PDA

View Full Version : Duel in the Desert: Raptor vs. Ram Runner...

Prince Valiant
05-30-2012, 08:48 PM
Great read:

http://special-reports.pickuptrucks.com/duel-in-the-desert-shootout.html/

There are off-road-capable trucks, and then there are these two: the Ford F-150 SVT Raptor and Mopar's Ram Runner. These two take off-roading to another world entirely. We put them through their paces over a five-mile course in the Southern California desert, conducting timed runs over some of the most inhospitable terrain around. Who came out on top? Read on.

http://special-reports.pickuptrucks.com/duel-in-the-desert-shootout.html/

Each have their pro's and con's...and the results actually surprised me...

CATNHAT
05-30-2012, 10:27 PM
Gay.
So who won? When you look at the four sections, you see the Ram Runner won two and the Raptor won two, with the overall fastest time going to the Ram Runner, with a total loop time of 6 minutes 25 seconds. The Raptor's time was just 33 seconds slower, with a total lap time of 6 minutes 58 seconds.
The winner of our 2012 Duel in the Desert goes to the Mopar-built Ram Runner. In this bout, aftermarket beats factory.

Ford wins on styling alone. production vs production would be better. Dodge should make something to compete here. I like the Dodge trucks, but this comparo is lame.

Prince Valiant
05-30-2012, 11:11 PM
Dodge should make something to compete here.
Um, they do. It's all factory engineered equipment...the fact that it isn't built from the factory as such doesn't mean it doesn't compete...though it certainly has more obstacles to overcome to convince a buyer to come over it's way.

Nor is the comparo lame...they simply raced the vehicles over the same course, with the winner being the victor of the comparo. A lame comparison probably would factor in superficial traits such as fuel economy or subjective opinions on styling and have fudge factors such as "fun-to-drive"....

Maybe one would wish it was a truck finished at the factory vs a truck finished at the factory...but then there would be no comparison (well, one could compare the ram power wagon to the raptor, but then they have vastly differing purposes, each clearly superior to the other in those niches). But when one compares what is offered, well, there we have it.

As I stated, each have their pro's and con's...the ford is easily the more refined finished product, that sacrifices almost no capability while being a superior on-road truck than the ram runner package.

New vs. New, the Ford is much much cheaper...but then one of the advantages of the mopar approach is that it doesn't have to be applied to a new truck...

BOSS LX
05-30-2012, 11:37 PM
LOL

The Raptor is a production truck, test makes zero sense.

Let's stick 18k into the Raptor, and see what's up!

Flicktitty
05-31-2012, 12:08 AM
So can you go to a Dodge dealership and buy one of these Ram Runners on the showroom floor? or have a chance and finding one on a lot?

The Ford dealership in Delavan has 3 Raptors, and i believe one has a Vortech on it.

Firestarts
05-31-2012, 08:44 AM
you are best!

Prince Valiant
05-31-2012, 08:54 AM
LOL

The Raptor is a production truck, test makes zero sense.

Let's stick 18k into the Raptor, and see what's up!This post has zero substance. Try again.

I mean, even the 18K figure is a little misleading since if this was to be produced as a finished product from the factory (which yes, as we all know, it's not, one of the raptors many advantages), the truck wouldn't be as expensive as it is in this form (68K). You wouldn't have to buy redundant parts, paying twice to have those parts put on again (I've gone with the as installed price).

It'd be kind of like me racing your lightning, losing, and then complaining "well let me stick a supercharger and see what's up!"----dumb.

So can you go to a Dodge dealership and buy one of these Ram Runners on the showroom floor? or have a chance and finding one on a lot?There have been dealers that yes, have sold these off the lot...one sold with everything installed for 59,9xx. These are done up similar to the old "Mr. Norm" Dodges...where the dealer would go ahead and modify vehicles they purchased to be sold...or similar to custom vans.

While it's certainly a check-mark in it's favor that one is far more easily available, this isn't a slam-dunk argument for why the raptor might be (and I would argue IS) better...I mean, I'm sure there were far more foci's on the lot than Raptors, but this doesn't change one bit which I'd rather own.

But then, the fact that there are three raptors on the lot in a small town in WI kind of points to a what I think is kind of dumb about these trucks in general (ram runner included)...there is no place to really do the desert running that these trucks are engineered for...west of the rockies is where these things shine.

...these trucks around here are like civics with big wings...kind of pointless.

I mean, if someone wants one because that's what they want...great! I'm all for it...I just never see one go by and think "there goes a hardcore dessert racer...". The nice thing about the raptor is that they did recently add the torsen front locking diff to improve it's slow-go off-roading ability...

DRK
05-31-2012, 10:05 AM
This is like comparing GT500 to a Challenger SRT-8 and being all fanboy cause the GT500 won. Wait they're both production cars and that would be a fair comparo, move on.

Prince Valiant
05-31-2012, 10:26 AM
This is like comparing GT500 to a Challenger SRT-8 and being all fanboy cause the GT500 won. Wait they're both production cars and that would be a fair comparo, move on.No, this would be like comparing two trucks.

It's funny how butt-hurt you guys are because of this...even when I said:

this isn't a slam-dunk argument for why the raptor might be (and I would argue IS) better...

Irish
05-31-2012, 11:16 AM
I think you posted this just to get a rise lol.

On a side-note, I am glad were talking cars/trucks.

Waver
05-31-2012, 11:18 AM
So in reality, this is kind of like the 0-100-0 tests that I think Car and Driver does, where they pit aftermarket vehicles (like renntech, saleen, ect) against the factory cars. I understand it. Where as the Ram might be the better overall performing truck with off the shelf Mopar Performance parts, the Raptor gives you a better starting point.

