PDA

View Full Version : Land Survey

Korndogg
06-07-2012, 01:09 PM
Does anyone do this or know anyone that does this?

I'm going to want to be putting in a fence soon and I would really like to know the property lines for sure before starting this. I'm in southwest Milwaukee. The yards are all pretty much the same dimension but I just want to make sure where my lines are so I don't get screwed in the long run.

I already looked around and can't find any stakes in the ground. Not sure if there were any here to begin with.

SilverHorse
06-07-2012, 01:21 PM
Your town or city may require a survey any ways. I just put a fence in last year and the city of west bend required a survey valid within 3 years. Additionally they had all sorts of rules around height, proximity to lot line. Corner lots also had a lot of additional rules. Also they wanted an inspector to come and look at it when completed with all of the lot lines clearly marked. Good luck.

Korndogg
06-07-2012, 01:23 PM
Yeah, I don't think Milwaukee is that bad but who knows. It doesn't say anything on the permit application about requiring a survey but I want to do it anyway. They do have height rules and all of that which I looked at also.

I just need to find out where my lines are.

michelle
06-07-2012, 01:36 PM
I don't know about a land survey. When we built my fence, it was well within the property, so I didn't worry about that. I only worried about calling Digger's Hotline since the fence comes off the house.

Korndogg
06-07-2012, 01:38 PM
I don't know about a land survey. When we built my fence, it was well within the property, so I didn't worry about that. I only worried about calling Digger's Hotline since the fence comes off the house.

Yeah, that's kind of a given, around here at least.

jbiscuit
06-07-2012, 01:39 PM
contact the city Mark, they probably have a guy (or guys) they work with regularly for residential surveys.

Korndogg
06-07-2012, 01:41 PM
It says right on Milwaukee's website that the Milwaukee surveyors ONLY do work for the city and you have to find your own surveyor. I just wasn't too keen on paying $500 for a survey.

jbiscuit
06-07-2012, 01:43 PM
ok I gotcha. Stallis has a list of surveyors they were able to give me that they work with or have approved surveys from in the past. Was really convenient

PonyKiller87
06-07-2012, 01:58 PM
if you call the city or go to the the inspections dept. there is probably at least 1 old survey in the file for your house. Get the most recent one, it will have the name of the guy that did it and his phone number. If you go throught that guy it will probably cost less because he is just verifing something he did in the past vs starting over.

Korndogg
06-07-2012, 02:15 PM
I called Milwaukee (again) and they have it! I called them a month ago and they said they didn't have it so I figured I would call again just to make sure. lol

Now I just need to cut these bushes out and dig out the roots and I'm all set, lol.

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/156503_560840126858_1795139544_n.jpg

Korndogg
06-12-2012, 12:22 PM
Got the survey today. It's from 1954 from before the house was built. It even says "proposed dwelling" for the house haha. But it at least shows me that the side of my garage and driveway is the lot line and i can just measure 50' over from there and that's my other lot line. It says there are posts in the ground so I'll either look a little closer or get my dad's metal detector over and check that way. Probably won't be there but it's worth a shot.

WickedSix
06-12-2012, 12:42 PM
They get buried over time, but I believe its a crime to tamper with the markers in most municipalities

animal
06-12-2012, 01:24 PM
Got the survey today. It's from 1954 from before the house was built. It even says "proposed dwelling" for the house haha. But it at least shows me that the side of my garage and driveway is the lot line and i can just measure 50' over from there and that's my other lot line. It says there are posts in the ground so I'll either look a little closer or get my dad's metal detector over and check that way. Probably won't be there but it's worth a shot.

The city guy cautioned me on the "proposed dwelling" lines from an original plat as far as using the house to determine the current lines. He said the house is commonly off by a half foot to a foot or so. It'll get you close enough to find the markers easier though...

73MACH
06-13-2012, 10:17 PM
Like Animal said, plans don't mean nothing. You would be suprised to find out just how many buildings are "off" from the plan, even now with gps and all that other stuff. I'm constantly making up the difference in offset and elevation in parking lots when the building is off.

You would also be suprised at how often those property markers really are there. just buried like WickedSix said.