PDA

View Full Version : Ford 6.2 VS. GM 6.2

BOSS LX
03-23-2012, 08:19 PM
Kinda a cool read.
http://www.truckinweb.com/tech/1205tr_prochargers_6_2_l_battle_ford_raptor_vs_gmc _sierra/viewall.html

GHOSST
03-24-2012, 10:54 AM
Meh,

Kinda figured the Raptor would have the edge. It's like GM doesn't care about competitiveness anymore, its all green this and green that..

The Raptor is one cool ass truck.

LIL EVO
03-24-2012, 12:14 PM
What ever happened with those issues of the frame bending at the bed?

Irish
03-24-2012, 04:27 PM
Wasnt that a Tacoma issue too?

LIL EVO
03-24-2012, 04:39 PM
There was some link posted here awhile back after raptor owners went offroading or something

Naffanya
03-24-2012, 06:16 PM
looks good !

GHOSST
03-24-2012, 07:10 PM
There was some link posted here awhile back after raptor owners went offroading or something

So the frames bent when they went offroading?

looks good !

This your first time doing this? lol

DRK
03-24-2012, 08:59 PM
So the frames bent when they went offroading?

Yes when running 100+MPH across the desert and jumping it 6+ft off the ground at speed on the outlaw run some have bent

Rocket Power
03-24-2012, 09:05 PM
Raptor is better looking and has more power. Ford = WIN. LOL

LIL EVO
03-24-2012, 09:31 PM
The original link made it seem like it was just from "regular offroad use"

The truth comes out!

Prince Valiant
03-24-2012, 09:57 PM
Raptor is better looking and has more power. Ford = WIN.
I don't know if one can say "better looking" fairly...I mean, it might have more appeal to some and that's fine. Personally I think it's the truck equivalent to an STI/EVO in that it's certainly purpose built and looks the part and can do what it advertises it says it can do...but might look a little "boy-racer-ish" for many to want to drive one on a daily basis.

BOSS LX
03-24-2012, 11:48 PM
6.2 isn't only a Raptor engine. The frame issue as I understand it was due too a bump stop that would bottom out in extreme conditions. I think I read that the fix is a $200 re-location bracket.

Thought it was cool to see a 2v large displacement Ford making great numbers!

BR3W CITY
03-25-2012, 11:27 AM
As cool as the raptor is; I was about 20 min from the Baja this week, and the Raptor has replaced 2500 series trucks as the "Bro-mobile" or "Bro-dozer" for flat brimmers.

Prince Valiant
03-25-2012, 12:28 PM
6.2 isn't only a Raptor engine.
But it is not like it has wide availability...much like the 6.2 GM, it takes a lot of truck to get that engine....

---a quick check shows that the cheapest model with the 6.2 available is the Lariat w/ a base price of $35,245...but to get the 6.2 one needs the supercrew (2785 option) before adding the 2020 optional 6.2...so the cheapest one can get into a 6.2 non-HD model is 42,230 bucks. One might as well get a raptor since it's only ~ 500 bucks more and comes with 4x4....or just get an HD, which still starts at just under 30 b/f ttl....though it's a heavier chasis with a slightly detuned version of the 6.2 (385hp/400ft-lbs tq).

keep in mind, this is still cheaper than what you can get the gm 6.2 in...in the GMC it's a 45+G denali...

Rocket Power
03-25-2012, 12:56 PM
I don't know if one can say "better looking" fairly...I mean, it might have more appeal to some and that's fine. Personally I think it's the truck equivalent to an STI/EVO in that it's certainly purpose built and looks the part and can do what it advertises it says it can do...but might look a little "boy-racer-ish" for many to want to drive one on a daily basis.

While the GMC isn't as bad, the 07 and up Chevy got hammered with the ugly stick.
I like the Raptor and regular F150 looks much more than the GM counterparts.

Rocket Power
03-25-2012, 12:59 PM
But it is not like it has wide availability...much like the 6.2 GM, it takes a lot of truck to get that engine....

---a quick check shows that the cheapest model with the 6.2 available is the Lariat w/ a base price of $35,245...but to get the 6.2 one needs the supercrew (2785 option) before adding the 2020 optional 6.2...so the cheapest one can get into a 6.2 non-HD model is 42,230 bucks.

That's in the same price range my 01 Screw was when new and I only have the 5.4. :) Either way I'd rather wait a few years and pick one up used and save a bunch.

Jsho13
03-25-2012, 01:08 PM
keep in mind, this is still cheaper than what you can get the gm 6.2 in...in the GMC it's a 45+G denali...

GM's 6.2 is available in more trucks than just the denali

Prince Valiant
03-25-2012, 03:16 PM
GM's 6.2 is available in more trucks than just the denaliWhy not answer the question...which is the cheapest truck the 6.2 comes in? The cheapest is an chevy LT extended cab standard box 2wd that starts MSRP's @ $35030

Prince Valiant
03-25-2012, 05:24 PM
The frame issue as I understand it was due too a bump stop that would bottom out in extreme conditions. I think I read that the fix is a $200 re-location bracket.so are you saying the bump stop is stronger than the frame?

BOSS LX
03-25-2012, 09:27 PM
From what I understand all the frames bent at the same BAJA event. Maybe we should ask all the other STOCK trucks in the event how their frames are. lol

Ricky Bobby
03-25-2012, 09:50 PM
meh its a ford

Prince Valiant
03-25-2012, 10:35 PM
From what I understand all the frames bent at the same BAJA event. Maybe we should ask all the other STOCK trucks in the event how their frames are. lolWell, the point is that the reason they broke had nothing to do with bump stops...they were but the first to fail on the way to frame failure. If anything, bump stops would have reduce the failure rate since they'd absorb some of the enegery to break them that would otherwise go to bending the frame.

