned several but Im not ever gonna understand the limited adventurous(s) nature.

When I put a MPFI 5.2 Magnum in my old carbed truck I had to go it myself, mopar guys will use lag bolts to affix a carb on a Magnum motor before daring to wire a complete ECM and fuel system to an old Mopar. Hindsight it was silly easy but you learn to notch the 727 for a crank pickup, little wiring trickery in cab to make it all work. Still get e-mails from guys saying "wow man thats amazing".

So fast forward to today and Im gonna swap a newer cab on my old carbed truck running mpfi with a TB equiped cab. Do you think anybody out there has ever taken a TB equiped Mopar chassis and done a MPFI conversion.....no. The most remedial swaps common in Chevy's and Fords for TB or Carb to MPFI are so well documented complete pinouts are everywhere but Dodge guys just dont do it or call Painless to order a harness??? I dont get it, apears to be a few wire swap at bulkhead but cant find anything on a little sight called Google. Just seams odd you can pull a 6.0 LS harness online and do a home made swap to your 1973 CJ5 but simple fuel upgrades between a same make vehicle are non existant?

Prince Valiant
06-17-2012, 10:46 PM
So fast forward to today and Im gonna swap a newer cab on my old carbed truck running mpfi with a TB equiped cab. Do you think anybody out there has ever taken a TB equiped Mopar chassis and done a MPFI conversion.....no. The most remedial swaps common in Chevy's and Fords for TB or Carb to MPFI are so well documented complete pinouts are everywhere but Dodge guys just dont do it or call Painless to order a harness??? I dont get it, apears to be a few wire swap at bulkhead but cant find anything on a little sight called Google. Just seams odd you can pull a 6.0 LS harness online and do a home made swap to your 1973 CJ5 but simple fuel upgrades between a same make vehicle are non existant?Color me completely unsurprised that you can't find if anyone has done such a conversion...I mean, have you ever seen how basic the moparts.com forums are? Every other question is still "How do I upload pictures?" and most classifieds are "Call me...I don't do emails" :)

BUT, I would be surprised if NO ONE has done a magnum swap into a TB truck...not that I can recall specifically seeing one though. One of the NUMEROUS problems on moparts is that their search engine sucks beyond belief...it can't find anything. So there would be no surprise that google sifting through also finds nothing either.

What I would do would be ask around...there are some guys, perhaps NOT in the truck section, but say AndyF (screen name), Dulcich, Feets, and a few others who I'm sure know of someone who has performed such a swap somewhere on the internets.

edit:Rick Ehrenberg (something close to that spelling) is another who may have direct knowledge or of someone who could help...

That said, why not search for a cab that was a magnum in the first place???? 92-93's (except 92's equipped w/ 360's, as those were TB's UNTIL the 5.9 magnum was introduced in 93). It's not like there were any differences that I could think of b/w the 91TB's to the 92's even when they went to the magnums.

Russ Jerome
06-17-2012, 10:54 PM
I got a SMOKING deal on complete 91 2wd truck :)
I wish it was a 92-92, plug and play. I will do it, alldata and a few beerz!

Just frustrating after doing GM research for a customer's swap and trying to do similar Mopar research, dead end :(

Moparjim
06-17-2012, 11:06 PM
Us Mopar guys are all hillbillys you should know that lol.

We still get excited about Thermoquads, WTF is fuel injection lol.

-stew-
06-18-2012, 07:36 AM
Us Mopar guys are all hillbillys you should know that lol.

We still get excited about Thermoquads, WTF is fuel injection lol.

I'm excited about the vacuum retard distributor on my yorkie!

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

Russ Jerome
06-18-2012, 11:21 AM
Here is a stupid idea that may actualy be Mopar endorsed. I've been driving the 2wd TBI donor truck for a day and I like it! May just swap spring hangers and x-member from my mpfi 4x on the 2wd TBI chassis. Thats reverse engineering! Loose 5hp and some mpg but the truck is solid and runs great. Probably do the mechanical swap over a weekend, long weekend because I would swap my rebuilt727 in place of the girly OD trans thats behind the tbi motor....things I do to be cheap!

DurtyKurty
06-18-2012, 12:17 PM
notch the 727 for a crank pickup,

The crank pickup is on the back of the motor? Next thing you know they will be timing it back there too.....

Prince Valiant
06-18-2012, 03:47 PM
I'm excited about the vacuum retard distributor on my yorkie!vacuum advance?

Russ Jerome
06-18-2012, 08:53 PM
Vacuum retard: the base timing when BOOST is applied to the distributor vac module, all the cool kids are doing it!

BR3W CITY
06-21-2012, 09:19 AM
wow, so I think it took me 15 minutes to find a complete engine manual as well as original wiring diagrams (beyond complete) for my '66 as well as its late model engine. Even on my smaller forums you can usually get info like that. but I guess its easy w/ GM

How have MoPar guys managed to A. either just not do any of it OR B. Manage to be the only group of people to avoid uploading EVERY bit of info and pics into forums/google/website tech etc. Thats almost off-the-grid impressive.

GRAMPS SS
07-02-2012, 11:20 PM
us mopar guys are all hillbillys you should know that lol.

We still get excited about thermoquads, wtf is fuel injection lol.

EFI...for the win I love my EFI set up on my 1970....three thottle bodies at that...SWEEEEEEET