PDA

View Full Version : wedding ring redone?

Ricky Bobby
06-07-2012, 07:43 AM
wife wants to have her wedding ring and band redone in either white gold or platinum where would the best place go for this she loves her ring in the setting its in now, she just wants to go away from the yellow gold.

That_Guy
06-07-2012, 08:12 AM
jewelry mechanic in oconomowoc.. I bought an antique ring from a shop in Florida for my girlfriend as a gift. Their work was amazing. The thing looks brand new.

Irish
06-07-2012, 08:25 AM
If she likes the setting, all a jeweler has to do is dip the ring in a rhodium plating.

You can have it done at that fix it jewelry place, outside of Barnes and Nobles at Brookfield square for $65 or so.

Any jeweler worth his salt can do it in house. Good luck!

Ricky Bobby
06-07-2012, 09:16 AM
thats what i was figuring shouldnt be to hard its just copying a setting and redoin it in a diff material

Irish
06-07-2012, 09:34 AM
thats what i was figuring shouldnt be to hard its just copying a setting and redoin it in a diff material

In platinum it would be. In white gold, they plate your existing ring in rhodium to make it "white gold". Gold doesn't come out of the ground white (silver in color).

WickedSix
06-07-2012, 09:50 AM
actually white gold is an alloy of several metals and appears as a dull silver color...the rhodium plating makes it bling...much the same as chrome plating a metal piece...i don't think your wife would be happy as the golden color comes through the plating as the rhodium wears off if you just went and had it plated.

There is a place downtown that can scan and then cut a wax duplicate and cast it in your prefered metal can't remember name of top of my head...have to look for card when i get home.

77thor
06-07-2012, 03:52 PM
... There is a place downtown that can scan and then cut a wax duplicate and cast it in your prefered metal can't remember name of top of my head...have to look for card when i get home.

Powers Jewelry - corner of 3rd & Wisconsin.

Wagonbacker9
06-07-2012, 04:58 PM
actually white gold is an alloy of several metals and appears as a dull silver color...the rhodium plating makes it bling...much the same as chrome plating a metal piece...i don't think your wife would be happy as the golden color comes through the plating as the rhodium wears off if you just went and had it plated.

There is a place downtown that can scan and then cut a wax duplicate and cast it in your prefered metal can't remember name of top of my head...have to look for card when i get home.

You can always get it replated... not terribly expensive. Lyns decided she was going to do this at Jared... I was not consulted on the topic.

Irish
06-07-2012, 08:29 PM

So that's another version of "white gold"?

I think I'd rather do the plating. That way the gold doesn't become diluted.

Ricky Bobby
06-07-2012, 10:05 PM
Went to Robert haack just cause its close they want a grand to swap and make the new rings. Gonna be shopping around but seems a little high priced haven't bought jewelry in 12 yrs so I'm outta the loop

WickedSix
06-08-2012, 07:56 AM
actually any gold ring whether you get white or traditional yellow gold is alloyed. Pure gold is too malleable to use alone. Below you can see the raw colors of several different alloys before the rhodium plating.

http://www.pricescope.com/idealbb/files/White%20Gold%20Comparisons.jpg

Irish
06-08-2012, 08:49 AM
actually any gold ring whether you get white or traditional yellow gold is alloyed. Pure gold is too malleable to use alone. Below you can see the raw colors of several different alloys before the rhodium plating.

http://www.pricescope.com/idealbb/files/White%20Gold%20Comparisons.jpg

Neat pic!

Correct, like you said, to give gold strength however, wouldn't mixing in other metals to whiten it up cause it to become more diluted?

Is it the case where they build more gold into it, taking that into consideration?

WickedSix
06-08-2012, 10:21 AM
well much like alloys in steel or aluminum they use a system to designate the gold content... 24k gold would be pure gold...anything less, like the examples above, have other elements for strength, color, wear, etc. There are even gold alloys that are hypoallergenic because some of the alloying elements used commonly in the US can have adverse reactions with some peoples skin. So to answer your question if you have the same ring made of yellow gold in 18k vs the same ring made in 18k white gold both rings will have the same gold content, they will just have different alloying elements.

I pretty much drove myself crazy with this stuff researching my wife's engagement ring

Irish
06-08-2012, 02:49 PM
well much like alloys in steel or aluminum they use a system to designate the gold content... 24k gold would be pure gold...anything less, like the examples above, have other elements for strength, color, wear, etc. There are even gold alloys that are hypoallergenic because some of the alloying elements used commonly in the US can have adverse reactions with some peoples skin. So to answer your question if you have the same ring made of yellow gold in 18k vs the same ring made in 18k white gold both rings will have the same gold content, they will just have different alloying elements.

I pretty much drove myself crazy with this stuff researching my wife's engagement ring

I bet you did! Thanks for the clarification!

Gregor
06-12-2012, 10:32 PM
Hi this is Gregor wife. I work for Jared's Galleria of Jewelry. If you want custom rings made we can give you estimates for both white gold and platinum. If you have any questions about getting rings made or any questions about jewelry at all, feel free to message gregor or I, and I will help anyway I can! :)