PDA

View Full Version : tire help/ hookup

Ricky Bobby
04-18-2012, 07:24 PM
245/70 16 is what i need was cutting the grass jeep parked in driveway heard a bang and seen the tire on the other side of drive way go down. Look have a 2.5" gash in sidewall basically just blew out, tires are about 6yrs old have 1/4 tread left so might as well replace them all anyone have any laying around that are good/cheap or does anyone have a deal they can help me out thanx in advance..

WickedSix
04-19-2012, 09:42 AM
235/65r16 is closest I have laying around 2 goodyear around 40%, 2 firestone around 50%

awsomeears
04-19-2012, 10:06 AM
So what did the lawnmower launch at it ?

Ricky Bobby
04-23-2012, 08:16 AM
the tire that blew was on the opposite side of me when it blew so if something did hit it curved and did some matrix shit, also just called on tires and they are saying awd has to get 4 tires cant put on just 2??

WickedSix
04-23-2012, 08:41 AM
the tire that blew was on the opposite side of me when it blew so if something did hit it curved and did some matrix shit, also just called on tires and they are saying awd has to get 4 tires cant put on just 2??

depends how different the diameters are/how worn....etc some cars are much more sensitive to it.... like a subby... others not so much... fwiw the two pairs I had mentioned were on my wifes awd equinox for a month until we could afford new tires and the awd never thru a code

Car Guy
04-23-2012, 08:41 AM

Car Guy
04-23-2012, 08:45 AM

Ultimately that really depends on how much of a chance you want to take regarding the vehicle's parts, specifically front and rear differentials. With AWD all 4 tires -should- have the same diameter or as close to as possible. This is why roatating tires on an AWD vehicle is much more important than a 2WD vehicle. If you want to go a step further all 4 tires -should- have the same tread pattern. However, I seen 200k+ mile AWD vehicles with all original parts and the only time the tire's diameter and tread pattern matched was when it left the showroom floor.

depends how different the diameters are/how worn....etc some cars are much more sensitive to it.... like a subby... others not so much... fwiw the two pairs I had mentioned were on my wifes awd equinox for a month until we could afford new tires and the awd never thru a code

I came across a few AWD vehicles with horribly mis-matched tire sizes and a code was never thrown. One was a Subaru.

Irish
04-23-2012, 09:55 AM
From what I have read on the Jeep forums, specifically the WJ, it is VERY important that you have the same size tires and same air pressure all the way around.

WickedSix
04-23-2012, 10:05 AM
It really comes down to how the logic for the awd works and how the center differential works. We build 20k lb awd trucks...the logic/tolerance isn't near the same as a high end automotive system..... the dynamic rolling radius of the tires are influenced by many different things... vehicle loading, tire pressure, tire manufacturer, tread depth.... the chances of obtaining 4 tires perfectly matched is slim to none... there is an amount of tolerance built into an awd vehicle to account for these issues... there is a center differential to account for disproportionate speeds front to rear when cornering...it can also account for new vs partially worn tires... but any manufacturer will say you cannot because they do not want to warranty something if it was used even slightly different than they intended.

Irish
04-23-2012, 10:17 AM
I don't know much about the sensitivity level of 20k lb trucks but I have read many stories about the WJ being very, very finicky.. ie breaks easily depending which transfer case your WJ Grand Cherokee came with.

Ricky Bobby
04-24-2012, 08:34 AM
just bit the bullet and bought 4 new ones, truck actually drives a lot nicer than the 6yr old tires we had on there

Car Guy
04-24-2012, 09:52 AM
Mmmmm, new tires. What brand and model tires did you get?