PDA

View Full Version : Vision question,

easytoremember
05-26-2012, 10:10 PM
So I don't wear glasses. I never wanted to as everyone I know who has worn glasses since childhood is pretty much blind without them now, and they always need to go and get a new pair almost every year.

Every now and then though now if I close my right eye and look down, I can't make out my odometer clearly. Anyone suggest a good eye doctor in the area? If I'm going to go see someone I'd probably want the laser surgery instead of glasses though.

spooln30
05-27-2012, 12:36 AM
You should go get them checked out for sure. I have glasses but I only wear them when I drive. My vision has seemed to stayed the same. I'll find out cuz I need new glasses due to them being dropped and the lens are scratched to hell. So ill find out if my eyes have got worse, I damn sure know they aren't better. Lol. I thought about getting Lazic but I know of 4 people who had problems after getting it. Kinda freaks me out.

easytoremember
05-27-2012, 10:37 AM
what kind of problems? I just ran into my first friend who might have had a problem.

Now I have no idea how laser surgery works etc. but supposedly there's a white light you stare at while they shoot the laser in your eye. and when then they do everything goes blurry, then after a few minutes it gets super clear. Here it is a week later and things are still blurry for her, not super blurry, but worse than before...

Contacts would be my other choice... I craw under and through too many cars a day to wear glasses. My sun glasses always fall off, so I'd go the contact lens route.

BR3W CITY
05-27-2012, 11:29 AM
laser surgery is awesome, especially if your over 25-30 and your vision is "set" more or less. I have astigmatism and contacts aren't comfortable. I'll go laser surgery if I can get the money together.

easytoremember
05-27-2012, 03:17 PM
i have an astigmatism too.... then again I did the last time I was at the eye doctor... close to 15 years ago now...

SSDude
05-27-2012, 03:37 PM
what kind of problems? I just ran into my first friend who might have had a problem.

Now I have no idea how laser surgery works etc. but supposedly there's a white light you stare at while they shoot the laser in your eye. and when then they do everything goes blurry, then after a few minutes it gets super clear. Here it is a week later and things are still blurry for her, not super blurry, but worse than before...

Contacts would be my other choice... I craw under and through too many cars a day to wear glasses. My sun glasses always fall off, so I'd go the contact lens route.

Uhmmm you sure talk a good game about taking care of your eyes but you throw caution to the wind when it comes to protecting them. Safety glasses of any kind FTW

Either way see a good optometrist for an exam and protect your eyes.

Rocket Power
05-27-2012, 04:34 PM

I've been wearing glasses for nearly 30 years and don't have a problem with my glasses falling off when working on/in cars, which I've done for over 20 years. You need glasses that fit apparently.

easytoremember
05-27-2012, 09:29 PM
thanks for the comments about properly fitting glasses, yea that probably would make a difference. My sun glasses are chepos.

as far as protecting my eyes, yes I do when I'm working on cars. However, in this case Im just ducking down and shoving my head under to examine for damage or repaired damage etc. I'm not working on them, just examining them.

Prince Valiant
05-27-2012, 10:39 PM
First, quit playing so many damn video games...vision is probably getting lazy from that alone :goof

But, in all seriousness, how old are you? It's not uncommon for our vision to get worse as we get older...our eyes focus by changing their shape, and get less flexible as we age. Of course, some of us are born with less than perfectly shaped eyes to begin with, so they may need glasses early in life or from the get go...but it's not terribly uncommon for most of us to need glasses at some point in our lives, be they regular glasses or reading glasses.

But get your eyes checked to see where you're at...I would undergo the expense and trade-off of lasik unless you're truly a good candidate for it...and of course, NEED glasses.

Because of course, you might not need it...just as we have a dominant arm (ie, one is usually right or left handed), we have also have a dominant eye...so what you experienced isn't terribly novel. Another possibility is that due to dust, irritation, tiredness, etc, you might have basically had dry or gunky eyes, which of course diminishes your vision.

But it's a good idea, even with perfect vision to get those eyes checked once a year...it's cheap to see an optometrist (appts are usually ~ 50 bucks) and it's quick and easy appt that will screen for a whole host of potential eye problems.

easytoremember
05-28-2012, 11:28 AM
lol, I'm going for 100,000 on packman. ;-)

I remember when I was a kid at the eye doc he said my right eye is my dominant eye. my left eye did it again where I couldn't read my odometer looking down closing my right eye. What you said makes a lot of sense though,. Both times it was at the end of the day after a long day at work.