PDA

View Full Version : DSLR and Lens Shopping - any recommendations?

twicks69
06-17-2012, 09:21 PM
The wife and I were going to pick up a new DSLR to replace our Nikon point-shoot camera and give us a bit more options with our photography. This is a hobby camera, not needing too much, but a good quality lens or two would be a given.

We are looking at picking up a Nikon D3100; originally we were looking at the 5100 also, but I don't think we are going to use the options on that camera as much, as well as the left hand controls are nicer on the 3100.

As for lenses, we were undecided if the best choice would be to purchase a body without the supplied lens, and then pick up a multi-use lens; or to pick up a complete camera and a seperate multi-use lens.

Art's Camera+ was pointing us in the direction of the 5100 body with a Tamron 18-270mm lens; or picking up the 3100 assembly and a second Nikon 55-300mm VR lens.

I am definitely open to recommendations on the camera or lens stuff, as well as other quality places to purchase from locally.

Thank you in advance!

jbiscuit
06-17-2012, 09:51 PM
Tamron lenses are garbage so don't get talked into one of those! The 3100 is a great camera especially for a novice. But don't let the entry level camera fool you! It can and will take beautiful photos! You'll love it. I buy all my gear through B&H Photo and KEH. Art's/Crivellos are usually too expensive to justify buying local. Just my 2 bits

twicks69
06-17-2012, 10:28 PM
Thanks for the heads up, I was thinking the same thing with the Tamron they wanted $650 for it alone LOL.

wikked
06-17-2012, 11:19 PM
Thanks for the heads up, I was thinking the same thing with the Tamron they wanted $650 for it alone LOL.

I have that exact lens.
If you've ever seen any of my pictures from the last few years, that is what I was using.
It's a great walkaround lens, because it has the best of both worlds, both short range, and superzoom, which is one of the reasons it costs what it does.

I'll admit it's not the most razor sharp at full zoom, but to say it's garbage is laughable, it's probably one of the best 'all in one' lenses out there.

SSScottSS
06-17-2012, 11:37 PM
Tamron is garbage? First I've ever heard anyone say that. Personally I have an older 18-250 and I agree 100% with wikked that it's a great "walk about" lens. I guess in the world of professional photography when guys throw down thousands for their lenses a Tamron may not be viewed as a desirable lens, but for the average Joe, I think they are more then adequate.

http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/tamron_18-270_3p5-6p3_vc_n15/

I too buy most of my photography items from B&H

twicks69
06-18-2012, 03:03 AM
Are there any other all-in-one or good walk-around lenses available in the $750 and less range that people would recommend?

Keep in mind, this is just a hobby camera more than a "business" camera; we just want nice photos and something that can handle taking pics in medium and low light conditions.

I am definitely open to suggestions and people's experiences.

I would prefer to stay away from Art's and go with another reputable place anyday; we simply went to Art's because they are close by.

jbiscuit
06-18-2012, 07:32 AM
OK, I am speaking from my experience with Tamron lenses. I have owned 3 over the years and each once was a slow focusing, not sharp turd of a lens. Nikon builds fantastic lenses. They sometimes cost a bit more but they offer an range long zoom that you want so why buy anything else?

Here....if you want a wide zoom, their 18-200 is a great lens. Mount it on the camera and fuggetaboutit.
http://www.keh.com/camera/Nikon-Digital-Zoom-Lenses/1/sku-DN07999082856R?r=FE

I actually have the 18-105 and for most shots of my kid etc I use this. Love it. Not the fastest lens but on a sunny day outside, its hard to beat how sharp it is.
http://www.keh.com/camera/Nikon-Digital-Zoom-Lenses/1/sku-DN079991032400?r=FE

Don't feel like you need to spend $700 on a lens right away. If anything, I'd recommend picking up the 18-105 (or the 18-200) and playing around for awhile. Find out what you shoot the most and then re-evaulate what you need in your bag before dropping huge coin on a zoom only to find out you like shooting macros of flowers :rolf kenrockwell.com has reviews of pretty much all lenses out there so feel free to read up on his thoughts, tho again this is ONE person's opinion on a lens so take it for what its worth.

A great entry-level set up would be that 18-200 for most shooting...and if these guys say the Tamron is a good lens, then perhaps it is. I just know that I have been down that road with Tamron glass and won't do that again lol. The only non-Nikon glass I own is the Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 superwide zoom.

The Shaolin
06-18-2012, 08:12 AM
www.kenrockwell.com.

I read so much on here before buying my camera. Great dude.

Nickerz
06-18-2012, 08:24 AM
It's hard to beat an older Canon DSLR for bang for your buck. Its really about 33\33\33 with camera, lens & technique.

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/92-93-94-Optispark-LT1-Corvette-Camaro-Z28-Distributor-/00/s/MTYwMFgxNjAw/$(KGrHqF,!nsE-)YyOpV2BPv9pFwqGw~~60_57.JPG

This was shot with a Digital Rebel XT which is a marginal DSLR now, but still a great camera, the standard Canon prime lens which is a GREAT bang for buck lens that takes outstanding photos but we use a color card & light meter so we have accurate color representation and shoot at the correct apertures and exposures.

Canon DSLRs are also great because you can pickup great lenses and as long as you take care of them they don't really depreciate. You can work your way up to an L-lense. Other lens types don't fair as well in depreciation.

Photo of my car was shot with the same equipment below but without color correction or a light meter because I was by myself.

Silver350
06-18-2012, 06:24 PM
OK, I am speaking from my experience with Tamron lenses. I have owned 3 over the years and each once was a slow focusing, not sharp turd of a lens. Nikon builds fantastic lenses. They sometimes cost a bit more but they offer an range long zoom that you want so why buy anything else?

I have a Tamron, and agree with the above statement. When trying to focus in low light it can be slow as hell for auto focus. I will turn mine over to manual focus in low light but other then that I am happy with the lens.

OxmanWI
06-18-2012, 09:02 PM
I have a Canon Rebel T3. I have the standard lens that came with the camera, which is a Canon 18-55mm. This is great for shooting normal portrait shots and close enough for a micro shot as well. The second lens that I bought is a basic telephoto lens Canon 75-300mm. This is a basic zoom lens to zoom in on an object that is far away that you can't get up and close. Make sure you buy a lens protector to protect your lens from scratching and getting dust on the lens. A lens hood is a good way to keep the sun out of your shots. Lens filters can change the color and texture of your photograph. I know I'm stating the obvious, but hope this helps!

18-55mm (< 1 foot away)

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h72/oxman64/IMG_0571.jpg

75-300mm (+/- 100 feet away)

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h72/oxman64/IMG_1588.jpg