PDA

View Full Version : Moving Trees

ND4SPD
06-09-2012, 10:59 AM
Anyone do or know anything about moving trees? I have 3 to 5 small <6' tall (maybe 3 or 4' tall) conifer/pine/needle trees that I would like to move out to our back property line. The roots are too deep to dig out with a shovel, and I don't have a backhoe... I suppose a tree spade might work. I'm either going to move them or cut them down... I figured I'd see about moving them to the back property line because I want a wall of trees there anyway (there are already a bunch of pines out there now, but they're pretty small). I suppose the other option would be to just cut them down and plant some medium to fast growing trees out along the back. The other issue is getting water out there. It's probably a good 600' from the nearest spigot to where the trees are. Ideas anyone?

jbiscuit
06-09-2012, 09:48 PM
they can be moved but moving a tree is no easy task. That tree probably has a huge ball underground that u would need to dig up completely and then replant. I was just talking to SSDude about planting trees the other day...Trees are a pain and usually require large equipment to plant/move/etc. Any landscaper can assist with this for a fee but they'll stand behind their work also. Trees are expensive too so don't go cutting anything down unless u price out the stuff you intend to buy

That_Guy
06-10-2012, 09:15 AM
You should only transplant trees in months that have a "R" that is a general rule of thumb. Not that you cant do it during other times of the year its just the safest with the weather being more mild. The initial shock of the move can really mess with them and if you add heat to it you are very likely to lose them. also you have to water the hell out of them when they are initially placed into the new location. If the tree is over 6' you are most likely going to need a tree spade. check your pm

wrath
06-10-2012, 01:32 PM
I've been buying 6-9' trees (28" root ball/250lbs) for $65/each. It's the most I can handle by myself but 32" root ball conifers aren't much more. I don't know how much it would cost to have someone move the trees for you, but it might be easier and maybe cheaper just to buy new ones. Plus then you wouldn't have ruts in your yard.

ND4SPD
06-11-2012, 12:39 PM
Thanks for the info all... it is starting to sound like buying some new ones will probably be the way to go. Maybe some arborvitaes or something.