PDA

View Full Version : automotive additives

LEWETHETIGER73
04-06-2012, 06:41 AM
Just wondering what everone uses for there personal cars and why. It seems to be the talk of my shop lately. And has anyone ever used seafoam in their vacuum lines?

BR3W CITY
04-06-2012, 12:09 PM
Who HASN'T? Seafoam for errrrrverything I own. Seafoam in gas after storage, seafoam in oil right before change, seafoam in vac lines of any older/unstarted car.

LEWETHETIGER73
04-06-2012, 04:43 PM
What do you mean " in the oil before change"?

Ricky Bobby
04-06-2012, 09:56 PM
Pick up a can and read it

Rocket Power
04-06-2012, 11:05 PM
Never used it, don't plan on ever using it.

spooln30
04-06-2012, 11:31 PM
I've used Seafoam to clear up a sticky Injector, intake cleaner, oil cleaner and to piss off my neighbor. LOL. I had a friend that had a head gasket leak and didn't have the cash to properly fix it right away so I poured in a bottle of Bar's Leak Head Gasket repair. Guess what its been 1 1/2 years and its still working. It was a decent leak so I was surprised. I've also had good luck with their rear main seal stop leak, lucky like 4 or 5 times. I personally will just fix what ever is wrong with my or my families vehicles but some of my broke friends or their friends that's a different story.

BR3W CITY
04-07-2012, 11:43 AM
What do you mean " in the oil before change"?

put in oil, let idle for a few minutes warm, then change oil. Crap builds up everywhere, this helps get it out. Do NOT drive for long distances or run high rpm while doing it, as it does reduce certain lubricating factors, but isn't traditionally "abrasive". Hard to explain, but it works.

LEWETHETIGER73
04-07-2012, 09:01 PM
good to know, thanks
\

wrath
04-08-2012, 08:58 AM
Nope. Never seems to do anything that Dexron VI or Marvel Mystery Oil doesn't do for cheaper. Or a quart of naptha.

BR3W CITY
04-08-2012, 11:25 AM
Nope. Never seems to do anything that Dexron VI or Marvel Mystery Oil doesn't do for cheaper. Or a quart of naptha.

I have never seen someone recommend dumping atf into an engine to clean it. I've heard of putting a little in a lawn tractor or 2 stroke to help clean it out, but with all the shit in atf wouldn't you be leaving just as much crap as you took out?

OR is there something different about Dex VI than, III or V?

Moparjim
04-08-2012, 12:17 PM
The atf thing is an old school thing, I used to do that way back on old muscle cars, and used to even "fog" motors with it by pouring it right down the carb right before changing the oil and before pulling and storing engines.

Nowadays I would never recommend any type of atf, every type of atf that I know of has some sort of friction additives so your trans clutches work prooerly, and detergents and other stuff. Old school cars were pretty simple and forgiving as far as bearings, tolerances, clearances, oil oassages, etc. modern cars are not lol.

wrath
04-08-2012, 02:58 PM
Dexron II and III don't exist anymore. You're stuck with Dexron VI.

ATF is full of detergents and is fairly low ash for what it is. It burns easy, which is why it works.

The way most of them work is a different combustion temperature causes the crap to fall off. Doesn't really matter what it is which is why water works. Some stuff is pretty abusive to oxygen sensors and monolith catalytic converters.

brotherbenn83
04-16-2012, 08:04 AM
we use ATF in dirty engines all the time FWIW

BR3W CITY
04-16-2012, 09:48 AM
Damn I feel out of touch, I've literally never tried that. I guess I've always had an extra can of seafoam, or never had an engine that dirty.
Gonna have to keep this one in the back of my mind.

brotherbenn83
04-16-2012, 10:21 AM
Work at a GM dealer, we used to do it a lot in cars with internal coolant leaks (3.1/3.4/4.3/5.7etc) Run 80% oil and 20% trans fluid for an hour or two or if it is real bad for the first 500 miles after say an intake reseal.

BoosTT
04-16-2012, 02:00 PM
I've been known to dump texron fuel injector cleaner in the tank of my Audi. It's sworn by audi owners that it cleans the gas gauge sensor. Otherwise, I've done seafoam and heat.

I've tried the bars stop leak head gasket repair... didn't work for me. A buddy got it to work, but clogged his heater core.

Sprayaway Fox
04-16-2012, 09:32 PM
If you ever have a HG leak find a shop with the "seal tabs" they basically look like quarter sized particle board. Those will seal just about anything.

wrencher
04-23-2012, 11:41 PM
I've used sea foam, trans fluid to oil, techron, & others.
I also like to use either lucas ZDDP oil additive.
New oils have very little to no zinc anti-wear additives in them anymore.
If your running no catalyst= no foul.
If your running an older car much more reason to run it specially with flat tappet cams etc.