PDA

View Full Version : Is a half-ton diesel going to be reality soon?

Prince Valiant
06-03-2012, 03:09 PM
Sourced from allpar.com (http://www.allpar.com/news/index.php/2012/06/diesel-ram-1500-approved)

text:

A reliable source has told Allpar that diesel Ram 1500s are being assembled for testing, but that production is likely some ways off. The vehicles are not being built on the regular assembly line, indicating that the company is in the initial stages of testing for fit, clearance, initial tuning, and temperature control.

The diesel chosen was not the Cummins V6 or V8 models, which are used by Nissan and the U.S. military and were originally to go into various Rams; instead, it appears that Chrysler is choosing to use the VM 3.0 V6 diesel, which counts as an internal Fiat unit. Chrysler has used VM diesels for many years in its European cars, and the 3-liter V6 is a modern unit that can pass both American and European emissions standards.

Both rear wheel drive and 4×4 versions are being built for testing.

It is likely that the VM was chosen not because it is a Fiat engine, but because it is to be used in other domestic vehicles, likely including future Grand Cherokees and Wranglers, as well as European Chryslers such as the Lancia Thema and Voyager. Using a common engine reduces the number of parts dealers must stock, reduces mechanics’ increasingly high training load, and helps to keep service mechanics and engineers familiar with the design.

The Fiat sourced 3.0 V6 VM motori diesel that they are discussing as going in the Ram 1500 produce 241hp and 400ft-lbs of torque in other current applications and meets both european and us emission standards without urea injection...

If they are testing now, it's likely that the earliest we'd see a diesel half-ton offering (from ram at least) would be 2014 MY...

GTSLOW
06-03-2012, 03:57 PM
Sounds like it would be a nice truck!

DRK
06-03-2012, 05:04 PM
no please make it stop... powered by fiat :)

http://www.nydailynews.com/autos/drive-risk-dodge-ram-named-dangerous-car-america-24-7-wall-st-article-1.1088385

lilws6
06-03-2012, 05:13 PM
from what ive heard gm has been working on a new smaller duramax as well but since the bail out i do not know if they continued the project. They were looking at sticking it in 1500's and suv's like the tahoe and suburban's be cool to beef up a turbo diesel tahoe :)

outlawgibbs
06-03-2012, 05:44 PM
GM had 1500 diesel's back in the 90s. Really what would be the point. They weigh almost the same. It might ride a bit better but you'll not improve the fuel mileage. Bring me a Colorado with a small diesel and you'll have a cool little truck that get 30+ MPG and still has power to pull

Prince Valiant
06-03-2012, 06:55 PM
from what ive heard gm has been working on a new smaller duramax as well but since the bail out i do not know if they continued the project. They were...but the project has been shelved and I've heard no mention of possibly starting it up anytime soon...

Really what would be the point. They weigh almost the same. It might ride a bit better but you'll not improve the fuel mileage.Given that the 1/2 ton version of the current 2012 trucks is almost 600lbs lighter (and will be lighter still by another nearly 200lbs after the 2013 refresh) than the most basic 3/4 ton model, and smaller frontal area, I would doubt this. Especially when one factors in the difference in mechanical drag b/w of 11.5" HD rear, axles, larger driveshaft/trans/etc to the comparatively smaller 9.25 rear/etc/etc of the half-ton.

It might not exceed the mileage of the 2013 base v6 (expected to be either 23 or 24mpg hwy), but then it would at worst have similar mileage with far greater towing capacity.

I do agree that I'd love to see a smaller pick-up come along, colorado/ranger sized offer a nice four cylinder TD...

Rocket Power
06-12-2012, 10:13 AM
There have been 1/2 diesel rumors (not counting the old 5.7/6.2/6.5 GM used to build) since at least the 09 model year and they never come true. I'll believe it when I see it. They're going to have to have a reasonable price point too, not many people are going to buy a 1/2ton small diesel if it's not significantly cheaper than a more powerful 3/4 ton. I know I wouldn't.

Cryptic
06-12-2012, 11:09 AM
There have been 1/2 diesel rumors (not counting the old 5.7/6.2/6.5 GM used to build) since at least the 09 model year and they never come true. I'll believe it when I see it. They're going to have to have a reasonable price point too, not many people are going to buy a 1/2ton small diesel if it's not significantly cheaper than a more powerful 3/4 ton. I know I wouldn't.

Case in point is Ford's F150 EcoBoost twin turbo V6. Not exactly cheaper than your 5.0 option.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

wrath
06-13-2012, 05:27 AM
I've seen half a dozen Fiat Grand Voyagers, several long-travel Rams, and a new Challenger on the road. I've yet to see a turbodiesel half ton Ram on the road. I went to college with a guy that does cals for Chrysler and he has yet to say a peep about interesting engines and/or transmissions ending up in a truck.

I think Ford will beat GM and Chrysler/Ram to the 1/2 ton diesel market, seeing as how they no longer have the Danger Ranger.

Prince Valiant
06-13-2012, 09:36 AM
I've seen half a dozen Fiat Grand Voyagers, several long-travel Rams, and a new Challenger on the road. I've yet to see a turbodiesel half ton Ram on the road. I went to college with a guy that does cals for Chrysler and he has yet to say a peep about interesting engines and/or transmissions ending up in a truck.

I think Ford will be GM and Chrysler/Ram to the 1/2 ton diesel market, seeing as how they no longer have the Danger Ranger.

derp.

wrath
06-14-2012, 05:22 AM
It was early. And I think you meant dirp.

On another note, I saw a mid-size RWD sedan with camouflage yesterday.

Prince Valiant
06-14-2012, 10:27 AM
It was early. And I think you meant dirp.

http://chzderp.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/hurr-durr-derp-face-pugderp1.jpg

Derp.

wrath
06-15-2012, 10:26 PM
My neighbor, who works at the proving grounds, wouldn't say anything. Maybe now they don't make the Dakota anymore they will make a light duty Ram with a small diesel? Maybe the common rail engine that was in the Jeep KJ and is now going in the Colorado/Canyon?

Who knows with GM, they seem to be only focused on cars these days. No new Silverado this year so that will make year 7 with the same body style. Heck, they're still just putting the L9H in it instead of the L94.

Wagonbacker9
06-15-2012, 11:02 PM
I for one don't understand why GM STOPPED making half ton diesels...