I agree with you Prince that these trucks really have no purpose for this part of the country, however you have to keep in mind that these are "Limited" (even in the loosest sense of the word) production vehicles. I mean what was the purpose of a Lightning, SRT-10 Ram, or a GMC Cyclone...........

Prince Valiant
05-31-2012, 11:22 AM
I think you posted this just to get a rise lol. :devil

Truth be told, yes...I knew it would get a rise...but that's not exactly why I posted it. It's a cool look at a couple cool trucks doing what they were meant to do. Like I said, the outcome was surprising to me...I'd have figured the Raptor would have won.

In a more complete comparison, I am sure it would have won too.

-stew-
05-31-2012, 12:35 PM
I mean what was the purpose of a Lightning, SRT-10 Ram, or a GMC Cyclone...........

Did you mean Mercury Cyclone or GMC Syclone?

(Insert clever comments about proofreading here.)

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

CATNHAT
05-31-2012, 01:55 PM
Id like to see them do this course with factory 1/2 ton trucks. The Ford would win for sure b/c the dodge tranny would blow in the first sand pit, and the chevy would--well, no need to elaborate there. Still like to see it though.

Dodge should come up with some type of recirculating catch basin to capture the tranny fluid and refill itself.

Prince Valiant
05-31-2012, 02:52 PM
and the chevy would--well, no need to elaborate there.oh no...please...elaborate.

Waver
05-31-2012, 04:40 PM
Did you mean Mercury Cyclone or GMC Syclone?

(Insert clever comments about proofreading here.)

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

I think you knew what I meant. Well I do at least hope you do.

BOSS LX
05-31-2012, 05:02 PM
I guess it is a good thing that the new Ford's HAVE to be compared to aftermarket built vehicles that cost 30% more!

Put the blower on Prince and give me a call!

CATNHAT
05-31-2012, 05:18 PM
oh no...please...elaborate.the cheby would tow the dodge back to the dodge dealership for a new tranny. then throw a rod. Ford wins.

95mustang302
05-31-2012, 06:28 PM
and then the ford would need exhaust gaskets where you have to pull the body off the frame to do them because you can't get the exhaust manifolds out due to the piss poor design. All of the trucks have their ups and downs. I love how everyone gets soooo upset about a truck comparison...

-stew-
05-31-2012, 07:02 PM
^^^ Or it will need $4500 worth of egr cooler repairs. Or the Chevy will need $5500 worth of injectors. Or the Ford will get a flat and you'll need a $1600 puller to get the wheel off because it is seized to the hub. Or the Dodge will yada yada yada, they're junk too.

nismodave
05-31-2012, 07:22 PM
hf_XpLOYfog

CATNHAT
05-31-2012, 07:52 PM
hf_XpLOYfog If you actually count the slaps, the Ford won! And the dodge was leaking thick globby red tranny fluid from the crotch area.

nismodave
05-31-2012, 07:54 PM
Dont say TRANNY here on BCM....LOL!

GTSLOW
05-31-2012, 08:56 PM
you are best!

spam

-stew-
05-31-2012, 09:04 PM
^^^ better than over 9000 of your posts combined.

jakedrew
05-31-2012, 09:56 PM
^^^^^

Prince Valiant
05-31-2012, 10:03 PM
Put the blower on Prince...
meh. I'm too lazy.

Reverend Cooper
05-31-2012, 10:22 PM
the velociraptor is where its at

CATNHAT
05-31-2012, 10:25 PM
to sum up this thread ford dodge cheby trucks great we love em but they have some minor issues. Foreign trucks suck balls period. and prince needs a blower.

but we all know ford is the best.

/thread

Prince Valiant
05-31-2012, 10:41 PM
and prince needs a blower.Nope. Don't.

Rocket Power
06-01-2012, 01:40 AM
The dodge should have a diesel, like this one. :)

http://www.off-roadweb.com/features/1206or_thrill_generator_2001_dodge_ram_2500_4x4/index.html
http://image.off-roadweb.com/f/36122837+w750+st0/1206or-05+thrill-generator-2001-dodge-2500-4x4+2001-dodge-2500-4x4-front-axle-truss.jpg

jakedrew
06-01-2012, 05:18 AM
wasnt the raptor have some frame bending issues a little bit ago?

^^^^^^

Rocket Power
06-01-2012, 07:52 AM
wasnt the raptor have some frame bending issues a little bit ago?

^^^^^^

When the guys switched to softer rear springs and bottomed the rear out hammering them like they were a trophy truck.

-stew-
06-01-2012, 03:47 PM
Half tons are for women.

http://www.knifeforums.com/uploads/1252326845-toilet_doo.jpg

Just stirrrrring the pot...

jakedrew
06-01-2012, 04:12 PM
When the guys switched to softer rear springs and bottomed the rear out hammering them like they were a trophy truck.

Thought I read about that.

DRK
06-01-2012, 06:18 PM
The dodge should have a diesel, like this one. :)

moot point because again dodge doesn't build a diesel,......inhouse :) that's whats great about a Cummins

Prince Valiant
06-01-2012, 09:01 PM
moot point because again dodge doesn't build a diesel,......inhouse :) that's whats great about a CumminsAh yes...the ford qualifiers strike again :rolleyes:

CATNHAT
06-02-2012, 07:27 AM
Half tons are for women.

http://www.knifeforums.com/uploads/1252326845-toilet_doo.jpg

Just stirrrrring the pot...
http://image.sporttruck.com/f/11893766+w750+st0/0901st_01_z+sport_truck_pinup_january_2009_trinity +pinup_girl.jpg

Im OK with that.