PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a job for my dad.....

theavenger333
05-17-2012, 09:42 AM
My dad was a contractor for 100 years, and through 4 back surgeries, one large blood clot in his leg, and lung cancer, he is no longer. We had him working for Lowes' which was GREAT, his knowledge of pretty much anything in the store was super helpful, they used to have him wander around basically and just help people in every department. His Lowes was on Brown Deer, the one that closed.

Anyway, he's having a super hard time finding ANY kind of work. Most think he is going to want too much money. All he's looking for is 20 hours or so, basically to keep him from going stir crazy, and some flexibility for his doctors' appointments. He would prefer to not work nights, especially on the weekend, but it's not a deal breaker. He's not looking for 15 dollars an hour, i do believe Lowes' paid him about 9.50.

For a benefit, he's legally handicapped, and a veteran, which for a large company, they get a tax break.

He's in remission from the cancer, but can't walk terribly far on his own. He does perfectly fine if he can walk with a shopping cart, otherwise he has one of those custom "walkers" with the seat on it and the brakes and all that stuff. If he can use either of those, or is sitting, he can last forever.

He's idea in a hardware store, or a building supply store, but is knowledgable in lots of other things.

ANYBODY got any leads? Trust me, he will work hard, and do a good job for you. Any help would be appreciated. He's applied to just about every hardware store in the glendale area, plus mequon and a few others. He really needs to just get his foot in the door.

Waver
05-17-2012, 10:03 AM
Has he tried the Menards in Oak Creek? I know they are usually hiring. I used to know people who worked there, however I havent talked to them in some time. It is worth a shot.

BR3W CITY
05-17-2012, 10:24 AM
What about an Ace? They tend to actually USE people with tool/contracting knowledge, instead of the kind of "help" Depot uses.

Car Guy
05-17-2012, 10:32 AM
I was thinking the same if Lowe's is no longer interested in employing him. Ace is the place!

theavenger333
05-17-2012, 11:01 AM
he's applied. doesn't even get an interview...... tried at a true value, 2 ace hardwares, the hardware place in Theinsville. they had help wanted but no call back or anything. was hoping to find a "hookup" or just someone who could help get his foot in the door. if he meets a manager or owner etc, he should have the job. he talked to one guy at ACE and he said dad would be looking for too much money, without asking what he wanted. same old BS sometimes.... as for Oak Creek, that's a bit far, my folks live in Glendale....

Waver
05-17-2012, 11:27 AM
Well would you consider Cabella's too far? Or perhaps, if he is interested, I am sure there are some dealerships that are hiring drivers for dealer trades.

WickedSix
05-17-2012, 12:36 PM
Nuys in the falls?

Andy6789
05-17-2012, 03:43 PM
Look at dealerships, they are always looking for older guys to deliver part

awsomeears
05-17-2012, 08:24 PM
Have him check out Advanced Auto or Car Quest, parts driver !!!!

2006wrxtr
05-19-2012, 11:29 AM
Well would you consider Cabella's too far? Or perhaps, if he is interested, I am sure there are some dealerships that are hiring drivers for dealer trades.

The dealership thing is a good Idea. When I sold cars they always used older
people to do dealer trades and transfers..

Mike

BR3W CITY
05-19-2012, 12:43 PM
The la Quinta Inn on Port Rd (the bigger one, not the smaller branch further south) needs a shuttle driver and part time helper. I had a friend that was doing the job for a while, but it was his "regular" job and wasn't cutting it for a 24 year old. They mainly drive customers to and from the hotel, sometimes assisting with some small stuff if asked by maintenance. They aren't overly picky either, as your dad would probably be the only one able to pass a drug test, making him perfect for the driver job. IIRC it was like $10.25hr