PDA

View Full Version : Local Auto part stores.... Suck!

BoosTT
06-01-2012, 08:05 AM
Is it just me or do the local auto part stores give you the wrong part about 50% of the time? Granted, I don't like to bring the old part with me to verify, but why should I need to? I have never once received the wrong part when I order online, including online junk yards.

Shit pisses me off. Just got a wrong size thermostat from Orely's on hwy 100 last night. 10 minute job turned into 45 minute job getting a new one from Advanced auto parts. A few weeks ago I got a wrong neg battery lead from napa (and napa even had to order it!). Ugh!

Maybe these stores should stick to selling car wax and floor mats!

Josepy
06-01-2012, 08:10 AM
This happens all the time and it will never change. I have been dealing with the same shit as well. Depressing

The Shaolin
06-01-2012, 08:15 AM
Protip:

Order online from advanceauto.com. A variety of coupon codes are available that will save you MINIMUM 20%, I average around 30-40% off. That's better than employee discount.

PIck it up in person. Verify the part numbers. Since I've started doing this, I've saved a bucket of cash and have never gotten the wrong part.

DurtyKurty
06-01-2012, 08:28 AM
protip:

Order online from advanceauto.com. A variety of coupon codes are available that will save you minimum 20%, i average around 30-40% off. That's better than employee discount.

Pick it up in person. Verify the part numbers. Since i've started doing this, i've saved a bucket of cash and have never gotten the wrong part.

x2

Prince Valiant
06-01-2012, 08:36 AM
I just go to my friendly but not area NAPA parts store...leave happy every time.

Rocket Power
06-01-2012, 08:48 AM
I always look stuff up beforehand, along with comparing prices. When I do that I come out fine.

PureSound15
06-01-2012, 09:20 AM
Protip:

Order online from advanceauto.com. A variety of coupon codes are available that will save you MINIMUM 20%, I average around 30-40% off. That's better than employee discount.

PIck it up in person. Verify the part numbers. Since I've started doing this, I've saved a bucket of cash and have never gotten the wrong part.

+2 - works like a charm and so far, they've had every part at the store near my house within the same day.

Slow5oh
06-01-2012, 09:25 AM
When I was doing my motor rebuild, between Car Quest and Autozone it took 2.5 weeks and 7 sets for them to get me the right piston rings.

jbiscuit
06-01-2012, 11:40 AM
Napa on State, talk to Paul. Done.

Josepy
06-01-2012, 11:43 AM
I am more talking about the times when you can't plan ahead and you need something asap. That is when they get you.

BoosTT
06-01-2012, 12:29 PM
I am more talking about the times when you can't plan ahead and you need something asap. That is when they get you.

Exactly! I need this part now!!! Not the wrong part either! LOL

BR3W CITY
06-01-2012, 12:49 PM
Napa; is there seriously anyone one here that DOESN'T know someone at one of these? Oreilly is only useful for fluids/misc bulk shit, but thats it. If I need someone to actually take ownership of what they are selling (warranty, exchange, lookup of weird stuff) I call them. Mike, Rich and Alan up at the Capitol store are all solid guys, as well as Dan at South, and a few of the gents at the DC (just don't bug them on a saturday afternoon :) )

-stew-
06-01-2012, 03:56 PM
Napa; is there seriously anyone one here that DOESN'T know someone at one of these? Oreilly is only useful for fluids/misc bulk shit, but thats it. If I need someone to actually take ownership of what they are selling (warranty, exchange, lookup of weird stuff) I call them. Mike, Rich and Alan up at the Capitol store are all solid guys, as well as Dan at South, and a few of the gents at the DC (just don't bug them on a saturday afternoon :) )

I don't know anyone that worst at a parts store currently. After going to NAPA and dealing with morons that don't know what a Bosch relay is and getting the "what's it for" runaround and a moron at Carquest telling me I need to go to the dealership for manifold studs and doughnut gaskets (or maybe go to fast times, because "they got stuff laying around,") I firmly believe you're severely at risk of running into a total idiot behind the counter whenever you walk through the door of a parts house, regardless of what name is on the door.

spooln30
06-01-2012, 06:50 PM
I've had pretty good luck at parts stores as of late. I only deal with a guy I know will give me the right parts.

lilws6
06-01-2012, 07:01 PM
All the good people at parts stores are leaving because of the bs they have to put up with thru corperate. I left oreilly because my boss was a complete doushe thought he knew everything always made sure customers knew he tought he knew everything and just screwed everything up all the time. I worked on cars and came to the parts aspect i know what works and what doesn't NOT YOU. he didn't like that to much so i up and left and went back to wrenching. Everyone i used to work with besides him was knowledgable and we usually got the right parts out the door. But everyone of them wants to leave do to all the corperate bs forcing them to "sell more this" and "sell more that" it gets old and i got sick of it as well. But on a side note when i worked at oreilly i got the wrong thermostate for my T/A when i did my cam lol had to order one online.

Bobby "Big Daddy" Flay
06-01-2012, 07:06 PM
All the good people at parts stores are leaving because of the bs they have to put up with thru corperate. I left oreilly because my boss was a complete doushe thought he knew everything always made sure customers knew he tought he knew everything and just screwed everything up all the time. I worked on cars and came to the parts aspect i know what works and what doesn't NOT YOU. he didn't like that to much so i up and left and went back to wrenching. Everyone i used to work with besides him was knowledgable and we usually got the right parts out the door. But everyone of them wants to leave do to all the corperate bs forcing them to "sell more this" and "sell more that" it gets old and i got sick of it as well. But on a side note when i worked at oreilly i got the wrong thermostate for my T/A when i did my cam lol had to order one online.

I agree with you Donny on this. I work at Advance Auto in West Bend and yes it is a business and there needs to be profits, but there is too much of the force the customer to buy this and that when they know what they want and only have that much to spend. The political aspect of it is becoming too involved and not enough focus towards customer service.

Reverend Cooper
06-01-2012, 07:52 PM
I always get the right parts,either Ben or Dan works out great for me. lol

lilws6
06-01-2012, 07:57 PM
Thats cuz there two car guys who "know" parts :) they don't pretend to "know" it all. When i told my boss how big the cam i was putting in my trans am he said whoa thats too big! I LOLED

Moparjim
06-02-2012, 03:30 AM
I am happy with my local Autozone in Oak Creek on Howell. I always have gotten the right stuff, good customer service. I also go to the NAPA on College and have good luck there as well.

Ricky Bobby
06-03-2012, 10:45 AM
holeshot works at the napa on college thats why its all good

Holeshot
06-03-2012, 11:12 AM
While we strive to have knowledgeable staff not everyone knows it all. Vin breaks and mid year changes can throw a curve ball in any look up. The information is always there you just need to know how to look and where.
I do not claim to know it all nor will I ever. In a profession that is ever changing it can be difficult at times to say the least.

The thing to remember about a poor counter person is if their not willing to go beyond the computer catalog he or she is useless. I still use paper catalogs and have a host of tech lines to use.

I am here to help every one but I do not control NAPA price structures.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2