PDA

View Full Version : New WI ATV/UTV law

spooln30
05-06-2012, 02:01 AM
A new dumb ass WI law passed for anyone who rides the public ATV trails. Here's the facts. Oh yeah as you will read WE will have to supply the plates.

Starting on July 1st 2012, for publicly registered UTVs & ATVs, owners will be required to furnish a rear plate in addition to the 2 side decals furnished by DNR,: This change was added after many discussions over the years with various experts and user groups based on surveys and meetings. Plate will be minimum of 4 inches in height and 7 ½ inches wide. Plate must be white Black lettering a minimum of 1 ½ inches high with a minimum 3/16 inch stroke Needs only the 4 registration numbers and two letters that follow –same as on the registration decal Owner shall maintain the plate so it is in legible condition Plate shall be attached to the rear of the vehicle

When this law starts you bet well be seeing more of the DNR on the trails as they will be enforcing the law and handing out tickets for those who don't have the required licence plate. Some ATV dealers will have plates and numbers available. Haven't heard of any in the Milwaukee area so I need to find a plate.

Reverend Cooper
05-06-2012, 06:14 AM
pretty sure youll get charged for the numbers like a boat.just another way the man gets yo money

UnderPSI
05-06-2012, 09:05 AM
Lets just hope they put the money back into the trails rather than buying some sort of bug to release to eat some other sort of bug...

BoosTT
05-07-2012, 07:37 AM
Wtf

JOHN 86GT
05-07-2012, 09:08 AM
I'm surprised it took this long. Next will be plates on all trailers....

Cryptic
05-07-2012, 10:48 AM
trailers with a VIN all have plates.

JOHN 86GT
05-07-2012, 01:38 PM
I'm talking small boat trailers , utility and ATV trailers . Illinois is like that.

pOrk
05-07-2012, 05:13 PM
trailers with a VIN all have plates.

incorrect

0TransAm0
05-07-2012, 06:20 PM
Just registered a ATV I bought and the dnr doesnt charge any extra for plates. She basically said you make your own. And buy them from menards/fleet farm. Ect.. And buy the number/letter stickers to put on them. Not a big deal and shouldnt cost more than $15

-stew-
05-07-2012, 06:34 PM
I think trailer plating is based on weight. Annnnddddd what is the big bitch about having to display your registration on the rear?

spooln30
05-08-2012, 03:29 AM
Yes as I stated in my first post we have to supply the materials and make our own plates. The DNR or the state WILL NOT sell plates. I haven't found a place to buy the plates but when I do I will post where I got it and how much it costs. I did read that the DNR will enforce their "visible" plate part of the law and will hand out tickets if it seems like you are purposely not keeping the plate clean enough to be read. GAY.

BoosTT
05-08-2012, 09:22 AM
Its unneeded IMO. Its just like a jetski now...

You only need to register trailers over 3k lbs in Wisconsin. That means only trailers with brakes. I already register my car, truck, pwc, atv, motorcycle and camper... I don't want to register my trailers too!

Al
05-08-2012, 10:13 AM
I perceived trailer registration as being a safeguard against theft. Knowing many people who have had their stuff jacked, I feel the same about anything with wheels, an engine. or sails.

badass88gt
05-09-2012, 08:52 PM
Just another pain in the ass from the DNR.