My understanding (though the even oragnizer in which 10 of 14 trucks bent disagrees) was that they did a poor job pre-running and marking the course, leading some to go faster than conditions than was otherwise prudents. I mean, trucks failr, even dedicated baja build trucks will encounter obstacles that lead to their fairlure...it happens. Go out there thinking you truck can take any amount of abuse you through at it, you'll find out quickly this is far from the case.

That said, the truck until only recently was only a so-so offroader....trailblazer/baja type, its hard to find competitors...but the slow-as-you-go stuff, the truck wasn't well suited, perhaps less so than many stock-ish trucks brought off the showroom floor.

But that they bent at the SAME even is somewhat false...many had bent elsewhere and at different events...it was just one event in partifucular that really brought the prob tot he forefront.

Meh....give me a wrangler rubicon or a Ram power wagon for unsurpassed off roading capability as I'd likely find myself doing, either around here or out west. They can't do what the raptor does on the highspeed roads of the baja, but they raptor is also unlikely able to the the intense steep rocky switchbacks I see out in CO either....or at least do it with as less drama.

Plus, I can get the hemi in a truck that cost as little as 21G...and for roughly the same cost as a raptor, have it outfitted with parts to make it the "Ram Runner" for nearly the same cost with the same factory warranty. (actually could get one ! 400 lbs lighter since I could get a reg cab version).

I mean, don't get me wrong...they're all cool trucks. Wish GM had a version of such...but less face it....the're all extremely unpractical for what we need around here.

but let's face it...most AWD vehicles with decent ground clearence will probably impress off road...I took my compass back on some federal lands with steep swithbacks/rocks strewn and was fairly impressed....required a bit more work and spotting, but it got the job done.

wrath
03-26-2012, 09:08 AM
The only problem with the Raptor is that it weighs way too much. Since 1997, all Ford pickups have had floppy bedsides and wet-noodle rear frames. Can solve one of the problems by always having a tailgate (will still diamond enough to break a fiberglass topper offroad though), the other problem will probably continue to haunt them for some time yet. It's difficult to get the frames to meet crash test standards, be strong, and not weigh too much.

I have a lot of pictures of Powerwagons and Raptors with manufacturer plates playing around in dayoop. They both get stuck about the same (both are WAY too heavy). The Powerwagons feel heavy, the Raptors feel large (like driving a H1 with twice the ponies).

If they made a GM version in the $40k range I'd probably buy one. Probably would end up lowering it though. I have my truck on 44s to play with.

Irish
03-26-2012, 09:45 AM
Well, the point is that the reason they broke had nothing to do with bump stops...they were but the first to fail on the way to frame failure. If anything, bump stops would have reduce the failure rate since they'd absorb some of the enegery to break them that would otherwise go to bending the frame.

My understanding (though the even oragnizer in which 10 of 14 trucks bent disagrees) was that they did a poor job pre-running and marking the course, leading some to go faster than conditions than was otherwise prudents. I mean, trucks failr, even dedicated baja build trucks will encounter obstacles that lead to their fairlure...it happens. Go out there thinking you truck can take any amount of abuse you through at it, you'll find out quickly this is far from the case.

That said, the truck until only recently was only a so-so offroader....trailblazer/baja type, its hard to find competitors...but the slow-as-you-go stuff, the truck wasn't well suited, perhaps less so than many stock-ish trucks brought off the showroom floor.

But that they bent at the SAME even is somewhat false...many had bent elsewhere and at different events...it was just one event in partifucular that really brought the prob tot he forefront.

Meh....give me a wrangler rubicon or a Ram power wagon for unsurpassed off roading capability as I'd likely find myself doing, either around here or out west. They can't do what the raptor does on the highspeed roads of the baja, but they raptor is also unlikely able to the the intense steep rocky switchbacks I see out in CO either....or at least do it with as less drama.

Plus, I can get the hemi in a truck that cost as little as 21G...and for roughly the same cost as a raptor, have it outfitted with parts to make it the "Ram Runner" for nearly the same cost with the same factory warranty. (actually could get one ! 400 lbs lighter since I could get a reg cab version).

I mean, don't get me wrong...they're all cool trucks. Wish GM had a version of such...but less face it....the're all extremely unpractical for what we need around here.

but let's face it...most AWD vehicles with decent ground clearence will probably impress off road...I took my compass back on some federal lands with steep swithbacks/rocks strewn and was fairly impressed....required a bit more work and spotting, but it got the job done.

Were you drunk when you typed this? I am going to say "Yes" based on errors lol. Sad thing is, you edited it. lol...

Just giving you a little shit because the books you type do not have that many mis-spelled words!

wheelsofsteel
03-26-2012, 10:04 AM
Hate Hate Hate Hate

Irish
03-26-2012, 10:19 AM
Hate Hate Hate Hate

Haters gonna hate!

Prince Valiant
03-26-2012, 10:47 AM
Were you drunk when you typed this? I am going to say "Yes" based on errors lol. Sad thing is, you edited it. lol...

Yup...just got back from watching games...wife had to drive me home, which is quite the rarity. Got a bit drunker than I had anticipated since I had gone for a 60 mile bike ride, lol. Believe me, I didn't edit to correct mispellings...just to add the last paragraph according to my edit history, lol....

OxmanWI
03-26-2012, 10:59 AM
I'd like to seeFord bring the Lightning back with a supercharged 6.2 stock. Wishful thinking...

Naffanya
06-11-2012, 03:29 PM
you are right