PDA

View Full Version : Best GPS Unit

VroomPshhTsi
04-28-2012, 10:49 AM
I'm sure there is a thread out there for this but I couldn't find it.
Just wondering what everyone's experience have been with their GPS unit.
Garmin vs. Tom Tom, which models are better, which extra features are useful, which are not, etc.

Prince Valiant
04-28-2012, 02:00 PM
You'll get a lot of "I love my" what I own answer here...so let me be the first:

I love my garmin! Gives me real time traffic data and options to reroute around it, seriously can find everything within minutes...the most obscure little Diner? It's on there, and easy to dial up and get directions to. Punch in "Motel 6" (so the wife and I can know we'll easily find a motel that will take our dogs at no extra cost) and it'll show us 20 different locations and distances/directions to them all while in the most desolate areas of the country (seriously, in the middle of the bonnevile salt flats, all info came right away via the GPS).

On top of that, free lifetime updates on the maps, the ability to be configured for use while biking or walking (and I imagine boats, etc) and a very reasonable cost. It seriously has been one of my favorite recent purchases.

Waver
04-28-2012, 02:06 PM
They both have their pros and cons....It is all on the user and how often their updates come out. Last year I used the TOMTOM on vacation and never got lost, plus it was easy to use....I used a garmin two years before that and the results were the same.

SSDude
04-28-2012, 03:35 PM
Been using the google nav on the smart phone. If you need more info bells and whistles tom tom or garmin bothwork great

nismodave
04-28-2012, 05:48 PM
Garmin all you need to know....

michelle
04-28-2012, 06:17 PM
I like my Garmin. Needs to be updated though, but I imagine I would be better off just purchasing a new unit since they are cheaper now. I've had mine for over 4 or 5 years too. I gave it the cute British accent. (:

03Seville
04-28-2012, 07:17 PM
Another vote for Garmin, have one in each car and one on my bike and never had an issue

Cryptic
04-28-2012, 09:45 PM
I use my phone unless I am out of a 3g / 4g area.. Then I resort to the Garmin. They are all comparable nowadays.

GHOSST
05-02-2012, 06:49 PM
I love my Garmin Nuvi!

Phone GPS sucks balls unless your in a good area. For example, works like ass here in bumfuck NC. Works like a charm when I'm in Milwaukee.

I just like my Garmin for ease of use, and the only cost is the initial price, well, unless you want map upgrades. Mine were 2009, so I just paid for one map update, like $50 or something, but that was for the complete North American, so I'm good for Mexico and Canada eh'. :)

bikedad
05-02-2012, 09:18 PM
My Garmin Nuvi is great. (actually own 3)
Now I use my Galaxy SII Smart phone though.

BadAzzGTA89
05-03-2012, 04:28 PM
Being a truck driver i love my Garmin nuvi 465t ( for semi's) and as stated before traffic update being able to look up places and it also showing there number is priceless.
Also map update ,bluetooth, and fm transmitter...
Never got lost or sent out of route all the rest are just not as good per dollar spent.

Gregor
05-09-2012, 10:40 PM
Droid with the navi app. After using it I tossed out my Garmin.

After 6 months of use the screen developed lines, burnt pixels, and would just shutdown and restart. Most of the time it would be fine but other times it would ask to dock to a computer. And then lock up.

BoosTT
05-10-2012, 07:53 AM
Droid using google maps. I like the sat view it provides too!