PDA

View Full Version : ATV thread repair

DSMDuDE
04-23-2012, 11:40 AM
last week i picked up a 2005 Polaris Predator 500 Troy Lee Design. This weekend i changed the coolant, and was going to change the oil. Go to loosen the oil tank drain screw and it's stripped, will not unscrew. Fine.. Ill order another oil tank off of eBay for $30.00

unscrewed the crankcase drain plug, drained the oil, went to tighten the plug back up, and come to find out the threads are fucked. Alum motor and steel drain plug, common ATV problem.

So, Who is good at thread repair using a Time-Sert? I called Action in Waukesha, they said $105-$125 + parts to repair, Called Don and Roy's, didn't like the service dudes attitude, so F em.

There is straight access to the drain plug.

Nick

Haulin' Oates
04-24-2012, 10:05 AM
A retard could use a time-sert. I absolutely love those things! I used one to fix a stripped sparkplug hole in my bmw motorcycle. I think I got mine through wttool.com

DSMDuDE
04-24-2012, 12:13 PM
That's something I don't trust myself to do. Something goes wrong.... Case replacement.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Haulin' Oates
04-24-2012, 04:16 PM
Whatever works for you, but using those things is a treat. I think your quoted prices aren't unreasonable. I think I paid 110 for just the tool to fix my motorcycle.