PDA

View Full Version : Whats the current Paypal / Craigslist situation.

BR3W CITY
04-17-2012, 11:57 AM
So I have someone interested a few parts I have up for sale. They aren't "overpaying" or making any weird offers with cashiers checks....guy just simply wants to know if he sends paypal, if I will ship the item (less than $100 value). Are there still "backcharging" scams using stolen credit cards etc, or is it legit to do assuming its a confirmed shipping address etc?

I haven't done this in a while so I don't know where the loopholes are that screw ya.

Car Guy
04-17-2012, 12:29 PM
Considering the situation I would ask the buyer to send a USPS money order. They are about as secure of a third party payment as you can get besides cash. Without a documented agreement like an eBay auction/ad PayPal will offer very little if any recourse for you or the buyer if there is an issue of any kind. You being the seller hold all the chips and the buyer might be weary of that. Tell him/her crimes committed when using a USPS money order are considered a felony and very prosecutable.

Haulin' Oates
04-17-2012, 12:39 PM
If you ship him the item to a verfied address through a method that uses delivery confimation like UPS you will have all the information you need if someone tries to initiate a fraudulent claim against you. I have done that type of deal as both a buyer and seller on CL with success in the past.

PureSound15
04-17-2012, 01:04 PM
If you ship him the item to a verfied address through a method that uses delivery confimation like UPS you will have all the information you need if someone tries to initiate a fraudulent claim against you. I have done that type of deal as both a buyer and seller on CL with success in the past.

https://whyweprotest.net/asset-proxy/6771140d1600b8cf24cfc34fa4bf6df5663dbf81/687474703a2f2f7777772e6472676f6e66616365626f6f6b2e 636f6d2f77702d636f6e74656e742f75706c6f6164732f3230 31312f30342f313330333635363033372d36352e706e67/http://www.drgonfacebook.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/1303656037-65.png

Car Guy
04-17-2012, 01:40 PM
If you ship him the item to a verfied address through a method that uses delivery confimation like UPS you will have all the information you need if someone tries to initiate a fraudulent claim against you.

This will NOT guarantee a 100% problem free transaction. The reality is you will never have 'all the information you need' when dealing with PayPal. PayPal is a lot more 'smoke and mirrors' than far too many people realize. I speak from many personal experiences as a buyer and seller during the course of many years.

Wagonbacker9
04-17-2012, 02:02 PM

This right here.

LIL EVO
04-17-2012, 02:07 PM
You have to look at it from his view, hes just looking for protection. If he just sends you or a random person a money order then hes screwed if you decide to disappear.

WickedSix
04-17-2012, 02:49 PM
You have to look at it from his view, hes just looking for protection. If he just sends you or a random person a money order then hes screwed if you decide to disappear.

this..will never send money order for goods

Haulin' Oates
04-17-2012, 03:03 PM
This will NOT guarantee a 100% problem free transaction. The reality is you will never have 'all the information you need' when dealing with PayPal. PayPal is a lot more 'smoke and mirrors' than far too many people realize. I speak from many personal experiences as a buyer and seller during the course of many years.

There are no guarantees in life. You take your chances and hedge your bets as best as you can.

LIL EVO
04-17-2012, 03:15 PM
As an example, I just sent a guy something. Ups said it was delivered, he said it wasnt there. He opened a pp claim so Im immediately out the money. Took about three weeks for ups to send me documentation that they spoke to him and he received it. He told me this was not correct.

Pp closed the claim, I got money back.

Buyer just appealed the claim and im out $120 again. This time he opened it as "significantly not as described". So he basically lied and said he received it to open the claim again.

I called ups and they just reopened the trace because no one has any idea what happened to it.

Ideally, ups will realize its gone or was "stolen", sends me money, then the buyer can get refunded. although in 2 years ive never had ups issue me a credit or money for their fuck up. Always a reason.. Packaging incorrect, my fault for this or that.

Car Guy
04-17-2012, 10:01 PM
I completely understand where you guys are coming from and the buyer's point of view. Shipping with signature confirmation is the best thing you can do through PayPal. What I'm saying is with PayPal if the buyer wants to screw you they will and there is nothing you can do to prevent it. The shitty fact is buyers have an advantage over sellers. This is something I learned after being scammed more times than my blood pressure cares to recall. I now pass on a deal if the buyer is not willing to go 'old school' with the payment.

If you use PayPal be sure to have the shipper require ONLY the buyer's signature is accepted in exchange for the package.

Nickerz
04-20-2012, 01:08 AM
Paypal is only designed to be used on large scale, low cost (relative to sales price) items. Using it for sales here and there where the item cost is equal to selling price to you is usually a bad idea. Like noted above, its just heart attack fuel.

BR3W CITY
04-20-2012, 10:14 AM
well he sent the money, under the correct name. Only thing is he wants it sent to his apartment @ college in PA, his address is registered in NJ (but is verified).
I'm right on the fence about this, but I kind of don't give a shit...the bank account verified to my paypal account is going to be closed in 3 days anyway.

thoughts?

Nickerz
04-21-2012, 04:07 PM
well he sent the money, under the correct name. Only thing is he wants it sent to his apartment @ college in PA, his address is registered in NJ (but is verified).
I'm right on the fence about this, but I kind of don't give a shit...the bank account verified to my paypal account is going to be closed in 3 days anyway.

thoughts?

Only send to the ship to address period. You don't even qualify for seller protection if you don't. So he claims he never got it, you submit tracking for a different state, send emails and what not and it says your purchase doesn't qualify.

As for the bank account thing, you signed for what is essentially ACH. So if they pull the funds, it will just put your account in the negative and the bank will send your account to collections if you don't pay it.