PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here do auto body work ?

Max 93
05-28-2012, 01:40 PM
I am looking for someone to come take a look at my car and fine tune the alignment of my doors, fenders and hood. The car is a 68 Firebird and I am located in Big Bend. Anyone interested in doing this ?

JC70SS
05-28-2012, 02:09 PM
keith?

awsomeears
05-28-2012, 02:13 PM
If your car runs and drives head to Authentic Auto/Dr. Ford......

Little drive but worth it, its in Classy Cudahy !!!

Max 93
05-28-2012, 02:41 PM
The car is not registered yet and has not been driven more than 15 ft.

BR3W CITY
05-28-2012, 03:52 PM
registration is a weak excuse son; and it sure as hell doesn't stop a car from driving :)

seriously though, if you need actual body work done, Dr Ford is kinda the go to guy around here. Most shops prefer to do the work in house, with access to all that expense equipment....plus most wouldn't be insured to work at your property. Aligning panels is just time consuming, not really body work.

Find your stock panel gaps (my 66 was 3/16 most the way around) and get some shims to help you hold a seam. Start with the most stationary piece and work your way around.

Max 93
05-28-2012, 08:45 PM
I was hoping to find someone to do it as a side job.

Ricky Bobby
05-28-2012, 11:46 PM
Don't skimp and dr ford has a wrecker could possibly haul it to and from

spooln30
05-29-2012, 05:14 AM
As said before, go to True Value and get some body shims. Yes they actually sell body shims not talking about regular washers. It's not very hard at all. Just tape all of the edges and loosen the bolts/nut then adjust accordingly. I like to use a piece of cardboard for a gap guide and also two layers of painters tape for extra insurance. Most body guys will actually drill holes in the fenders and then use the bit as an alignment pin during the reassembling process. Mind you the hole is drilled before paint but after the panel gaps are set. GL.